cyberskydive

Safety day!

Well, here in the U.S, safety day is usually held in March, (March 10 this year). Since alot of the U.S doesnt get to jump during our winter months, and skydiving definately slows some here in the south, its a great time to refresh your mind about safety related issues, get your gear squared away, practice emergency procedures and to generaly prepare yourself for the coming skydiving season.
Even if the weather is not the same in other countries, it's still a good time to come together at the DZ and cover safety related issues and the like!
coming soon......

well, due to my horrible traffic record on March 10th I will be going to 'driver retraining' just what I want to do, spend 4 hours on my sat mornin learnin techniques that would make me a more defensive driver. but I guess its suiting to the day. Don't worrry I'll sneak the Parachutist Handbook in with me. by the way this is the third time I've had to take this course. when will I learn. when boy.

Along those lines, I went to the USPA site and downloaded their little checklists, but when I printed them, the stuff in the boxes (the actual lists) didn't come out...anyone else try this? I just thought it'd be handy to have until I get in the habit and know exactly what I should be looking for. I was taught a gear check for the first time just a couple of weeks ago...still makes me nervous checking someone over though! Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that the guy who taught me, Merrick and another regular skydiver did a 'test' on us. He messed with his rig that he had on then had us check him. We all 'killed' him! We all missed the leg straps being mis-routed which would've likely dropped him clean out of the harness. A very scary thought!!! Especially considering one of the people has approximately 100 jumps!
Check, check and check again guys!!
Pammi
http://skydivechick.tripod.com

"Along those lines, I went to the USPA site and downloaded their little checklists, but when I printed them, the
stuff in the boxes (the actual lists) didn't come out...anyone else try this?"
Yeah, I tried it too a few weeks ago. I think it is because you need a different (the latest) version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I went to try and get this version of Acrobat, but it costs like $250.00 (or something like that, there is a link at USPA's site to go get the new version). I tried real hard with the version I have now but only got the first page or two. I dont want to waste money on Acrobat, so I had to "blow it off". Oh well.
"I just thought it'd be handy to have
until I get in the habit and know exactly what I should be looking for."
Great Idea, thats what I wanted to do with it, I was also going to post a copy at the DZ as well as pass out copies to my friends at our weekly "Safety Meeting".

I tried to book my flight to n.y. aroud saf-t day so i could get to a dz and hang out for it. but my flight will take up most of the day. i'll hafta catch up on the hot topics.
but let's keep safety in every day. I'm sure we all would like to think we dont need reminding but it cant hurt to review it .

sis---
FREE?!! what an awesome thing to do. where do you call home? i know your out in the midwest aren't you?
how cool is that for your dzo to do.
anyway, i do believe that safety should sart or stop with your dropzone. you(most skydivers) got alot of driving to do just to get there etcetc. and i personnally think there is more danger in day-to-day life then there is at the dz. so keep it in mind so you can continue skydiving...take it from me, the one who broke his collar bone playing ultimate frisbee....1st I'm embarrassed about it.:$ then I'm depressed about it.:( either way you look at it , it's pretty weak
stay healthy and for god's sake, jump
jt

Pammi & Greg,
It sounds like the new acrobat you were looking at was for the whole package. Acrobat Reader is free and you can get it from here
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html
The checklists printed fine for me. if you need more help, drop me an e-mail and I'd be glad to help
Gary