aeio540

Want to start AFF but it's winter

I live in DFW and so I've only done my tandems at Skydive Dallas so I guess that will probably be my home DZ. Well I want to start AFF but wouldn't you know it, winter snuck up on me and now it's cold and kinda windy. Has anyone ever done AFF in the winter months (yeah, I know TX doesn't necessarily have "winters") in the Dallas-Fort Worth area or anyplace that gets cold for that matter? Should I wait for spring/summer months? My main concern would be staying current. I would aim to go every 2 weeks.

Well I'm not sure what the weather is like in Texas, but I live in Pennsylvania and it gets damn cold up here in the winter. You could do like I am and fly to Deland this February. I'm headed down there on some advice from a friend to do my AFF and to get my A license. I'm pretty pumped!
Lovin every second of it!

I live in DFW and so I've only done my tandems at Skydive Dallas so I guess that will probably be my home DZ. Well I want to start AFF but wouldn't you know it, winter snuck up on me and now it's cold and kinda windy

So let me guess, you want to wait until it's 110 degrees and windy?

Skydive Dallas, like every other Texas DZ is a year-round operation. Call them today and sign up for a first jump course, and get going.

FYI, Texas is a 'destination' for jumpers who have real winters to deal with. It's very common for jumpers in the 'great white north' to take skydiving vacations during the winter months where they go to a warm(er) place and do nothing but jump for a week or so. Florida, Arizona, California, and yes, Texas, all are popular spots for these types of trips.

I live in DFW and so I've only done my tandems at Skydive Dallas so I guess that will probably be my home DZ. Well I want to start AFF but wouldn't you know it, winter snuck up on me and now it's cold and kinda windy

So let me guess, you want to wait until it's 110 degrees and windy?

Skydive Dallas, like every other Texas DZ is a year-round operation. Call them today and sign up for a first jump course, and get going.

FYI, Texas is a 'destination' for jumpers who have real winters to deal with. It's very common for jumpers in the 'great white north' to take skydiving vacations during the winter months where they go to a warm(er) place and do nothing but jump for a week or so. Florida, Arizona, California, and yes, Texas, all are popular spots for these types of trips.

1. I wish it was 110 year round. I lived up north and got tired of it.

2. Didn't realize Texas was a destination for jumpers. Makes sense though.

3. Screw it I'll sign up. I don't feel like waiting until spring.

Thanks for the replies

you waited too long! Now you will have to wait till they open back up on the 4th!! I started static line at the start of winter in louisiana and weather did suck but I made it through. We are only a weekend DZ, where dallas isn't so that will help you out

Normally I would defend my own honor on the internet...but today I won't.

Argh I'm such a big pussy! I wish my mommy would wait at the DZ to catch me!

Seriously though, not too much the cold, just the weather in general. Overheard someone telling a student that they want to get AFF out of the way because the winters in Texas (winds and all) pretty much grounds a student and where as someone with an A license has twice as long, they can get away with not having to jump every thirty days.

But in the spring I guess we have wicked wild fires and massive wind so I just have to pick the better of two evils.

Welcome to skydiving. You will now look at the weather in a completely different way. Standard weather forecasts will no longer do. Cloudy? Well, what do you mean by cloudy? How high is the ceiling? Breezy? Windy? So what's the dividing line there? And WTF does "Partly cloudy" really mean, anyway? :D

Soon enough you'll need the AWOS phone number (if there is an AWOS at your airport, that is) so you can call in and hear the magical words "Clear below one two thousand feet." Of course, once you hear that you've gotta listen for Mr. Automated Voice to tell you the winds as well, because those numbers might be nice ... and they might be naughty (high, gusty, or both).

And even armed with all that info, a lot of skydiving weather "management" involves going to the DZ and waiting. Waiting for that morning fog to burn off. Waiting for the winds to die down. Waiting for that hole in the clouds to appear right over the DZ.

And yeah, some of the limitations are tighter when you're a student, but to be honest, this never really goes away. We're at the mercy of the weather, and every season has its weather challenges to be aware of.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Seriously though, not too much the cold, just the weather in general. Overheard someone telling a student that they want to get AFF out of the way because the winters in Texas (winds and all) pretty much grounds a student and where as someone with an A license has twice as long, they can get away with not having to jump every thirty days.

Lots to do and learn at the DZ even on those shit weather days. Carry your SIM and study it at the DZ. after a few jumps you'll probably come up with questions you never knew to think of...down time is a good time to sit with the instructors and chat an just generally bullshit about life. If they have full time folks that live there there will likely be staff on the DZ regardless of weather. Take a packing class. Learn there are lots of ways to spend money after hours (beer and poker etc).

On that really nice day when they're slammed and it is tandem and AFF city and there is that last student slot...you may get lucky over the guy that just shows up, jumps and leaves.

Twice during student progression I was a day from not being current due to weather. But it wasn't really that bad as I was still there learning.

Just my two cents.

I made the majority of my AFF jumps between December 13 2007 and February 27 2008. Yeah, it was cold -- it was -27 at 14,000 for my check dive. 3 layers of under armor and a good pair of neoprene gloves and I hardly noticed the cold. I still jump through the winter.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Average temp of 15c highs and 4c lows.... that is not winter for a lot of jumpers.

Wear some thermals if you really feel the cold ( I have friends from hotter climates that bitch about what I call warm.) You wont get the pain that minus temps cause the rest of us.

HTFU... this is parachuting, not golf.

Dude stop being a pussy.

ditto !

But you get extra points for trying to stay current!!
Seriously, that's the right attitude...just show up on opening day at any and I do mean any northern dz and just count the number of individuals that won't or Don't get any recurrancy training, and just sit back and watch the fun, err,...I mean carnage...
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Dude stop being a pussy.

ditto !

But you get extra points for trying to stay current!!
Seriously, that's the right attitude...just show up on opening day at any and I do mean any northern dz and just count the number of individuals that won't or Don't get any recurrancy training, and just sit back and watch the fun, err,...I mean carnage...

Yeah, I listened to too many couch skydivers/paragliders. Eh.
No regrets. Some Underarmor makes a difference.

I do have one piece of wisdom to share with you that I hope you remember,...

Don't open at 12 grand for the thrill of it in the winter, in any really cold area, the extra time in the super cold air is insane!

And I meant it,... if you can afford to do something every two weeks whilst you are learning,...that is a good thing and will serve you well. If you can't jump every two weeks and after a winter layover as many are faced with...Then start out slow...THERE is no shame in level ones, in fact demand some time on the ground. And review the shit out of everything!!! And again, if available, if time/ money permit,...find a tunnel.
Good Luck and keep up the good work.
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I live in DFW and so I've only done my tandems at Skydive Dallas so I guess that will probably be my home DZ. Well I want to start AFF but wouldn't you know it, winter snuck up on me and now it's cold and kinda windy. Has anyone ever done AFF in the winter months (yeah, I know TX doesn't necessarily have "winters") in the Dallas-Fort Worth area or anyplace that gets cold for that matter? Should I wait for spring/summer months? My main concern would be staying current. I would aim to go every 2 weeks.

Get out there and go for it. I'm in the Atlanta area and just started my AFF jumps on December 23. Finished the 7 jumps before January was over and now have 14 jumps in.
By no means am I bragging, just trying to encourage you to get out and go for it. Last Saturday, just before the door opened, the pilot announced that it was a chilly 1° outside.
Don't let old man Winter stop you from getting started.
Canopies must all be female. If I treat mine good, she gives me a good ride. If I slap her in the bag, she will dump me like a turd.

Courtesy of PRE7117, love that line.

With low humidity and gloves jumping is pleasant with ground temperatures down to 40 degrees.

In a decade of skydiving in Colorado I never went a full month between jumps except after herniating a disc in a sneezing accident. December/January might have had a few 3 week delays.

Texas is farther south and warmer.

The wind can be a factor for a student at Dallas almost any time of the year. Sitting and waiting for a chance to jump is just part of it. You can always spend that time learning to pack and visiting with other jumpers.

Get some UnderArmer or the Walmart knock off and a couple of warm layers and after it is above 50F on the ground, things are not too bad as far as the cold goes.

It is a little slower paced in the winter but that can be a good thing. Many don't study as much as they need to.

TK suggested a trip to Zhills. We were there in early Jan and it was just beautiful. Jumped in shorts and a t-shirt part of the time.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Yeah I'm doing my AFF Lvl 4 jump now. I have a jump this weekend. Honestly can't complain, it's been a very mild winter (and I've now jinxed it). I wear some underarmor and it gets the job done. Funny thing is that it's pretty cold inside the packing area but once you go out in the sun, it gets warm quick. Wish I could jump weekly but for now it's pretty much 2x a month when not traveling for work. Eh. Atleast I'm jumping.

(and I've now jinxed it).

I had to open my mouth. It was freezing cold and then wind and clouds came out of nowhere. By 10:30 I started feeling ill and decided to head home. Got home and the wife was also feeling sick so spent most of the weekend in bed. Eh, what can you do? We'll see what happens next weekend.

I've done my solo, coached jumps, and check out jumps during the winter months (between dec - february) here in CA. Highs here would generally creep up only to about 68. Ok, i know that's pretty warm for CA, but we're not used to 68 or lower degress. But during the morning it would literally be as cold as 35 degrees.

Because I had to be current as a student (make a jump every 30 days) and because I loved to jump, i had no choice but to bundle up and just do it.
I bundled up, but not to the point where i could not freely move, arch, or reach my hackey sack.

Bottom line, if you're committed you can do..heck, the adrenaline alone will null out the cold and you won't even think about it. Plus I think the winter months are great since there are not alot of jumpers at the DZ, as compared to the spring - fall, which means I was pretty much guaranteed i was able to rent the appropriate sized gear.

Good luck!