freakydiver

Stiletto or Safire2

I have about 500 jumps on my Sabre 135 loaded at 1.4 ish and am considering either a Stiletto or a Safire2. Anybody have any opinions leaning one way or the other? This canopy will be primarily used at a landing alti of 5000ft plus if that would make any difference between the two. Thanks in advance!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I don't have any massive desire to downsize. I like carving my final approaches, doing 120 degree carves most of the time. I really like the range I have now with my Sabre and am comfortable in all but the most insane landing conditions (i.e. have never had any issues with tight landing areas and the such or off airport landings...). I am primarily interested in two things. First, nicer openings. Second, giving myself more performance to work with and learn about.

Edit - I've got about 70 jumps under an equally sized Stiletto back in Wisconsin (obvious difference in landing elev.). Never really had any major problems carving it in back there or landing in tight situations...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

You know what the Spinetto flies like, I suggest demoing a Crossfire 2. The Safire isn't that much different than the Saber except better openings. The Stiletto can still spank you for no apparent reason like the Saber. The X-Fire 2 will never spank you and has a better bottom end than the others. The big performance difference to be careful of is that the X-Fire 2 will dive much deeper than the others. Be careful and enjoy.

Blue ones,
Xaos 21:)

I cant speak for the xfire yet but I have never had a bad opening under a safire or safire2. Bad position, track or whatever its always just how I remember it coming out of the bag. 300 of the exact same openings.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

And your Question is???????????
Obviously ,YOU haven't jumped a X-fire or you wouldn't ask the question!

Are you saying the x-fire IS a magic canopy?

LOL...!!! heheheh.. chill brutha :)

Dump in full track with trust everytime and? Try this with a Spinetto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1[:/][:/][:/]B|B|:o:o

If your profile is correct, I've done that with stilettos more times than you have jumps ;) So I'm positive that isn't true.

The comment was in regards to this. ==>The X-Fire 2 will never spank you ....

Never say never :P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Are you saying the x-fire IS a magic canopy?
----------------------------------------------

Mine is, ever since I rubbed it with my magic wand!!;):P

Um.... Eeewww :S LOL :D
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

back to the matter at hand..:) the cf2 is sweet the opening far exceed anything I have jumped (even if I dont have that many jumps) I would reccomend it to anyone who is looking for a high peformance wing that doenst have the undesired characteristics of a crossbraced canopy...
just my 2 cents
-yoshi

i just sold my sabre 120 and bought a stilleto 120. The first thing i noticed was the awesome openings. There was a huge difference!! Seems to fly great and theres a ton of flare on landing.. havnt flown the crossfire 2 so i cant compare, but i love my stilleto.

Have you tried a Sabre 2????

They are nothing like the original Sabre. They shouldn't even have the same name. Awesome openings, better performance, and there is no problem with elevation. I jump mine wingloaded at 1.5 at 4200 ft in El Paso. There are also some loaded at 1.7ish out there that perform awesome.
Atleast demo one out. I am sure you will be impressed!!!!!
John D-24352

The Stiletto can still spank you for no apparent reason like the Saber.

I put 600 jumps on a Stiletto 120 with no hard openings. Other people have a _lot_ more with no problems. It opened slower than the squares I've jumped, not quite as slow as a Spectre.

The Stiletto and Safire are different types of canopies. The Stiletto is the classic fully-elliptical canopy, implying control sensitivity, some degree of oversteer, and a slower stall speed.

The Safire is a more moderate design that won't be as touchy to fly and on openings.

If you stay curent and don't jump wing suits you might want something like the Stiletto. The Cross-Fire, Nitron, and Samurai also fit in that class. Which you prefer is largely a matter of personal preference although there's something to be said for used Stilettos selling for $500-$600 with a fresh lineet.

If you have lay-offs and/or jump wingsuits you might want something more conservative. Lotus, Omega, Pilot, Sabre 2, Safire, Spectre. Which you prefer is largely a matter of personal preference.

I am glad I didn't downsize and change from square to elliptical at the same time. Since you're staying the same size, this shouldn't be an issue.

I've got a few hundred Stiletto jumps and haven't been slammed yet. The closest I've come was with my new Stiletto I bought the other weekend. Its got a few patches and needs new lines bad, but hey, it cost me $300! It still landed awesome!! Its hard to beat the cost of a used Stiletto over a XF2 or something like that. Learn to fly your canopy and don't let it fly you!!