mac2501

maximum weight for AFF

Harnesses are rated to wither 254lbs wexit weight or 300lbs exit weight depending on which harness. Some ex-tandem rigs are rated to much higher levels. 294lbs puts him at close to 345 at exit, thats into special equipment range usually. Call Deland but don't be surprized if they tell him to lose up to 30+ lbs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

-Sorry not an instructor here - but have some info that might be useful!

A "big" friend of mine did his AFF with gear purchased even before he began his course. I am not sure about the specifics but I think it was something like a military container. Call Para Concepts at Skydive Chicago - they will be able to help your friend.

Harnesses are rated to wither 254lbs wexit weight or 300lbs exit weight depending on which harness. Some ex-tandem rigs are rated to much higher levels. 294lbs puts him at close to 345 at exit, thats into special equipment range usually. Call Deland but don't be surprized if they tell him to lose up to 30+ lbs.

300 would be really hard to match fallrates with!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

100lb people do not play pro football and 300lb people do not skydive.

Very little, if any equipment out there that can do the job. And just because you find a DZ willing to do it does not mean they are necessarily following the rules or doing it safely.

Strong make a Mighty Mak rig, with 425 main and reserve. I doubt any DZ has one.

Dress for success;) If any DZ would have the talent around it to pull a student jump off in that range Deland would be in the top 5.

Stong has their Mighty Mac, UPT could convert an old Vector2 for student operations, some of the military rigs could work too. Someone in that size is going to need some big canopies. Call the DZ now if they might need to make special arangements for gear.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Your point is valid. Gear can be special made or found, instructors can dress for success and/or modify the programs to implement tunnel time or something to make sure the dives go smooth...

But... I am more worried about the general athleticism of the individual.

It is super rare to find a 300 pound individual that is in great athletic condition, it pretty much is limited to football players that train daily.

How well will this person be able to exit the plane and land the parachute? A PLF for 300 pounds of weight will be super critical because that is a lot of weight to break a bone on a crappy landing.

I would say, if the guy wants to skydive, he needs to get a bit more active and lose a bit of weight, assuming that he is the average 300 pound guy and not an athlete.

I say this with some experience. I went from 240 to 200 to skydive. I had to wait a year after my first desire to do AFF. It was worth it. I did not even call the DZ to ask, they had a posted weight limit, and I respected it.

Skydive deLand has a big boy rig, when i did coach jumps there a guy named Justin was doing AFF he was 6ft 10 and about 300 pounds basketball player. DeLand have taken many larger people through aff and have customized parachutes.
Its funny though i remember Nikki and Pedro wearing only shorts and t-shirt and about 30 pounds of weight when they jumped with him.
he graduated the programme and i believe he still jumps.

Your point is valid. Gear can be special made or found, instructors can dress for success and/or modify the programs to implement tunnel time or something to make sure the dives go smooth...

But... I am more worried about the general athleticism of the individual.

It is super rare to find a 300 pound individual that is in great athletic condition, it pretty much is limited to football players that train daily.

How well will this person be able to exit the plane and land the parachute? A PLF for 300 pounds of weight will be super critical because that is a lot of weight to break a bone on a crappy landing.

I would say, if the guy wants to skydive, he needs to get a bit more active and lose a bit of weight, assuming that he is the average 300 pound guy and not an athlete.

I say this with some experience. I went from 240 to 200 to skydive. I had to wait a year after my first desire to do AFF. It was worth it. I did not even call the DZ to ask, they had a posted weight limit, and I respected it.

considering he manages to PLF when he does military jumps with 100lbs of kit hanging off him and he can move pretty fasy when were getting brassed up in Baghdad i would say hes resonably fit

ME, Jumbo, and Anvilbrother all are 300lbs plus and jump. It aint easy but it is possible. 2 of us jumped at Gold Coast for AFF on a MT1-XX rig (military). Unfortunatley I do not have my old rig anymore otherwise it would be up for rent for the bigboys. 370 main and 335 reserve in that one, 370lbs on the main anf 444lbs on the reserve is what it was rated at. My current rig is technically a SOV Vector (military) but it is extremely hard to tell from a Vector 3 unless you know what your looking for. It is actually built heavier than a tandem, and I think that was more for Relative Workshop (UPT) to cover there butts. So with that it is possible and yes all three of us need to lose some weight (38lbs down for me already...go me!) :P

"GOT LEAD?"