Craig

Triathlon

I would like to some comments on the Triathlon. I purchased one but have not had a chance to take it up and make any jumps on it. I have heard the usual stuff about them, such as it's "sinking-in" ability, great openings, and a little surf if you want. What kind of openings do you get with different packing methods? Snively? Brisk? On heading? Does it seem to have any bad habits, so to speak? Just the usual stuff.
As a side note, it is a 160 and will be loaded between 1:1 and 1.1:1
Thanks,
Craig

My dad jumps a Triathlon 175, loaded at about what you're loading yours. He has a great time with it. It's got nice openings, and good response. He usually has it packed in a standard PRO pack.
The only 2 things that "drawbacks": it did bang open and cause a weeks worth of soreness once, but that could have easily been a line dump or not-all-the-way-down slider. And, the thing I didn't like was the low glide at that loading. Jumping on windier days causes you to pretty much come straight at the ground.
Overall it's a good canopy, and the material is cool cuz it isn't as slippery. You'll like it!
Trent

Craig
I put 10 jumps on rented Triathalons a couple of months ago. The wing loading ranged from .9 to 1.3. At all loadings I found the canopy fairly docile and very easy to land. I caught myself not completely flaring on landings because it feld like I didn't need to. My previous jumps were on a Safire which I enjoyed more due to the quicker turns. However, the Triathalon was definitely the easier canopy to land.

I have a Trithlon with the same loading (1.1) and I love it. I've put about 200 jumps on it and it has never really whacked me on opening- if anything, it tends to snivel. I pro pack it, tuck the nose in slightly, and roll the tail a little. I used to fly a Sabre and I definitely don't roll the Tri's tail as tight. Also, I haven't had any problems with off heading openings. It's a really good all around canopy.

My wife just got a Tri 160 as well, and will be loading it about the same. She too hasn't had a chance to jump it yet.... MY question is, what's the best way to pack this canopy? We're looking for consistent on heading openings with not a lot of snivel, but don't slam you either. I was taught a basic pro-pack (for my sabre w/about 500 jumps), but I also roll the first 4 cells of the nose & tuck them into the center cell, then roll the last 4 cells & tuck them as well... then roll the tail! So far, I've gotten great openings on my canopy, but I'm concerned that this might be a little much for her Tri (almost brand new). Any suggestions would be great! :)Thanks!
Merrick
"Pull High.... It's lower than you think!"

Merrick,
When I jumped a triathalon the opens took so much longer than a Safire that I was concerned the first couple of times. I actually talked to the packer (it was rented gear) about it and she pro-packed it and rolled the nose tight. In my limited experience triathalon's open pretty soft and smooth.

"In my limited experience triathalon's open pretty soft and smooth."

Yeah, I've heard that from several people... my concern is that I think rolling the nose the way I do on my Sabre might produce some pretty looong snivels. I'm thinking a 1,200 - 1,500 ft snivel would probably 'soil' Pam's Jumpsuit! LOL ;)
Peace & Warm Skies!
Merrick
"Pull High.... It's lower than you think!"

Thanks for the help guys. Hadn't actually thought of that...how well they are supposed to open and that if I packed it like Merrick's Sabre, it might snivel longer then I want. I'll be watching to see how yours goes also Flyboy. Getting to jump it this weekend?
Pammi

I have about 200 jumps at 1.3. I like 1.3 because you can surf it a little with a hard turn onto final (parctice straight in landins first..see S&TA) or you can sink it in a back yard in brakes and PLF.
a psycho pack can make them snivel a long time. I propacked mine with open nose and slider pulled out the front of the main to speed openins up a little.
Plus they're cool if you suddenly want to do some crew.
bloo skies
ramon

I highly recommend getting the packing video from AR. A friend of mine was getting consistently whacked by her brand new 160; she watched the video and starting packing it the way they show and has had soft openings since.
pull and flare,
lisa

Craig,
I have a 150 and I love it! I have put 35 jumps on it and it always opens smooth as butter (except one time - but I was still in a track - ouch!) I have never even had slight line twists on it! I don't roll the nose at all - just push it in slightly. I do roll the tail several times, but mostly just to keep it all tight and neat when I lay it down. It is a great canopy and I get nice response from riser inputs too! Have fun! Cheers!
Elisa

Hey Pammi,
I got to jump my new rig today. I love my Triathalon. It flys great and opens so soft. No opening shock at all, just pull and it starts inflating it sniveled a little bit longer than a sabre but opens so soft. My landings on it were great but a little bit past the peas because it glides more efficiently than the chute I have been jumping. If your Triathalon is anything like mine you will love it too.
Blue Skies,
Adam

Hi there,
I'm using a Tri 175 Hybrid as a casual CReW canopy. It takes a smoooooth 3 seconds to open no matter what I do with it!!! At the moment I'm "Wolmari" packing it with the nose out, the tail not rolled (actually spread at the base) and the slider pulled back from the nose!!! Short of collapsing the slider when packing I can't see how I can get it open faster!
It did bang open once, but that was put down to the slider not being all the way up.
Controlability: It does exactly what yopu tell it to. at 1.25:1 you still have the choice if hurtling in on full drive & front riser and surfing it feeling your way through the flare OR coming in steep on half brakes and "jerking" the flare for a pinpoint landing.
It may not be the best canopy in any particular field, but it IS Sooooooo versatile.
Mike D10270.

Im thinking of buying a triathlon. I weigh in at 150 lbs and im thinking of getting the 160. I have about 30 jumps under my belt. Im just wondering about the fun factor of the canopies. What is the glide angle like on the thing?? Can you guys let me know What i can expect from the canopy??? Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone, I can't wait to get back up in the air!
RobertS:
I am new to the Tri also, so can't offer much help. Have you check the gear riviews at DZ.com yet, they are HERE. Aerodyne, who makes the canopy also has some info on their page and some wing loading charts you can download as well to get a general idea Aerodyne. Ask some instructors since they know your abilities under canopy. To get any real idea of wingloading you need to know your exit weight with your gear on (not sure if this was 150lbs?)
Good luck,
Craig

I don't have many jumps on my canopy but can give a little info on it. I weight about 170 and jump a Tri 160 it flys nice and is pretty responsive to toggle inputs. It didn't turn quite as tight as a Sabre 170 I tried, but quick enough. My openings were pretty slow and soft, but not to slow. The glide was pretty good and on the first two jumps on the canopy I overshot the peas a little. My landings were nice and soft with good flare. I like it better than the Sabre I tried and am very happy with my purchase. It is what I wanted out of a canopy. I encourage you to try a few different canopies before buying and find out what you want the canopy to do.
Blue Skies,
Adam
Edited by flyboy62000 on 3/4/01 02:37 PM.

That's about where I'm at Robert. I bought a Triathlon 160 and I weigh about 145 (without gear on of course). I haven't jumped it yet, but from everything I heard it is a good size for me. Aerodyne even says you can go up to around a 200 pound exiting weight with them, although I couldn't possibly say anything towards that since I'm pretty new at this also. The only flack I've gotten at all is how it's just not as 'high performance as the Sabre', which I let go in one ear and out the other since that's almost entirely what's jumped at my DZ so it's just their preference in my opinion. I'm confident it'll be perfect for my first jump canopy, and maybe even for later ones!
Just read around, decide what you're looking for and talk to your JM/DZO who know how you fly/land and they will help you out.
Blues
Pam
BTW...Thanks Flyboy for the input! You also Mike! Glad to see other 'pro-Triathlon' people out there. I can't wait to try mine! Maybe this weekend, but if not, for sure the next!
Edited by pammi on 3/5/01 11:54 AM.

The only way to know for sure is to experiment with different tweaks ya know. Merrick, your's opens nice with those tweaks cause I made many a jumps on it and seemed to be able to fine tune it that way. You'll have to do the same with the tri.
"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

RobertS wrote:
I'm 150 with gear off. Its about an extra 20 lbs with gear on, right?? Im going to play around and see what i
like the most. Im also considering a sabre 170. ARGGGGG. so many choices.. :)

Yes, I would figure about 20 to 25 pounds with all gear. I know what you mean about the choices. I think I changed my mind more times than I can count on both hands, over about a months time before I finally decided on what to get. Much better than getting something and changing your mind AFTER you have already purchased it.
Craig

Hey Pammi, if you don't mind me asking what size is your Dolphin? Have you tried to pack your Tri in it? I am just curious cause I have a D2 container and the Tri 160 is new with no jumps and I am having a helluva time with it. I can get it in the bag *fairly* well but it still looks big for the container. I am just learning the Pro Pack so that probibally is not helping much either. I can't put it in the container and close it up cause the reserve is out of it's container and hadn't had a chance to get with the rigger yet. I was just curious what your expierence has been.
Thanks a bunch,
Craig

Hi Craig :) I hate to tell you this, but I have a D3 and I had to fight it in the bag also. HOWEVER, I don't think it's really any more of a struggle then people normally have, just the fact that I haven't packed that much. But ya know, it gets in there pretty snug, so I can imagine what a b**** it is getting it into YOUR bag! Mine only has about 70 jumps on her, so she is fairly new also. She likes to 'breathe', even in the bag! When I put it in the container, I practically dance on the thing to get it as flat as I can :)Maybe this helps a bit? I'm still learning too and have to bite my tongue to keep from cussing her sometimes!
Pammi