lizzieuk

Tunnels in the UK - worth it?

I know that a great deal of you guys in the US take advantage of the tunnels available at a lot of DZs - I even have friends from the UK who visit places like Perris to not just chase some sun but get some tunnel time. However, these guys are miles more experienced than me, with hundreds of jumps each.

There are two tunnels opening up in the UK this year, and I was wondering how benificial they really are, how useful for my experience level (AFF consols, hopefully A license soon) and if it's worth paying for - it'll cost about twice as much here as it does your side of the pond...

Any insight would be great, thanks :)

To start with i dunno about twice the price of the US but it is going to be expensive without a doubt.

I have only had the opportunity of one tunnel session (im kind of noob too) but i am totally convinced it is worth every penny.

Whether your a 'sky god' with thousands of jumps or a noob like me it is a safe, warm (helpfull in the UK) environment in which you can practice every little movement on a comparatively short period of time.

I for one cant wait for it to open, so i can spend some more money i dont have in the tunnel as well as in the sky

Hi Lizzie...

Although we havent published our prices yet... When our tariff is published - I think you will pleasantly surprised!

Cost to fly with us will certainly not be twice as much as the US... In fact for certain bookings we will probably be cheaper!

As for the value of tunnel time - I wont go there as I probably cant be seen as 'unbiased' :D

:)
Paul

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I was wondering how benificial they really are, how useful for my experience level (AFF consols, hopefully A license soon) and if it's worth paying for

Great benefits are gained from tunnel time at your experience level.

I did 90 minutes in the Orlando tunnel prior to doing AFF. The result of that time made it so that I was able to finish AFF in 3 jumps.

Tunnel time is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned, looking forward to my next camp this weekend B|

Jen
Arianna Frances

Excellent! I'm really glad to hear that the prices rumoured have been exaggerated, especially as my family live 20 minutes outside Bedford...

Looks like I'll be popping in when you're open, would love to get the chance to improve, especially as the weather over here is.. shall we say... unreliable at the best of times for jumping :)

No, but i will suggest that he buys me tunnel time ;).

I would definitely recommend tunnel time if you wish to improve your skills, but I would also recommend getting coaching with it to make the best of the time and progress quicker. Off course this is assuming the UK prices are reasonable in comparison to jump ticket prices.

Pabs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

know that a great deal of you guys in the US take advantage of the tunnels available at a lot of DZs -

So far Perris is the only one. Skydive AZ is next but that's still only 2 unless I'm missing one. **Bragg doesn't count, no one but "special" people can fly there>:([:/] lucky military bastards;):)
YES IT IS SOOOOOOOOO WORTH YOUR TIME! You'll be glad after you've gone I can promise you that. If you go in with a open mind to flying in a different environment and having your flying humbled but for vast improvement. You'll go leaps and bounds past where you were in the air. Of course this is with proper supervision and skill. Nothing is for certain but I'm pretty sure you'll love it and want more:D;)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I think it would be worth it in the long run to get a better idea off how you fly Lizzie. Why not discuss it with Stu and the rest off your possee at Peterlee. go as a group you may be able to split costs and share at the same time. We just came back from Lillo in spain and had a fantastic time where Ruth and some other ediburgh uni students got some 4 way coaching. Big difference in their exits from 1st jump to last jump. I know there is a discussion at St Andrews about going down to the tunnels once they are up and running.:ph34r:

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

If you go to the skyventure website www.skyventure.co.uk you can get advanced tickets. Fifty pounds for one hour. This guarantees at least 2 flights in this time plus a bonus flight. Free gear hire and training. Also, video or photo.

I didnt expect it to be that cheap but then it is a special offer.

I'm getting my cheque in now!! LOL

Mikey

Mikey
------------------------------------------
Fear Is Weakness Leaving Your Body

After 23 jumps I got my butt into a tunnel. They are great. You can learn so much in them and concentrate totally on what you are learning.

I do recommend getting a good coach. My coach in the Orlando tunnel was Ron and Martin. They were both great. Ron knew I had a fear of being on my back and made sure I got put on my back with the help of the tunnel rats. He made me do it so many times that my next jump when I went on my back I was totally calm and flipped right back over.

Get to the tunnel....I learned so much that I plan on going back when the weather here starts to suck again. Hopefully Ron will be willing to work with me again.;)
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

I first went to the tunnel a few years ago post RAPS (yep some of us still do it that way!) i'd done some WARP stuff but hadn't got my FS1. It made such a difference and have been again since and looking forward to going again in June to Paris (not quite as far to travel as the states). IMO now would be a great time to go as it is easier to learn skills the right way now rather than try to un-learn 'bad' habits later on.
The last time i was at the tunnel i was watching guys with over 1000 jumps trying to re-learn how to do turns, unsuprisingly they were really struggling, then us less experienced guys would get in and do it more or less straight off as we hadn't been doing it a different way for hundreds of jumps!
One thing I would say though is make sure you have enough time (and cash) to plan lots of jumps when you get back to consolidate what you have learnt in the tunnel and get the most out of all your hard work (also things do feel slightly different in the sky).
Also prepare yourself for a potential battering. The best way I can describe my first few minutes in the tunnel is like being a rag doll in a giant washing machine on spin! but you soon get used to it and the improvement in your skills is unbelievable not to mention that it's really good fun. be prepared for hard work though and don't go booking a load of time for your first shot at it as you could end up wasting money as you're too knackered to perform well and learn.
Have a fab time though...enjoy!

If you look at the site you'll find this is for the general visitors and your 2 flights will be about 2 mins each (not sure how long the bonus flight will be). You'll probably be better off getting in with a training camp with a proper tunnel coach.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Paul...
whats the scoop on freeflying in the tunnel...

Freeflying is possible with us - and with alot of space to do stuff! - however as with all other facilities a greater demostration of ability is required to ensure safety. Our coaching programmes cover all aspects of freefly also and we have spoken already to alot of world class skydivers regarding on site coaching and tunnel camps.
As soon as we have our first camp dates we will let you know!

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

If you go to the skyventure website www.skyventure.co.uk you can get advanced tickets. Fifty pounds for one hour. This guarantees at least 2 flights in this time plus a bonus flight. Free gear hire and training. Also, video or photo.

I didnt expect it to be that cheap but then it is a special offer.

I'm getting my cheque in now!! LOL

Mikey

note: if you read this carefully it doesnt actually say one hour in the tunnel. More like 2 minutes in the tunnel with 58 minutes of breifs ;)

edit: quote in wrong place

Warwick University Skydiving Club