Jumpah

Why do you go to the tunnel?

I discovered the tunnel long after I started skydiving. I don't live all that close to a tunnel, so while I LOVED tunnel flying, I kept skydiving. An incident occured that made me re-evaluate skydiving and why I do it. I decided that the risk I take skydiving was not worth it. I got enjoyment ONLY from the freefall when skydiving and hated the plane ride and the canopy ride, so tunnel flying was PERFECT. I tunnel fly because I LOVE to fly.
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate

I started in the tunnel coz my partner is a skydiver and he wanted to go, I was excited even to hear they existed. Went and was hooked, don't have much spare time or money so only have about 30 mins to date. Did a tandem also this summer and felt totally at ease and excited by the freefall, just didn't like the canopy ride (was feeling sick, tight leg straps).
Planning to do aff next year, if I keep feeling sick when under canopy will give the skies a miss and stick to tunnel
Fear is Temporary, Regret is Forever!

www.myspace.com/byasa

I absolutely love skydiving, but I love learning new skills in the tunnel to help me in the air. I use it as a tool. Plus, flying in the tunnel is fun! Especially when Paige is in there with her beautiful smile, it just makes you excited about flying!

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

Way back, before the SV tunnel in Florida was even open to the public, the inventor of this wonderful machine, flew me and my two boys down to play around and try it out.

It's so nice to know "smart people."
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Look at THAT! Mar.. we probably met in 98 and didn't even know it!:P

You would have remembered me. I was the one with very little hair. I was just finishing a round of chemo when Bill flew me and the boys out there.

Plus you would have remember the boys. They were the brats that stood underneath the net, before there was a cone and a fence around that area, and spit up while I was flying in the chamber.

We were there in July of 98, before walls were put on the building.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Wow.. Mar.. it must be! You would've flown with my hubby John that day, and crazy as it is.. I think I DO remember the boys in that very situation. We arrived in Mid April and stayed through October.. and until we moved to the DZ in Deland in Sept. I was at the site pretty much full time with John while he was working.

I wish I had gotten to meet you formally then, but love to know we've crossed paths even before I knew we did.

sorry for the hijack...
:)

but ontopic.. why do I go to the tunnel?

It's hard to summarize... but when I fly, I feel free. My mind is free.. the bills, lifes stress, the worries I have when I'm walking around, are gone. Just gone. I am only in the moment.. that moment where you are infinitely free to be and do as you please. There is no limited amount of time, there is no bulky equipement or suits to get in the way.. there is nothing but me, my jeans, sweatshirt & me in the air.. it's not over until I DECIDE it's over.. the time, the air, the flight.. I own it. And even when I share my air with others.. it's infinite and priceless... flying is my dream, my quest and yet only one of many purposes in my life.

there is nothing like it in the world

I guess we did met earlier in our life and didn't know it. Cool!

On a side note without trying to hijack the thread.

After my boys were caught spitting up towards me in the flight chamber while I was flying, Bill looked at me and said, "We got to do some thing about that." I guess having the boys be brats paid off:ph34r:

I'm going to the UK in January so will be tunnel flying for the first time ever, yeee ha.

Why? Just because I happen to be staying a few km's from the tunnel :)Seriously, i think it will be a great experience and I'll get to learn some new skills and make sure my body position etc is correct. I have 3 more progression jumps left so I'm still fairly new into sky diving and rather gets thing right now before I form bad habits.

SO EXCITED B|

I was wondering why people go to the tunnel...for me, I went before I had my A to get better in freefall, and recently to get started with FF.

Why do you go?

It's the only way to become a jedei master without making 3000+ jumps (While I've heard Brian mention 1000 jumps belly to earth, head-up, and head down that's probably conservative; over 1000 sit jumps hasn't been enough for me) which would be more expensive (with about 35 seconds of working time to break-off, freefly jumps are about $40 a minute per person. Tunnel time is under $13 a minute for up to 4 people which is just $3.25 a minute) and time consuming (20 minutes of flight time per hour versus 35 seconds).

This completely disregards the communication advantages.