freebird

Sabre 2

What is the difference in the Sabre and the Sabre 2?
Does it have more swoop on landing? (The Sabre 2)
Is there more speed in the air?(Sabre 2)
Im getting a 135 Sabre (I have jumped a 135 Sabre). Im 100 pounds.
" ah geez" "The two of you's dummy up" !
Archie Bunker

The big difference is that it doesn't spank you on openings the way the "old" Sabre did.
I flew a 150 demo when I still had my "regular" 150 and to be quite honest I didn't notice much of a difference in flying characteristics. But I only put a couple of jumps on the demo so take that with a grain of salt. I'm sure others here have put more jumps on both and can offer more insight.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

The Sabre2 doesn't have anything in common with the Sabre except for the name. It is a completely newly designed canopy. It is not an "update" to the old one....
The Sabre 2 is "mildly eliptical", or "tapered". It will turn much quicker then the original Sabre. It's is not known for hard openings like the original.
I had trouble with the landing, but I've never heard that from anyone else - presumably the one I had was just one of those ones...
So, you can expect quick, tight turns, nice soft openings, and a good smooth flare. A slow smooth flare will give you nice turf surfs. Too many people don't learn to flare high performance canopies. I see so many people who basically have two toggle positions while landing - "Flare Off", and "Flare On". High performance canopies will always perform best when you use the full range of control, slowly moving from one extreme to the other. It is important that you flare both toggles togeather. Pulling one toggle faster then the other will dump you on your ass.
Depending on how much you're loading it, it can be quite a handfull requiring your full attention. At light loadings it will be rather gentle, leaving you some forgiveness for mistakes.
How appropriate this canopy is for you is entirely dependent on how much you're loading it, and your ability to handle that loading. The people who know you can answer that a whole lot better then any of us.
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

Hit the PD website, there is a Adobe Acrobat file on the Sabre2's flight characteristics :
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Sabre2-Flight.pdf
It has the exact comparison you want.
The way it was put to me, the only thing these two canopies have in common is the first 5 letters of thier names. The Sabre-2 could be considered more akin to a very slightly tapered Stilletto - similar openning, flight and landing characteristics without the twichiness of a more tapered planform. If you are curious to try one, talk to Kolla at PD about getting a demo (if your rig shows up and is assembled before you get the Sabre) or find a DZ near you that might have one to try?

I have never flown the original Sabre But I do like the sabre2. I got the chance to demo a fairly new 135 loaded at 1.4. I couldn't compare the speed because of some brisk winds on landing. but the glide was very close to some stillettos in our group loaded around the same. I usually try to demo in no winds to get a real sense of speed and hands off glide.
Its opening was very nice a little faster than the spectre or similar sized cobalt. I personally like long snivels but if you want something just a tad stiffer it fits the bill.
Overall I found the stall point, both toggle and RR, to be gradual and well mannered. Turns were faster than a non tapered 9 cell but not as fast as an elliptical. It had hardly any oversteer even when turned hard in and out of diving turns.
Riser pressure was fairly light well balanced. I really liked the flare. I would recommend one.

I only weigh 100 pounds so a 135 Sabre 2 should be docile for me ( I hope) I already paid for a custom colored Sabre 2 135. I told the person ( when I was ordering a canopy) that I wanted a good canopy that would suit a novice. I have about 30 jumps on a 170 and 31 on a 150 (both Sabres) They were considered to big for my small 100 pound frame. I could not pentrate any type of even small wind or breeze.
Archie Bunker

I thought I heard that the new Sabre 2 was also a 9 cell instead of a 7 cell. If so it would have all the attenuated advantages therein.

The original Sabre was also a 9 cell. The Spectre is PDs 7 cell offering.
-
Jim

To clarify, Sabre Is are rectangular 9-cells, while Sabre 2s are slightly tapered 9-cells. Sabre 2 competes directly with PISA Hornet and Icarus Safire.
Triathlons have 7 cells.
As for the urban myth of Sabre 1s spanking; the only time my Sabre 1: 170/150/135 spanked me was when I packed sloppily.

>As for the urban myth of Sabre 1s spanking; the only time my Sabre 1:
> 170/150/135 spanked me was when I packed sloppily.
The only time my Sabre 1 150 did _not_ spank me was after I got a Sabre 230 slider with a pocket on it. Mine was a pre-1995 canopy; after 1995 they put larger sliders on the canopies to help control the openings.
-bill von

They make great Demo canopies in the larger sizes....

If you're going to do that, you might as well just use a Spectre, if you want the characteristics of a 7-cell. That way you would get a better sink rate and better flare, since the Spectre is ZP.
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

No, you'd still get a better sink rate off the F111 canopy. ZP when snap flared, like whats required at some demos since you need to sink into a target, will actually increase the lift and pick you back up. F111 has very little surf capibility, that is a good thing on most demos. Its better to sink onto the 50 yard line then it is to surf from the 50 to the 40 since you are jumping a ZP canopy.
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Well I have decided to retrain my basic skills anyway. I will concentrate on the flare and pull high. I did not really want to have a real fast canopy I hope the 135 Sabre 2 is forgiving if I flare too late the frist couple of jumps.
Archie Bunker

I said better sink rate as in it didn't sink as fast, not the other way around and at the loadings that most people would jump them for demos, a ZP canopy wouldn't really surf unless you tried. You would have more flare to dig out with for a better reach incase you are short of your target.
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize