Spike

Would you do a TM qualification jump?

Yup, I've done around 20 jumps that way since I've become a rated TI. I know at the very least I can reach every handle on the rig (w/o using chicken handles) so worst case I can dump the reserve or even if I have to, toss the drogue, etc. Not to mention I know if the harness is on correctly or not, and if the hooks/snaps are connected and if the laterals are tightened down enough.

However, many things can go wrong with a TI in training, so if he/she wraps us up in the drogue bridle...[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I've done one tandem with a new TM. Here at least you need 6 jumps with licensed jumpers before you can take a "real" tandem passenger.

Also did some jumps with TM's who either were test jumping a new canopy or lineset change or were not current enough for "real" tandem passengers (after the winter).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes, why not.
Did some while I was in training for TM myself (The examiner told me I 'm the perfect passenger size)

Of course only if I trust the TM that needs qualification. (I do not jump with videomen I do not trust either)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

Others did it for me when I was in training; I owe it to others who need it while they're in training.

DittoB| I had to take Aggiedave when i went back for a re-currency once.:o:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I've been on the front once, and that was to get my rating.

I really disliked it. Having no responbility for safety other than body position was not a fun thing, for me.

If a person I trusted was getting their rating, and needed a big passenger and nobody else was around, I'd do it.

Here's my story and why I posted the question.

Very, very newly rated. During TI training I and my instructor experienced a mal. We're both still alive and I have the rating so I guess I did the right thing.

I also experienced a side spin. Partly down to the passengers body position, but also to my poor presentation and a feeble attempt to outfly my passenger. Luckily I was drogue side up and recognised instantly the nature of the problem and a few seconds later that I was not going to be able to fly us out of the spin.

Quite frankly I found the sidespin the most frightening experience of my skydiving career. However I took a deep breath, saddled up and got back on with the job.

It didn't kill me and I won't make that mistake again (I hope).

But it did make me realise that as a newly qualified TM I was severely low on experience. This got me to thinking about the level of risk and people's awareness of risk. I too as an A+ licenced jumper have done several qualification jumps to help out newbie TM candidates get thier rating. However its only now that I've done the TM course that I realise the additional complexities and risks of a TM jump. Add to that the low experience level and your into a whole new danger zone.

I'm not just talking about the freefall dangers either. Those canopies just don't fly like the sport rig that you (as a sport jumper) have spent hundreds of jumps getting used to. And the landing approach techniques, straight in/stall surge/turn to stand up, slide in or running/nose plant are again quite different to sport rig landing techniques.

However as Aggie, said, as a rated TM, I now have the confidence to know I could at least help in most situations.

If you don't have a TM rating and your on a qualification jump with a student TM. Don't fu€k around, arch hard and do what your told. Your TM pilot is probably nervous enough as it is and no-ones joking when they say a TM's work rate is high enough as it is.

Gosh that sounds overly negative, just understand, whether your TM rated or not, a Tandem is not just another jump!

I voted TM rated yes.:)

If you don't have a TM rating and your on a qualification jump with a student TM. Don't fu€k around, arch hard and do what your told. Your TM pilot is probably nervous enough as it is and no-ones joking when they say a TM's work rate is high enough as it is.

Gosh that sounds overly negative, just understand, whether your TM rated or not, a Tandem is not just another jump!

I voted TM rated yes.:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good point.

Jumping on the front of a newly-rated TI does not give you a license to release your inner a&&hole.
At worst, that attitude can kill you both.
Reminds me of a refresher dive I did years ago. After a couple of years away from tandems, I did a refresher dive with a senior TI strapped to my chest. He thoroughly enjoyed sticking his legs in a variety of weird positions and doing everything he possibly could to destabilize us. I stopped all of his spins and pulled all the right handles at the right altitudes and lost respect for him.
Far too few skydiving instructors understand the difference between military screening methods and civilian teaching methods.

Tandem rated and voted yes.

Although, since I'm a weekend warrior in the UK I'm unlikely to be asked to. In the UK, Tandem courses are held during the week, over four days (plus one for weather). Even with the UK's abysmal weather it is usually possible to do the minimum of 9 (maximum of 12) jumps for the course in that time. If a candidate is unable to complete the jumps due to weather, they are evaluated at their home dropzone by an local examiner if one is present or by video if not. I can't remember the last time I saw this happen at my dropzone and I jump at one of the busiest dropzones in the UK.

Due to lack of enthusiasm and the mid-week course it is normally quite difficult to find someone to go on the front. The most prepared candidates from the more communal dropzones turn up with a team (a packer, a cameraman and a 'student') to make the most of the weather and speed through the course. Without available people we normally have to rely on the other candidates on the course. That is what happend to me. Woof went on the front of me for my first live jump and I returned the favour on the next jump. This can slow down the course quite considerably so it is very much appreciated when others help out. I'm still very grateful to Robin for helping out on mine.

So, yes I would. I needed other people to do it for me so I would do it for others. Just another way of giving back to the sport.

Colin, are your jump numbers uptodate in your profile? If not, which dropzone/country did you get your rating(s)?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Five different people (not counting the examiner during the course) had the balls to trust me, right? So I figure it's only fair for me to pay it forward to the new TI's in the mix...

Good to know. I'll prolly got for my tandem rating this year or next. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Five different people (not counting the examiner during the course) had the balls to trust me, right? So I figure it's only fair for me to pay it forward to the new TI's in the mix...

Agreed, and I have for a handful of TI's. I don't like being on the front but I'll do it. It does make me appreciate the Sigma harness though, as the ones I did on the Sigma harness I felt fine, but the ones I did on Stong made me feel nauseous.
But I have said no to some because I did not feel safe with the TI in training.

And I think the TICD's are the real gutsy ones.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

This is where Relative Workshop differs from Strong Enterprises.
SE Tandem Examiners routinely jump strapped to the front of aspiring TIs, while RW TEs rarely do.
My attitude is: if the TE is not willing to entrust his life to a new TI, then he should not inflict the newby on the unsuspecting public.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people who have voted yes did a tandem for their first jump or somewhere during their student progression.

As for me - not a freaken chance! Tandems scare the shit out of me! Never done one, never will! I have, however, helped with IAD courses by playing student allowing people who have never made a dispatch in their life to toss my pc. I guess it's all what you're use to.

Canuck

I never had done a tandem until I had a couple of hundred jumps and decided to help out someone going for their TI. Unfortunately this asshat tried to kill us when he dumped the drogue after not being stable (read: we were flipping). I can honestly say it wasn't my fault (thank god), I'm a brick and was arching big time, with my arms in and my legs back and up where their supposed to be.

I did SL progression, ripcords and all.

Since then I got my rating and have been on quite a few rides along the way. Then again, I'm pretty much a good student until the drogue is out then I'll usually just leave a leg weird or something to that effect to make the TI have to fight a reasonably gentle turn.

Basically, I do whatever the RWS CD tells me to do to the canidate.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

SE Tandem Examiners routinely jump strapped to the front of aspiring TIs, while RW TEs rarely do.
My attitude is: if the TE is not willing to entrust his life to a new TI, then he should not inflict the newby on the unsuspecting public.

Not sure if I misunderstand what you said or you misunderstood what I said. I'm a TI, not an E or CD. The couple rare times I said no to someone was after they'd successfully passed the course, and were completing their required jumps with experienced skydivers. Even though they passed the course, I didn't want to jump with them. Just my choice. I don't really understand what you mean about RW TE's, the ones I know ride on front routinely. But I do agree, the TE (or CD) should be the first to ride on front and should not let the TI take anyone until they trust them. Isn't that the point of the course?

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I rode on the front with a guy who had never done a tandem during my RWS TI course . He planted us and HE had to re-do the jump.

My examiner rode on front with me twice during the course as well as with the other candidates.

I'm about to direct my first TI course as an examiner / course director, and I fully intend to be up front. (It get em the meat missle training for one thing...) :S Why get that rating if you're not willing to get into the thick of things. B|
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com