NathanL100

Will it fit??

Is it ok to buy a container that is sized for a main canopy that is smaller than the one that you plan to use in it until you are ready to down size? Example: New container sized for a 120 main, but use a 150 in it. The reason why I ask is because I would like to be able to buy a container that I can down size with so that I can avoid buying a new container every time I want to down size.
Blue Ones,
Nathan
A# 39553

Depends. Best thing to do is check the website of the container manufacturer- a lot of them have something that tell what the best (and possible) fitting canopies are for each container. Generally, I would say you can go down one size canopy for a given container, but I dont know about up. I'm sure theres someone on here that can answer this better than I. Also, you might want to do a search, I've seen this topic in here before (in fact I think I brought it up once, lol). Good luck...
-Marshall

It depends on the container. Some are more tolerable of mis-sized mains then others. Others won't let you do it with out turning your rig into a rig CReW dogs would be proud of. Material hanging out and making the rig worthless for anything other then crew or hop and pops.
A 150 in a 120 rig is probally out of the question unless you have a low pack volume 7 cell main. Then its going to be such a tight fit for closure you will just end up with a fight to close it. Also if you are getting a rig sized for that size main, what reserve are you putting in it? A tiny reserve? Not a cool idea if you've never landed a canopy that small before. Is that how you want to learn how to land a 120 when the smallest you've jumped is a 150? Your low, under a lot of stress, freaked out by the mal you just had, and now are under a canopy you've never jumped before?!?!?
A high pack volume canopy (like a Vengence or X-Braced..... not a prayer.) My Cobalt 150 in a J2 is a tight fit and the J2 is sized for a 150 main. Even when I had a 135 main in it, it was'nt the easisest rig to close. A rig will usually hold one size smaller main then it was fitted for and in some cases more then 1 size. Something like a Vector or Mirage or even a Voodoo is'nt going to let you have a bigger main then they were cut for without making the rig questionable to jump.
Buy the larger container with the larger reserve, and just downsize when you are ready, hopefully a couple of hunderd jumps down the road. When you are ready to go from the 150 to a 135 and then at the 120 you might decide that you want a new reserve or a new design and get it then. Don't try and jam something in a container just to save a buck or two now. A 150 to a 120 is a big step and it should take you a few seasons to reach the experience to jump the 120 unless you only weight 100 lbs.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Something like a Vector or Mirage or even a Voodoo is'nt going to let you have a bigger main then they were cut for without making the rig questionable to jump.

I bought a Mirage sized for a ZP 170 main. I easily fit a Sabre 190 in it. (Ok, not so easy in the winter) I expect to be able to safely put a 170 or a 150 ZP main in it.
"It's like a Tupperware party with dildos and lots of beer."

To answer your question, will 150 fit into a container made for 120, I doubt.
I haven't seen any container that allowed downsizing by two sizes. If you buy a container made for 120/135 canopies, you might be able to fit 150 into it, but it will be a real pain to pack, if it is even possible.
I have container made for 135/150 canopies, and even now sometimes if I'm not careful in the packing, I may not be able to close it.

NathanL100,
Check with the manufacturer of you choice if they have a container that will work best with that combination. As Phreezone mentioned, it really depends of the difference between pack volumes. Mirage Systems does have a couple of container sizes that work better than others for down sizing. It also depends on you reserve combination.
This forum is not the place for me to go into a sales pitch. If you would like more information check out the Mirage web site. www.miragesys.com or email them.

Putting a 150 in a container built for a 120 isn't a good idea. It is possible with some containers to put a canopy one size larger in, but if you're not a really good packer you're just asking for frustration even at that - packing zp is frustrating enough when you're learning, why make things worse for yourself by trying to stuff it into a bag that's too small for it?
You can go one size smaller safely in any container (ie a 135 in a container sized for a 150), and with many containers you can go down two sizes (ie 120 in the same container). I know several people who purposely sized their container for a main one size bigger than the one they jump, just to have an easier pack job. I sized my new container for a 170; I'll be going back down to a 150 in the near future and I'm looking forward to the easier pack job (well... not that I'm ever going to be packing it... but my packers will be happy :)Besides, by the time you're ready for a 120 you'll want a new container anyway... and since 150 sq ft mains are like the most popular size in the world you should have no problem selling your first one when it's time for a new one.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
"Where's my beer?" - Al Stephens

I downsized 2 sized on my container however I had my rigger install "padding" in the bottom of the pack tray. Its a 1/2 inch foam pad covered in cordura. No possible snag hazard and it has worked great for over 200 jumps. I'm not saying I would recommend this but at the time I didnt wanna buy a new container and its worked great.
JC

Javelins seem to be pretty good for using a wide range of canopies. Last year, I purchased an OJ(sized for a 135 main/150 reserve). I originally had a 150 main in it, though it was a bit tight. I now have a 105 main in it and it still looks beautiful. It is very easy to pack, but it doesn't look loose or baggy at all. I have demoed a 95 main in it and it still looked perfect. I know that some rigs don't look very good when you put larger or smaller canopies in than it was desinged for, but the Javelin handles it beautifully. I do think that you would have a hard time squeezing a 150 into a 120 container though. I think you would have better luck buying a container sized for a 135 main.

>Is it ok to buy a container that is sized for a main canopy that is smaller than the
>one that you plan to use in it until you are ready to down size?
Depends. Are you a new jumper packing for yourself? If so, it might not be worth the pain (and there will be pain.) Most containers can handle one size larger and two sizes smaller without being unsafe, but the larger canopy will be very difficult to get into the bag. Add some complicating factors (dry climate, new ZP main, inexperience at packing) and you may be pretty miserable.
If you have an older ZP (or even an F111) and you normally pack in a damp climate you may get away with going one size bigger without too much pain. Also, rigs stretch a little, so older rigs may be easier to get a larger main into.
One warning - do NOT get a reserve that you will "grow into." Get one that will land you safely, now. If the smallest canopy you've ever jumped is a 150, a PD126 for a reserve would be a big mistake, even if it lets you get a cool small rig.
>Example: New container sized for a 120 main, but use a 150 in it.
This would almost certainly be a mistake. A canopy that large in a container can be unsafe, due to inadequate protection of the bridle/pin/lines and overly tight fit of the bag in the container.
-bill von

I don't have the knowlege that many of the people that have answered your post, but my current rig will handle several sizes of canopies. I have a talon 2. It's made to ideally handle a 150 O.P. At present I have a falcon 195 in it. This is F-111 material and it is a little too large for the bag. I use longer rubber bands for the first two locking stows and it all goes together okay. It is tight, but not unreasonable. I plan to downsize to a triathalon 160 soon and I think it should be a lot easier to pack up. My other rig is an older Vector. I can cram a Falcon 235 into it. The falcon 195 fits about right. And I think a OP 170 would be ideal in it. This is what I am jumping with and I am able to downsize somewhat with the same container. I feel safe with this gear and have had a rigger approve my gear. I'd appreciate your input if any of this sounds unairworthy or dangerous. I have to admit it is a lot more work closing a tight container and getting things to fit. Practice packing does help and f-111 fabric is a dream to work with compared to O.P. Thanks, Steve

My Voodoo is a V3, sized for 150 main and reserve.
I have a Tempo 150 reserve which is a smaller packing reserve.
Spectre 170 main 7cell smaller pack volume.
I talked to Sandy about it prior to purchase and he said it should be OK
The first 40 jumps I left the closing loop a little long, then shortened it up.
I found the toughest part of packing was the stiff new riser covers which got
easier with more use.
:)I see no problem downsizing as far as 135
Andrew