NtheSeaOrSky

Commercial Wind Tunnel Training?

I didn't know what to call them, those wind tunnels not associated with dropzones. Well there is one somewhat nearby (several hours) and I am having difficulty stopping my spins on my own. On my level 3 AFF when I turned, the JM's stopped and I fell stable on heading the rest of the time. On my level 4, it was a mess. I was backsliding and turning all over, no matter the corrections I tried (legs, arms, arch, breathe, relax) or the counter turns I attempted. I was at one time in a hard left spin banking (and looking) as hard as I could to the right. My JM's verdict was my legs need to be out more. Should I continue to do "practice jumps" at the current cost $150 or opt for a little training in the tunnel (much cheaper)? Are there any drawbacks to using the tunnel as a student at this level? I want to be able to recognize what is causing the problem and how to correct it, but with the very little time I have in freefall, it doesn't leave me much to work with. Can I get the basics in the tunnel and "finesse" them in freefall??

I think the tunnel in Orlando probably IS the best on account of the afforementioned reasons........I went there prior to my (2nd) level 3 jump @ Skydive Tampa Bay, bought 30 minutes w/a coach......Cured my stability problems for the most part, and I passed the rest of my AFF with no sweat. It certainly gave my body a better idea of how to fly.(Skydiving aint the most NATURAL thing!) I wouldn't hesitate to go to the tunnel, regardless of which one it is. (I've been to the one in Pigeon Forge Tenn. also) Guaranteed it'll help.
Gregg
P.S. If you can start a spin, you can probably stop one!

>Should I continue to do "practice jumps" at the current cost $150 or opt for a little
> training in the tunnel (much cheaper)?
Probably. I had a level 4 student yesterday who came to AFF with 6 minutes of tunnel time, and he did awesome in the air. He will probably make it through AFF in four jumps - we did all the level 4 and 5 TLO's on one jump, and he was rock-solid. (He also had half a dozen military round jumps, and so had a bit of canopy experience as well.) He trained at the tunnel in Orlando.
-bill von

no wind tunnels in the UK.
There are strong rumours that plans are in place for one to be build in London (skyventure orlando type with fans sucking the air from the top), but untils its up, I wont really beleive it....
Besides, the cost of things in the UK will probably make serious tunnel time here more expensive then a cheap trip to Orlando...
Remi
Muff 914

www.air-power-arende.de

Netscape is unable to locate the server:
www.air-power-arende.de
The server does not have a DNS entry.
krypton$ traceroute www.air-power-arende.de
traceroute: unknown host www.air-power-arende.de
krypton$ nslookup www.air-power-arende.de
[snip]
*** noc.liacs.nl can't find www.air-power-arende.de: Non-existent host/domain
I hope you simply made a typo, for I'm quite interested in this particular tunnel.
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

www.air-power-arena.de

Thanks. I tried various corrections, but didn't think of this one.:$
Pity that the site's font is hardly legible, but of course: when all else fails, read the source ;)

But it is a rather small one I think..not as sophisiticated as you would find them in the USA

But it's cheaper than the US tunnels as well :D
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

Damnit. After reading this thread and the other one I ended up enrolling for a tunnelcamp at SkyVenture.
There really needs to be some sort of "warning: after reading this you will spend lots of money" icon for threads like this.

I saw also on the wind tunnel homepage (adress to that page was also posted somewhere on this thread) there is a new wind tunnel (twister) in France which looks pretty nice and a lot better then the one in Germany. I don't think it's operational yet though...I would love to visit that one...
Are you thinking about going to Germany Fonz?

which camp are you going to mark? I would recomend the magik boys.....they even have an all inclusive which includes two hours in the tunnel, 18 coached skydives, hotel, and transport while in FL........check it out...
marc
"...a mind stretched with new idea's will never regain its shape"

I just got back from a tunnel camp today. I flew in the Airspeed tunnel camp (tunnelcamp.com) and it was incredible. We had 1 student who had 7 jumps and had almost quit the sport due to a high speed spin. By the end of the camp he was flying better than most people who have hundreds of jumps. Another guy with 2 tandems only, was turning star dougnut points well. Point is that in a few days these students who couldn't fall stable now were moving at will and had few is any issues with stability at any time. I ahve heard that the SkyVenture instructors are very good for basic stability as well.
God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross