Swoopyswoop

ATAIR's new canopy (ONYX)

Just wondering if anyone here has had the privelage to jump one of the new 36 cell onyx? It seems I have had to buy one instead of having the option to demo one. It appears to me that the waiting list for the onyx is approx 6 months. If anyone knows of a demo out thre or an easier way to get one please let me know. If not, I will just buy a couple and maybe demo them out to individuals
:)

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder

I saw Eric Butts flying the only one in existence -a 95- in Florida at the PST swoop meet. It looked and seemed to fly like any other high-performance canopy to me, but I did not get to take a close look or demo one.

Also, ALL of the Atair pilots were jumping competition cobalts during the actual competition rounds. Hmmm...where was the onyx?

Eric Butts competed in that meet under a Competition Cobalt 120. The Onxy 95 prototype was there, but Eric didn't jump it. Ramon Rionda jumped it once, as did someone else, but that was just for shits and grins. The main was in one of Hans Paulson's rigs. Both Ramon and Eric stayed in my room in Panama City.

Chuck

I saw Eric Butts flying the only one in existence -a 95- in Florida at the PST swoop meet.

Eric on a 95? What is that wing loading? ~2.6 - 2.7:1? Sounds xciting.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

eric should be on the production version of the onyx tomorrow cloudy skies permiting at the ranch in ny.

btw he is 280 # exit weight on the 95. I should be out there jumping it as well...

Sincerely,

Daniel Preston
Atair Aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

That's great.
Yes Stane told me that this version is faster (has steeper glide)
How about the control range. is it good or is the canopy easily stalled? how about the stability and turn rate (responsivnes). And flare power? Can it be "stopped" at the end or do you have to run?

Do you think this version could be it (the final) ?
"George just lucky i guess!"

control range is as all our canopies relativly deep.

very stable, even at 3#/' loading. very deep stall point on both toggles and rear risers.

flare is huge and canopy can be completely shut down even at 3# loading.

I am finishing a nose pattern now and it is definatly final.

Sincerely,

Dan<><>
Atair Aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Did you receive the latest ver. of Onyx (with improved nose), and tested it yet?
How is it ? :)Openings any better now?

Can't wait till it's released. B|

p.s.:How about that closed end cells. Will you try them on first version of onyx, or will they have to wait for onyx2 or something like that?
"George just lucky i guess!"