AggieDave

Rig Choices

To clarify an earlier post by Mountainman.
Javelins were originally designed by Mike Furry and Henry P.
Henry was the concept man and Mike "productionised" the original Javelin.
Mike eventually bought out Henry and operated the Javelin factory on his own.
Circa 1992, Mike Furry sold the Javelin factory to Derek Thomas. Thomas has only made minor improvements to the design since he took over. On the other hand, Thomas is a brilliant marketer and he is the primary reason Jevelins are selling so well these days.
After his two year non-competition clause expired. Mike Furry returned to his original concept of building the simplest, least expensive rig on the market. He designed, TSO'd and started selling Dolphin containers. The Dolphin is just a Javelin simplified for ease of production and lower retail cost. For the longest time, Dolphins were only available in black.
A couple of years ago, Henry P. returned to the market with his WIngs container. Wings are another Javelin clone that competes for the high end of the market. Overall Wings are slightly better than Javelins and the workmanship is first rate, so I expect them to last as long as any other rig.
Who started that silly rumor?
Meanwhile, French, South African and Canadian companies are all building their own Javelin clones. They all work, and only have minor variations in options and quality.

Not to cast a shadow of doubt on this Wings-love-a-thon, but every time a Wings container is mentioned to my rigger he laughs. Why? He repacks one for a friend, and when he pops it, the pilot chute basically falls to the floor. The spring they use is very small, and doesn't have much energy when compressed. Personally, I like to see my pilot chute flying accross the loft when I go in for a repack.
That being said, I would also like to say that Dolphin might not be a bad choice. I know that some riggers have aproblem with their use of a plastic disk for the reserve backing, but I've heard that they are changing over to aluminum. I've put over 700 jumps on a Dolphin, and it is holding up wonderfully. I am also a large framed person (6'2" with fairly broad shoulders) and my Dolphin feels like it was custom made. With the new freefly mods I think the Dolphin offers everything that any other rig on the market offers, at 2/3 the price.
In the interest of full disclosure, though, I am waiting on my new Javelin to arrive any day now. I guess I got tired of black, and needed a smaller container anyway.
- Dan G

I don't know, when I helped repacked a Wings about a month ago the spring was plenty strong. The spring is just as strong as a Javelin or Dolphins spring. The one thing that I'm not sure if I like on the Wings is thier use of ZP material for 3/4 the reserve pilot chute. The only part that is mesh is the last 4-5 inches near the base. They claim that it will catch more air if deployed in less then optimial position with the new design. I've seen the same Wings system work just fine now twice. Once from the ground and once from the air above the person. The system works.
One reason it might fall to the floor shorter then a Javelin's pop-top is because with the wings, you can change the colored material on the pop-top by snapping 2 buttons off and slipping the new cover on. This adds more weight to the poptop. This added weight would make the system fall sooner then the lighter tops of a Dolphin or Javelin.
A Mirage is the system with the furthest launch I've ever seen before. It pulled the freebag's top out of the container when it was pulled.
I'm not sure what to put here right now.....

Let's return to the original question about what type of rig we recommend for a guy with a big frame and a small budget.
Try a Sidewinder. They are built by a tall guy named Al MacDonald, are inexpensive and last like iron! Sidewinders are Vector clones built in Canada, under an FAA TSO quality control system.
We have 14 Student Sidewinders here at Pitt Meadows. After 4 years of service, the only repairs I have done are replace a couple of tired Spandex BOCs.
For a new, custom-coloured Sidewinder, you will pay about 2/3 the price of a similar American-made rig.

Vector 3s come in many sizes to fit your reserve and main needs.
American Skydiving discount systems price on one is about ~$1050.
They along with the mirage are the most secure rigs on the market. (this is my opinion from doing riggin work and BTW every rigger I know jumps a vector).
I have the hard cutaway housings in my risers and it still packs up very secure with thoses great riser covers. my main flap is very tight, there is no way it is coming open.
there is absolutely nothing inside the main packing tray for a line to snag on.
PM me if you want to know a bunch of bad stuff about some rigs I have seen.
ramon

For a new, custom-coloured Sidewinder, you will pay about 2/3 the price of a similar American-made rig.

I jump a Talon and probably will continue to do so for my next rig too, but I have 2 friends that jump Sidewinders and absolutely love them. And Al's newest design is completely freefly friendly. Great time to buy one too with the American $$ kicking Canada's $$'s Ass!!! :D Here's their website
Tee

This fellow has his gear for sale right here:
Posted By: Wesley Womack (what42) All user's Ads
Athens , Georgia, United States PH: (706) 546-0752
For Sale: Mirage G3 for big guy with 230 Silhouette and Raven-M reserve
Beautiful Red and Black Mirage G3 size M7 to hold a ZP 210 or 230 and a Raven Reserve 249 sq. ft. Made to fit a 6'2" 220lbs guy, could go taller (up to 6'4") or shorter (down to 6')give or take on the weight. DOM was May 4, 2000 and the rig has 200 jumps on it. Articulated harness, Cypres ready, RSL(can be disconnected when you get it). All in excellent condition.
Silhouette 230 is the main canopy in here. The Silhouette is a 9 cell half zp half f-111 canopy made by PD. It packs as easily as an F-111 canopy but flys like a new ZP. The canopy has 130 jumps on it and is Blue with some pink.
Raven-m 249 reserve is included, all baby blue. Never deployed and 5 pack jobs. DOM May of 2000.
This rig is an excellent starter rig for a big guy who needs large canopies. It has always treated me right.
$2,500 for the the rig, main, and reserve. This is great for a bigger new jumper. (It was my first rig)
Please email me and I will send you a picture of the rig. I don't have a picture of the canopy though.
I also have a brand new, never been used, Bonehead Mindwarp size XL helmet for sale.

I have to weigh in for Infinity too.
My choice.Great price, great people builiding them, the reserve pilot chute is almost strong enough to hit the ceiling if you deploy laying on the floor, and the rig just dosn't do anything wrong, at any attitude you may find youself in at freefall. Super comfy under canopy too.
I jump where they are built, so many people here use them. So, beyond being a bit bias, I can verify everything I said above is true. Besides, if something where to go wrong with mine, or yours, I can walk upstairs and have Kelly or Mikey fix it. They are cool.

Another vote for Infinity here.
I got my rig a few months ago, and have been very pleased with it. I don't pack for myself much, and I have had many of the packers tell me that they liked the container, and the DZO was looking at it the other day and told me it was a nice rig also.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.