GrumpySmurf

Out $265 and a owe a ton of beer.

Cutaway Pud: $30
Reserve Pud: $30
Freebag and new poptop: $140
Getting reserve repacked, main inspected and untangled: $65
Finding out how many people are willing to tromp through the woods in muck and through thistle bushes to help you find your main
.... Priceless.
Jump #115...
My Safire (loaded at about 1.3 ~ 1.4) decided it didn't want to land with me yesterday. Lines twisted up in a CW direction with a hard spiral in a CCW direction. Tried to clear it once, that made the spin harder, tried it again, that put me on my back. Glanced at the alti - '3'o'clock' (3K) it said, looked down found the red (cutaway) and the yellow (reserve). Looked red, grabbed red, looked yellow, grabbed yellow, peeled red, paused and thought 'I hope this works', yanked red, yanked yellow. Got this interesing feeling of floating in the air for just over a second (like Wille E. Coyote going off the cliff and hanging there) and a solid 'WHOMP!' - the reserve openned and my handles went flying off. The PD-160R flew great, and had LOTS of flare with next to no wind.
The rigger asked me if I wanted the RSL hooked back up now that I know I can chop and pull, I said, "I have no reason to not have it, so yeah hook it back up.".
So combine all this with my first dock on a formation of more than 1, and I owe ALOT of beer.

I loaned a brand new (never used) pro track to a friend who was sit flying without an audible, she forgot to fasten her chin strap and lost a brand new PT along with an as new mindwarp into the swamp.......
Lessons learnt?......
Kudos to Karen she went straight the pro shop and replaced the PT, but I think I'll take it back, change it for a pro dytter and credit her jump account with the difference....I don't need two PTs after all..but two audibles is good......
Cya
D

Damn man, deja-vu, I did jump 115 today on a Safire 149 (loaded at abou 1.45; 17th jump on the canopy).......Thought the canopy had openend fully, and accidently shifted in the hardness, putting the canopy in three complete line twists, leaving the slider half-way up the lines but all the cells inflated.
I pulled at 4.5K and hadn't cleared the line twists till 3K (although I was willing to ride to down to 2K).
Just kinda odd that bad line twists happend to both of us on our #115th jumps (on Safire's). Wouldn't have been good for me to chop it, as it was the last load of the day at about 8:10pm and the sun had already been set for about 10minutes.....
My jump #56 cost me about $200, lost the freebag and reserve handle, it's a bummer, but better than the alternative...

>>Finding out how many people are willing to tromp through the woods in muck and through thistle bushes to help you find your main<<<
Isn't that the truth. A lot of people helped me look for my main after I cutaway. In fact, my roommate, freefalin14, even landed in an INDIANA CORN FIELD, just so he could land closer to my main so we could all find it.
Glad everything worked out for you!!!!!
-Adam

Ironic indeed. The Safire - the 'Stilletto-Wannabe' ;)
Amen to it being better than the alternative.
When I rush my pull (such as jumping with a long track with a larger group), I tend to end up in line twists, am guessing it's a shoulder-low issue - considering I can't afford to keep replacing reserve stuff, gonna put some effort into correcting it.

Glad everything worked out ok for you...
Still, it could have been worse. Last year, one of our club jumpers had to chop it at 7,000 in high winds. Of course, he didn't think it was necessary to chase the canopy, or even look to see where it went.
By the way, if anyone ever comes across a blue and yellow Fury 200 in the forest somewhere in southern Georgia, let me know.
---
Matt Whitcomb

The rigger asked me if I wanted the RSL hooked back up now that I know I can chop and pull, I said, "I have no reason to not have it, so yeah hook it back up.".

I'm confused, are you implying that you had the RSL disconnected to make see if you really could chop and pull?
I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I am bringing it up because I went thru a similar decision process only I had one installed.
My reasoning and what affected the final decision was that, yes, there is a possibility that I could freeze and screw up meaning NOT chop and pull, BUT I'd rather have the opportunity to look back at it and say, I screwed up and maybe I should not be doing this.
Bottom line (for me) is if it comes down to it and I don't have both handles in my hands when needed, then I am seriously going to be considering if I should be in this sport.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?

My guess is that the rigger asked the question when his reserve was being repacked. At that point the rigger could have, at the direction of the customer, completely removed the RSL.
I got the impression that he used the RSL on the skydive in question.
-
Jim

Yup. That pretty much sums it up. Too bad I didn't keep hold of the reserve pud after deploying it - else it would be interesting to see if I beat RSL (plus they ran out of yellow reserve puds, so I got stuck with a silver one) - probably not, but still curious to see. :)Looking back, it looks like the fact that I left less than a foot of excess line past the last stow on the pack job, (normally, I leave about 18 to 24 inches) may have caused the bag to smack the side of the tray and spin.
Oh well, live and learn.

Looking back, it looks like the fact that I left less than a foot of excess line past the last stow on the pack job, (normally, I leave about 18 to 24 inches) may have caused the bag to smack the side of the tray and spin.

That's what caused my last mal. A split second after the pilot chute inflated I felt a wierd bump on my back and when I looked up a second later the canopy was opening with line-twists already in place underneath the slider. I routinely leave between 18" & 24" now.
Kris