V-Mike

Downsize to [email protected]

I'm thinking about downsize right now... Anybody can help with advices/ideas?

For today I have about 800 jumps and ~650 (!!!) of them I've made with my Crossfire1-119 @1.6.
I think I'm not ready for X-braced yet because my early start with Xfire (jump#150) was not perfect - I've tryed to break earth for two times, I remember that lesson and don't want make so stupid mistakes again.

For now (last ~300 jumps), I fly not bad, almost every jump I make 270 or 360 front riser turn and then swoop straight or carve, between blades or people - so almost whatever I want. If something wrong - altitude is critically low, or somebody unexpectedly appears in my approach - I always interrupt appraoch and land somethere next to blades.

So I think I'm ready to order new Crossfire2-95 @2.0 and use it for next 600-800 jumps.

What do you think about this?

if your not ready to load a crossbraced at 2.0 your not ready to load a crossfire at 2.0

I have to agree with Marks if you have the ablity to fly a non-crossbraced canopy at 2.0 you are ready to fly a crossbrace. The crossbraced at 2.0 with be easier to fly than the crossfire.

From what the folks at Icuras have told me, the upper side of the "sweetspot" wingloading is about 1.85:1, or basically somewhere between 1.8 and 1.9. Thus according to them, at 2.0 you'll be beyond the performance of the canopy.

Atleast, that's what Icuras says.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think that as you go smaller, perceived differences in performance for a given percentage change in size become greater.

Skipping a size at this point would not be prudent.

If you're looking for distance/glide you also need to be careful about going past the optimum wing loading.

You might even find that you want to split between stock sizes - when I was playing with Samurais before shrinking my belly, up here at 5000 feet MSL a 120 @ 1.7 wasn't enough and a 105 @ 1.9 was a bit much (stall speed, altitude lost in turns, etc.) so I was going to order a 110.

Demo a 109 first, put a few dozen jumps on it, and see how you like it. If that's not enough you might try the next smaller size and see how that works; although I definately would not order anything without playing with it first.

From what the folks at Icuras have told me, the upper side of the "sweetspot" wingloading is about 1.85:1, or basically somewhere between 1.8 and 1.9. Thus according to them, at 2.0 you'll be beyond the performance of the canopy.

BINGO.. Listen to Dave.. I have been loading mine around 2.0.. At 1.85 it was considerably friendlier on the bottom end..

Rhino

Why do you want to downsize?
Derek

Thirst of all, I want to change my current canopy. I own old retrimmed Crossfire1 (dom 1999, ~800 jumps) and I think I've already got almost everything from it. And I wanna fly good loaded X-braced in future. For economy reason, I don't want to make too many steps between my current canopy and X-braced one. And of course, I don't think ordering, for example, VX @2.2 after my current Crossfire @1.6 - is good idea.
And one more reason - I can easily spend money for ordering new canopy right now, but I'm not realy sure I will be able to do it next summer when, maybe, I'll be ready to fly X-braced.

Why not go to a 109 first?
PhreeZone

I've jumped about 20 times with Icarus demo-Xfire2 109. It was nice and pretty fast, and I've felt I can load it more. Maybe it was my mistake?

I thought the performance on a XF2 peaked at 1.8 and then dropped off again.
Dazzle

...and 2 FreeFlyASC, AggieDave, jumperconway, DrewEckhardt, rhino:

Ok, I've got main idea. What can you, guyes, say, if I'll decide to decrease my next w/l with Crossfire2 to ~1.85?
I realy wanna swoop long and perfect, so I'll be glad to hear all you opinions about optimum w/l!

I realy wanna swoop long and perfect, so I'll be glad to hear all you opinions about optimum w/l!

My opinion? Don't have one yet, my Xfire2 demo will be here in a few hours. I was just telling you what the reps at Icarus told me (as I said in the previous post). They know their canopies well and want it to perform to its fullest for you.

The demo I'm getting is a 149, depending on beer/pizza consumption this week I'll load between 1.8 and 1.9.:P Ok, seriously, I should be loading it at almost exactly 1.85:1, so after I can get a good number of jumps on it, I'll besure to post my opinion.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

in my opinion if your going to load a canopy at over 1.8 you should go with a crossbraced canopy...

why do you have to load a crossbraced at 2.2?

i load mine a 2.0 flies very well at that wing loading.... it also responds well to some added extra weight to get my loading up a little higher...

if you not ready to load at 2.0 on a crossbraced then your not ready to do that on any canopy.

1.8 is a good wingloading for a crossfire. i got about 600-700 jumps on a crossfire at that loading.. and then going to a crossbraced a 2.0 was very very easy...