Emmie

Wings or a Dolphin?

OK, so after complaining about being broke I discover that I have 2 1/2 grand refund from from my college. Thank God for Sallie Mae.
So I'm getting myself a rig. I've already decided on a main & reserve (hornet 170 & tempo170). Now I just need to decide on a container. I can't afford anything like a Voodoo, or an Odyssey, so I'm thinking either Wings or a Dolphin.
What are your thoughts. I would really appreciate any advice. I've been told good things about both containers. Are there any advantages to a dolphin over wings (besides the price?). Has anyone jumped both containers. So far the advice I've got been split 50/50, and I'm still not sure of which one to get.
Any thoughts?

Besides reading everything you can find on both rigs, try a sampling on of each type you're considering for comfort and fit- I use an older Dolphin, one retro-fitted from the orifginal snap design, and have done RW and attempted sit-flying with no problems; haven't tried a Wings yet, but I like their look a lot- can you try one on to make a test jump?
Brokeneagle.
I'm really very gentle, no matter what my kung-fu teacher says...

Hi Emmie, have you considered buying second hand for your first (BEER!!) rig? From your other posts I gather that apart from this windfall you do not have unlimited funds (being a student and all). Why don't you buy a suitable second-hand rig and then use the money you save towards finishing your AFF and buying jump tickets? (BTW I have a Wings and like it, some of my friends have Dolphins and like theirs)
Will

i have jumped a Dolphin the past 85 jumps.. and JUST bought my wings last week. Actually.. i bought a used container with used main & reserve & Cypress and i ordered the new wings container for it.
I had NO problems with the dolphin and it is a great price, however ..I have not seen a dolphin without velcro.. not all that safe for any free flying you might wanna do.
I am selling mine as soon as my new wings container gets here. If your interested, let me know, I'll send you a pic.. I am selling it cheap.. Its fairly new.. looks good. it is all black with a teal dolphin fabric painted on the back with yellow and teal on the panel. it can be changed back to all black or colors of your choice pretty easy.
Again, I'm replacing it cause i want to start doing some freeflying and my colors are red and yellow.. so i bought the red and yellow tye dye wings container..
Good luck!!
Peace, Love & Skydiving...
Tina

I've owned and jumped both the Dolphin and Wings. The Dolphin is a good container, but nothing fancy. It's designed to appeal to the lower end user (in terms of cost). The Wings is designed a little better and has lots more options in terms of colors and options (stainless, rings, etc.). And I really like the reserve set-up on the Wings (the bag is different). Basically, I think the Dolphin is a stripped down Javelin and the Wings is in a different category. Again, both are good, and both are comfortable if properly sized. But if I had a choice, all else being equal and money being no object, I'd go with the Wings.
CorporateLawyerDave aka BadDog

Ive had my Dolphin for about 2 years. Ive never had a problem with it and it is plenty comfortable. I do both freeflailing and RW. True, its nothing fancy, but its also a fraction the cost of the Wings and other rigs.
If this is a first rig that you may not be keeping for an extended period of time, I would lean toward the Dolphin. Youll have more money for jumps and experience and other toys. If its a second rig that youre downsizing to and youre pretty sure youll keep it for a while (and spending the larger amount of money isnt gonna haunt you) get the Wings (I mean, hey, cool points have to figure in there somewhere).
I looked at the Wings before I ordered my Mirage (which isnt here yet Dammit!) and it seems to be a pretty nice rig.
(See, I followed my own advice....)
Blues!
CJ

Save your money for jump tickets. Currency will keep you alive much longer than fancy gear.
Buy a new Dolphin or a decent used rig.
They are about equal in price.
As for the people who grumble about the Dolphin having too much Velcro for freeflying, they are grumbling because they are too lazy to ask their rigger to sew on new Velcro every 200 jumps. Velcro works fine as long as you keep up on the maintenance.

Look at the Infinity too. Same price as a Wings, better delivery time, super comfortable and bombproof construction, flap security and riser protection. Another nice container in the same price range is the Talon 2.
If you're ordering custom you should end up with a better fitting harness with any rig other than a Dolphin. Dolphin's are built in set harness sizes (i.e. every small has the same size MLW, laterals, leg straps etc; same with the medium, large and xl). Everybody else's harnesses are custom built to your measurements. If your body shape and size is average then a Dolphin will likely fit you well, but if you have a larger or smaller chest than average, or you're thicker or thinner through the middle than average, or if your thighs are bigger or smaller than average, imho you're better off going with a harness where each piece is sized to YOUR measurements, not the average person's.
Referencing Rob's comment about the velcro - if you're keeping the rig for 400 jumps, that's at least two times you'll have to pay to have the velcro replaced. Check with your local riggers on the price and time required to do that before you make your decision.
Another thing to consider is resale value. You'd be really lucky to get $300 for a Dolphin with 400 jumps on it in today's market, and nobody knows what the resale market for them will be in a couple years. More and more jumpers are insisting on velcro-free gear - I have a hard time selling used Vector II's and Dolphins because of the velcro; they just sit on the shelf until a really broke person that size comes along.
If it weren't for the velcro and set harness sizing I wouldn't have a problem with a Dolphin if you like black. If you want any color other than black though...
pull and flare,
lisa

Rob, since you didn't suggest the Genera from Rigging Innovations as a cost effective alternative, I will. They are not flashy and you may not see many around, but they are a great rig at a great price. Great _value_ for your dollar. What is the downside to a Genera? They are not flashy and you may not see many around, so they don't have as good a resale potential as some other rigs.
alan

Look around for used canopies. I got a used Hornet w/ 40 jumps from SkyKat for $675 & a cypress (expert w/ '97 DOM) for 400 from an online classified. I know I keep bringing these guys up in most of my posts, but try giving Rigs & Things & speak w/ Roy. They have the Wings container on sale in Dec for $840 (or $931 w/ articulated harness)...He might extend you the same price this week since it's so close. I just put my order in yesterday to beat the dead line. Check the GEAR section on this site..99% of the things written on the wings is positive. The only negative is about the res. pc not firing as far out as other containers, but they fixed the problem. Besides, it's still TSO'ed and meet/exceeds all the standards put on the industry as a whole. Just my 2 cents...oh, the wait is around 4-5 wks now vs. Javelin's 8-12 wks. And for Lisa's sake....check out squareone.com for their monthly specials.
**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

Marianna, what did you end up getting? Any other options? I ordered mine w/ the quilt backpad & the collapsable pc w/ hacky. I ordered in Navy blue & burgendy. Roy told me I had to the end of the week to change my colors (might go w/ Royal blue & Red).
**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

Hey guys - I bought my Wings from Roy in July and was very happy with the service I received. I have since made about 100 jumps with my Wings and am still very happy with it. I got to jump with Roy and his brother Terry when I collected my rig, they are really good people (as is the rigger Alex). BTW I took the backpad option and highly recommend it. Please tell Roy I say 'Hi' (South African Will who collected his Wings/Hornet/Tempo there in July 2001).
I'm sure you'll be extremely pleased with both your choice of dealer and container!
Will

I got the articulated harness, RSL (knowing my luck I'll most likely need it) and still can't decide wheather I want the hackey sack or the PUD? (is that what it's called)?
Anyhow, I am pretty sure on the colors, black container, with navy blue and medium blue stripes. Who would have thought that picking colors would be so damn difficult, I spent days thinking the design out.
Got to call Roy back tomorrow and tell him what exactly it is that I want as options.
How long do you think we have to wait?
Oh , last question, what't the difference between Thread through and B-12 hardware? Which one did you end up getting?
Happy New Year!

what't the difference between Thread through and B-12 hardware?

You want thread through. B-12's are the snaps that you usually see on student rigs - big and bulky. Thread through (or "step in") is cleaner looking and (imho of course :)pull and flare,
lisa

Thanks Lisa

Also thanks for refunding me for the Nvertigo. The fucking thing almost crushed my head. I swear, my forehead was turning purple, and I was loosing feeling in one of my ears, took extra person to get it off. I love the Bonehead though, can't wait to jump with it : )

Don't feel bad. I was asking everyone and their brother about color choices! Finally Canopycuddler came to the rescue! As for the PUD, I like it...but it's a personal choice. I also got the thread through leg straps. I'll get the snaps when I'm too old to lift my leg. Roy is doing the same thing for me; he's holding on to my order until I'm sure w/ my color selection! I'm pathetic.
**I'm a Pschydiver!
Majdi

Roy at Rigs and Things is a great guy to do business with.
Bought my and my gf's first rigs from him as well as a buncha other stuff. He's always been good to work with and Ive gotten some good deals from him.
Recently ordered my new Mirage from him as well and anxiously awaiting delivery.
(No disrespect meant to all the other great dealers out there!)
Blues!
CJ

If you're ordering custom you should end up with a better fitting harness with any rig other than a Dolphin. Dolphin's are built in set harness sizes (i.e. every small has the same size MLW, laterals, leg straps etc; same with the medium, large and xl

Lisa, I'm surprised that you would think this given that you work for a gear store. They can and will make custom harnesses for your Dolphin if you just send them measurements. That is what I did, since I had to wait on my custom main anyway.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

"They can and will make custom harnesses for your Dolphin"
Yep...I exchanged emails with Altico a few months back and it sounds like they will do just about any mod you want. You don't have to get a Dolphin with velcro if you don't want it that way. They will put in tuck tabs....bridal covers...etc. etc. They just don't come stock this way to keep the price lower than anyone elses.....Of course.....I didn't ask about changing the colors.......LOL. I like black though....:)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay