j0nes

Tandem instructors

There is a fantastic photo of the German Army Parachute team doing a ten (actually twenty counting the passengers)-way round all with tandems. I think that was taken around 1990. That same team had a photo of them in a ten-way with full HALO gear and........wait........ROLLERSKATES!

Chuck

There is a fantastic photo of the German Army Parachute team doing a ten (actually twenty counting the passengers)-way round all with tandems. I think that was taken around 1990. That same team had a photo of them in a ten-way with full HALO gear and........wait........ROLLERSKATES!

The German military mind just baffles me. Were they going to parachute onto some forward area of the autobahn to be towed into combat behind trucks on rollerskates?

Some sort of farfegnugen towed glider concept?

Drunk grounded military skydivers are even worse than the civilian type.

"Vait! I've got zis grrrreat Idea!"

:P

A three part answer . . .

1) Free fall drift: a tandem with a drogue out travelling 120 will drift a bit more than a solo skydiver with the same fall rate (Can anyone else chime in on that? John Kallend? Anyone? Anyone?)

2) Intentionally moving the tandem pair with the drogue out is possible, but you don't move very far.

3) RW between tandems in drogue-fall is VERY dangerous.
Arrive Safely

John

Theres a great bit on one of "The Shovels" (a team from Autralia) movies from where Douggs and someone are doing a bit of rel under drouge. Not sure where that bit of footage was shot but it looks great.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

if your going big......don't throw the drouge.......tandem pairs with perfect students stand a better chance at any type of RW going tandem terminal. toss in a couple hangers and that would be a sweet hyrid dive.
certainly could be done by some, but not by most!.
StAy SaFe,
jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

safer to do the RW drogueless, but I think drogueless fall is not recommended by manufacturers (just a guess). Plan on higher separation in order to ensure enough slowing down before deployment. :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

This raises and interesting question, if you are gonna do drogueless RW on a tandem. How long can you wait before throwing the drogue?

I suppose what I am asking is can you throw a drogue at tandem terminal, and if so how long would it take you to slow down to safe (according to manufacturers spec) deployment speed?

BOOM Headshot

This raises and interesting question, if you are gonna do drogueless RW on a tandem. How long can you wait before throwing the drogue?

I suppose what I am asking is can you throw a drogue at tandem terminal, and if so how long would it take you to slow down to safe (according to manufacturers spec) deployment speed?

I am rated in 2 systems and they both say drogue toss needs to be done 2000' before opening. Still don't think I would do tandem rw, but that's just me
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional

This raises and interesting question, if you are gonna do drogueless RW on a tandem. How long can you wait before throwing the drogue? <<<<<

The rest of your like. Ha, HA! I couldn't resist. I think it would cause damanage to the drouge or unnessary wear pitching it at terminal.

You can pull the drouge release handle, then pitch the drouge also

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

AFAIK everybody is supposed to take at least one tandem to terminal velocity, during one of his trainingjumps...

Once it's at terminal distance to the ground would be the decisive factor.

You can pull the drouge release handle, then pitch the drouge also

Though you can with a Strong, I wouldn't recommend that on most other systems...

On the topic of 'tandem RW': it has been done. Which is not to say that it is a bright idea... :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Yeah, I was nervious doing that, I had to do barrel roll's and then 360 turns on heading, pitch the droug before 11k. Exit alti was like 14k. But it was actualy easy, doing all that.

My biggest challenge was learning to fly Tandems canopies I had never flown before, in a pattern at a new DZ I had never jumped at before, with other T-I's I had never flown with before either. Ha! I almost landed my wife in the pond at Z-hill on a tandem jump there. Boy that would have been sweet, huh? HA!:)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

It takes 8-10 seconds after throwing a drogue at tandem terminal (170 mph), for it to slow you down to 120.

1) Free fall drift: a tandem with a drogue out travelling 120 will drift a bit more than a solo skydiver with the same fall rate (Can anyone else chime in on that? John Kallend? Anyone? Anyone?)

No they wont. Both the solo skydiver and the tandem pair will drift the exact same amount after they've been in freefall for a while. The speed they'll drift at will be the speed of the winds aloft. The tandem pair will take a bit longer to adjust to the wind speed since they have more momentum than the solo skydiver.

Think about it; if you're doing RW with a tandem and you're facing perpendicular to the wind, do you have to side-slip to stay relative to the tandem? No.

Anyone with actual knowledge of physics, please feel free to correct me. (John Kallend? Anyone? Anyone?):P