Freakflyer804

Which gets the better Swoop?

I am buying new gear, I need to hear from experience, the better canopy. Ok in corner #1 we have the Stilletto 135... in Corner #2 we Have the Xfire2 129... and finally in corner #3 we have the Nitron.... Your thoughts? On Swoops? And just plain all around? Thanks Bule Ones
-Scott B|
--------------------------------------------------
What doesn't kill you... only requires brief hospitalization!!

I only see two choices.;) The other two canopies are very similar in swoopability. It is more an issue of piloting as far as better swoops. Choose the lower wing loading and the better price.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

The Nitron Kicks some serious ass all the way around.

The flight characteristics of a Stiletto is second to none. It swoops well but to be honest doesn't have the bottom end as the other 2 listed.

The Cross fire is good but I don't like it's flight characteristics as well as the others. It swoops very well though.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The Cross fire is good but I don't like it's flight characteristics as well as the others.

What about the Crossfire don't you like? Are you referring to the CF, or the CF2? What about the Stiletto makes it a good canopy, for you? I'm just curious.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Thats a good question..

In short, I like how fast a Stiletto responds. If only it had the bottom end.....

The Stiletto responds very quickly to Toggle input. Some people call that twitchy. (Just wait till they highly wingload a small 27 cell hehehe.....) I love that feeling. It floats rather well too.

The CF and CF2 don't respond as quickly. The CF I didn't like at all. The CF2 is nice but doesn't turn as quickly as the stiletto. It's Bottom end is a lot more powerful though. I like it well enough but I prefer a quicker response.

I suspect that the Katana.. should they choose to call it that, will be very stilettoesgue with much more powerful bottom end.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I agree with hookitt's assesment of the CF and CF2 and as much as I liked my old Stilettos I'll agree with that lack off botom end compared with the other two. The openings on the Nitron are some of the best I've experienced. As a matter of fact, the entire Precision line has the sweetes openings I've come across.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The CF2 is nice but doesn't turn as quickly as the stiletto.

Thats exactly what I like about it. Some people like very responsive canopies. I prefer the longer control range of the xfire2 (and all the Icarus canopies for that matter). I jumped a lotus once and it had the fastest turns of any canopy I've ever jumped. It was also the most uncomfortable canopy ride I had ever had. Brain Germain was extremely disappointed when I told him I had no intrest in his canopies.

To each his own. I have a buddy who has a xfire 169 in one rig and a stilleto 170 in the other, and he definetly prefers the xfire for swooping.

I love mine also.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Lotus was a fast turner? Thatts unusual since its the same shape and basically the same design as a Sabre2. On the computer plotter they match up in a lot of areas.

The Crossfire2 is a much more aggressive design then the Lotus. Even the Safire has more taper angle then the Lotus.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

am buying new gear, I need to hear from experience, the better canopy. Ok in corner #1 we have the Stilletto 135... in Corner #2 we Have the Xfire2 129... and finally in corner #3 we have the Nitron.... Your thoughts? On Swoops? And just plain all around? Thanks Bule Ones

any of these canopies will swoop really well in the right hands. it all depends on what you like.

the nitron and stilleto have shorter recovery arc, while the crossfire has a much longer one.

i have no experience under a nitron, but i do under a crossfire (200 or so jumps) and stilleto (not much, like 50 or so jumps). i personally like the crossfire better.

reasons for liking the crossfire, i got consistant openings on it, unlike the stilleto. the crossfire had a deeper toggle stroke, which i like, where as the stilleto was quite short. and for me, the crossfire would swoop much further.

any of the canopes you have listed, will swoop and will swoop well if you fly them right.

later

If I had to choose between the three canopies you listed - i would go for a XF2 (but I have not jumped the Nitron - sorry PA). The XF2 is a good choice and the flare is really good.
But the Samurai from BAS are the best 9-cell I have jumped so far. Its very responsive, the lines are really short and it makes the canopy fun to fly. Its also easy to recover fast if you have to, but because of really low front reiser pressure you can keep it in a dive for a long time. The flare its amazing. It keeps going when other 9-cell are out of air (because of the airlocks) and the bottom end are really nice. The only thing thats not so good are the openings. The Samurai opens straight on heading, but the snivel are a little short, and it felt hard (but again I am used to the Xaos that opens really soft andwith a long snivel). If the openings are hard Brain Germain can make it with a bigger slider that makes it snivel more.
You should try it. You will be surprised how nice it is.

What's up Scott! This is Brian from Tallahasee. When are you heading back over?

Well I just bought a Velocity, so when it arrives you can jump my Stiletto 135 and see what you think. I love it. I've also jumped a Nitron 135 and enjoyed it as well...very similiar flight characteristics to my Stiletto but I felt it had a stronger flare (i.e. more lift). Never jumped XFire but know many people that do and they say pretty much the same thing everyone in this thread is saying. All I can say is demo, demo, demo.

I have jumped the crossfire (which is my primary canopy) and about 30-40 jumps on a stilletto... I like the short toggle stroke of a stiletto, but the dive is what makes the crossfire the canopy for me. as prev said the stil. has a shorter recover arch...I would say if someone had the same sized canopy and the same number of jumps on both that the crossfire may go a bit further.. it is mostly the pilot, where I have met people whith stil. that can swoop much further than me on my crossfire, but the crossfire is more "swoop attentive" in my optinion... the combination of the bottom end flare and the dive characteristics make me feel like it is more of a "swoopy" canopy than the stil. I have no idea abotu the nitron although I have seen a few get some pretty nice swoops...

-yoshi