Jumperpaula

Deciding "This Canopy is Not For Me"

Sounds like you're looking for soft, on-heading openings and a stable canopy under windier conditions. Maybe a little bit of zip.
As far as the soft/on-heading openings go, there are lots of choices. Cobalts are excellent (personal experience) and I've never heard of safires having a reputation for spinning up.
As far as the wind goes, I wouldn't trade my Jedei for anything (except maybe a Samurai or Vengeance) in the wind. That things is rock solid. 'Course it's a bit of work collecting up on the ground on windy days, but you get used to it. I've heard some people say a Vengeance is a Stilletto with airlocks, but I dunno cuz I haven't jumped a Stilletto.
I still think you can go elliptical safely and get the behaviors you're looking for. Don't hamstring yourself with just PD products (though the Sabre2 and Vengeance are possibilities). Shop around.
I personally think you'd love a Cobalt if you demo'd one.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I think you've listed a series of polar opposites. I don't think a canopy exists that does everything you said.
For example, you want good penetration in winds. To me, that means at least moderately loaded, which also implies at least being partially eliptical.
All elipticals have some degree of wackiness during openings.
Higher wingloadings make you feel the turbulence, a lot more - I think. Not that the turbluence is that much stronger, I just think you feel it more. If you're really concerned about turbulence, then you could jump one of Brian Germaine's canopies... but I found their openings to be squirely.
And you also said you want good glide - which implies you want to make it back from long spots, which means you don't want something that opens slowly like the Cobalt.
I dunno.. I think the Stiletto is pretty good at a lot of things. Maybe the Sabre2 is better at the things that you care about?
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

And you also said you want good glide - which implies you want to make it back from long spots, which means you don't want something that opens slowly like the Cobalt.

How do you tie together a canopy's opening and it's glide? Please expain that statement.
-
Jim

>And you also said you want good glide - which implies you want to make it back
> from long spots, which means you don't want something that opens slowly like
> the Cobalt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>How do you tie together a canopy's opening and it's glide? Please expain that
> statement.
If the spot is long, and your canopy snivels for 1000 feet, that's 1000 feet you don't have to get back.
-bill von

>My landings on high wind days have been a lot more
> challenging than no wind days, and I don't think they should be.
Stilettos tend to be trimmed flatter than other similar canopies - that's where the good glide comes from. That also makes them a bit more susceptible to turbulence, since it doesn't take as much change in wind direction to load the top of the canopy. This is especially true at light loadings. I once jumped a Stiletto 190, and the landing was downright scary.
The stiletto, while a decent canopy, is the last canopy I would recommend if stability in turbulence, on heading openings, and a "feeling of confidence" are high on your list of priorities.
-bill von

Andy... I can tell you never got to jump that Cobalt... The openings are softer then a Spectre, but use less altitude. I've been steady at about 600-700 feet and a SOFT opening ever since I figured out the slider placement.
Paula.. give Heather a call and demo a cobalt, same with a Lotus from Brian. Whats the worst that can happen? You find 2 more canopies you don't like?
"Hey.. Its my camera, and my remote... I'll rewind if I want to!" ~ Goat #2

but my reasoning in moving to a Stilleto was to be able to jump is winds that were a little more brisque (and the glide, which I love)

Rhino, if paula like the glide of the Stiletto, I would not at all recommend either the Tri or the Diablo. Both these canopies have very a steep glide...
Remster
Muff 914

For me... I pull the slider so its about an inch from the nose. If I pull it out in front of the nose, I get a hung slider about 3 feet up the lines and end cells closed on each side. It took me till this weekend to figure that one out....
"Hey.. Its my camera, and my remote... I'll rewind if I want to!" ~ Goat #2

. If you're really concerned about turbulence, then you could jump one of Brian Germaine's canopies... but I found their openings to be squirely.

Just out of curiosity, were you trying to steer the opening?
I know for a fact Jedei's (and thus probably Samurais) like to "hunt" for a heading. You try to steer it and it'll spin up or go into a spiral on opening (and FYI I have also noticed wicked oversteer on riser turns). Just let it do it's thing and it's great.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

...I can tell you never got to jump that Cobalt... The openings are softer then a Spectre....

I have 40 jumps on a demo Cobalt 120 and I didn't have the same luck with the openings. Crappy compared to a Spectre. It would snivel, snivel, snivel, SNAP!! Two other jumpers I know that tried two other different Cobalt demos, both told me that their demos also had the snivel, SNAP syndrome.
I get much better openings on my Xaos. Always slow, always smooth, steerable.
Jason

Way too short of a control range. I like being able to steer from my sholders to mid chest and the stiletto is at the ear level. I like finishing the flare at the hips and the stiletto is at mid chest... Over all is just a twitchy canopy. Way too narrow of a control window to make me happy.

I found the exact same thing on both my Square PD 190 and the Stilletto 170. I also found it very easy to fix. I added about 3 inches to the brakes. In fact There is virtually no line left over after I tied a square knot and then half hitch to lock it. Now, I am finishing my flare on a no wind day as far down as I can reach. This also made it turn many times smoother. Originally, the turns tended to rapidly increase their rate about shoulder height. Now they are nothing but smooth. If you ever fly one again take note of the brake length. Having the brakes long enough can give the canopy a whole new personality.
"It's all about the BOOBIES!"