Skydive2

The new Strong tandem system

Looks like a Quasar container to me. And did you think to call Strong and ask them what an H drouge is....?

Personally I kind of like it from the looks of things, would like to see one in person before I make up my mind. Two things I do like 1. secondary main handle option to locate on the left bottom, like a vector or sigma, keeps things simple for those who use both SE or UPT systems. 2. Last season after getting my rigs back from SE, I had an asshole running his mouth around about my rigs and how they had an illegal mod on them, because the primary main handle was perm mounted to the instructors hip. (like a UPT) Well low an behold....... Where do you think the main handle is on the new system..........should you wish it to be

1. no fumbling around in a 182 trying to find the damn clip on PAX HC. (one less thing to fuck around with during hook up)

2, better for TDM progression teaching to reach for a boc and not the belly band area.

3. no floating handles due to plastic clips breaking.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Working on the web page. Seems the person who did the initial codeing made it difficult for this old guy to hack it. As for the tandem rig.. there is only so much you can do with a couple of parachutes and some flaps. Sprinkle in a couple of UPT patents and the FAA TSO and you get a challange beyond comprehension. Working it to make the new rig user friendly, durable AND cost efective. Takes time. I welcome any and all suggestions;)

MJ

Looks like a Quasar container to me.

Ok you got me...looks like a Quasar crossed with a Vector II tdm. lol, Like a good friend with over 15,000 jumps said about strong along time ago.......1980's technology with 1990's mods...LOL, seems to be holding true

That maybe true. Being one of a few people in recent times to use 1960's gear of all shapes and sizes.... older don't always mean bad idea, there is something to be said to K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid!

The only thing I've heard anyone say so far was they thought the side flaps covered to much of the reserve side flaps, so that if you had a total on the main there was a lot of extra fabric over the lower corners of reserve pack tray and they were concerned about it holding the reserve or delaying deployment.

I doubt it, I'm sure Marty has had some stunt monkeys with video doing the test jumps.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You know,,,if your were to give all our rigs to design people from other industries,,,,i bet they would say they all look the same,,,as someone else said " there is only so much you can do with flaps" and nothing is more true....really, think about, look about it. There is alot of jerking off and bragging about nothing.....
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

The "H" style drogue .. refers to the straps that the drogue riser ( short 3-Ring riser) is anchored to.

The old Dual Hawk just wraps an L-Bar connector link around both diagonal back straps where they cross, in the middle of the back pad.
The old system is simple and works well and I wonder why they changed it. the only problem - I have seen with the old X back straps - was one frayed by a rough edge on an L-Bar connector link.

I wish they would put something on their site about it. Probably not gonna sell many with no way if finding out info about it

...................................................................................

Guessing from what I saw at PIA 2011, Strong is at least a year away from putting the new system in to production.
Mr. Jones shared video of early "Air Anchor" test drops. It worked, but was crude. That intentional cutaway revealed a minor flaw in the geometry. That flaw will be easy to fix (30 minutes on a sewing machine) but Ted Strong will insist on a bunch of - successful - test drops before the "Air Anchor" gets anywhere the production floor.

Ergo, there is not much point to advertising a system that is many months away form production.

Probably not gonna sell many with no way if finding out info about it

Between needing to be rated to jump the thing by the factory, the significant cost factor, and that 99% of tandem rigs are 'business' tools, I would venture that very few tandem rigs of any brand are sold based on the website. I would venture that there would be a fair bit of one-on-one personal contact between a potential customer and mfg. sales rep before an order is placed.

Sure, repeat customers may send in an order on their own, but customers looking to buy a 'new' rig, or swtich brands are probably willing to go a little further than browsing a web site.

I've known Ted for a lot of years and I've never known him to rush anything to market without being sure of it's functioning first.
Many here probably don't remember the early years of square parachutes when the consumer did a lot of the test jumping of products and got a free phone call back to the factory on Monday mornings to report in. For some of these things 2 reserves were standard operating procedure because malfunction rates were 25% or higher.
That way of doing business is no longer acceptable in today's market and liability climate.
As far as looks a tandem rig is a tool and to me functionality is my first concern. As was pointed out there are only so many ways to orient 8 flaps and make them pretty.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

The drogue is still anchored in the middle of the back pad, between the main and reserve containers ... the same as all the older Strong Dual Hawks.

No, the main pin cover does not open until one of the drogue release cables is pulled and the 3-Ring opens.