Swooopa-x

DropZones Where Radios Are Used- please post.

Hi All,
trying to establish how many worldwide DZ's
are using radios for student landings.

Seems a good way to go though there must be problems associated to it.
Comments welcome :)
Thanx in advance
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Beas,

I'm under the impression that most DZ's in the US are using radios to bring their students in. I'd actually be interested in the replies that arrive here.

Here are a few links to discussions on radios that have happened before.

Is the JSC instructor body looking to start using them?

Blues
Peej

Links:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1667300;search_string=Student%20Radios;#1667300

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1186114;search_string=Student%20Radios;#1186114

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=434763;search_string=Student%20Radios;#434763

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

No need for a list, seriously, it would be hard to find a DZ in the US that does not use radios for students. Many even use helmet to helmet comms so teh JM can talk to the student in freefall!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Thanx for the replies guys
But could you please help with a specific listing of the DZ / DZ's.
Again Thanx in advance.

Here's a list of Canadian DZ's. As I said earlier, I'd be surprised if any of them don't use radios.

The ones with the little airplane icons are actual schools. It's colder here now so you might not get a reply to email right away, some DZO's head south in the winter :)
http://www.cspa.ca/en/members.htm
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Is there anyplace that doesn't use them? Every dz that I've jumped at uses radios for their students.

As far as I know Lodi still doesn't use radios.

How could you possibly do it without radios? Unless you're using round canopies.

Train the students better?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Is there anyplace that doesn't use them? Every dz that I've jumped at uses radios for their students.

How could you possibly do it without radios? Unless you're using round canopies.

We don't, at our DZ, some Dutch DZ's do though but they have trickier landing areas.
Our students usually manage to land on the field they're supposed to, and in the right direction too ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You must have smarter students than us;)

It's usually at least 5 or 6 jumps before we take away the radio.

Do you teach them to flare themselves or do they just pound in in half brakes the first few jumps?

They are told to flare at 2m, but usually it taks them 3 jumps or so (that's what it took for me) to figure out to flare lower ;) They have to hold the flare if they flare to heigh. We never teach the half-break thing AFAIK.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Headcorn, UK - I still get given a radio but if I want to do the pattern myself and flare when I feel etc I flail my legs like a loon while under canopy and they let me get on with it. Havent needed them for about 6 jumps now. Most of the time I cant hear it anyway!

We used strictly "paddles" up until about 3 years ago. Paddles do have definite advantages over radios. There seems to be a dozen different things that can happen that render radios useless. Paddles are more positive, but if the student can't find the DZ by themselves paddles are useless, and the student’s on their own.

I've actually considered using radios up until some point in the landing pattern, then switching to paddles.

Martin
Air Capital Drop Zone
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

At Fingerlakes (NY) we use a simple walkie talkie system with an earpiece for the student. When I got there 6 years ago, the method of choice was a huge arrow at the peas which you ran around and the student flew in the direction of the arrow. I never quite did work out how they were supposed to see the arrow if they were flying away from it. When you got them on final, you were supposed to whip out the yellow flags, and the student was supposed to mimic your arm actions.

The argument was that visual information was processed faster than aural information making for a speedier response. I didn't buy it then, and I don't buy it now.

Where I trained at Skydive Palatka, FL, we had motorola radios, the only downside of which were we often heard the price of towels on Aisle 5 and intercepted a couple of interesting cell phone calls.

All in all, I prefer radios until you're happy they're not going to damage the gear :S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I'm "a late convert", switching to radio's only last season, after using paddles for + 15 years.
Indeed - paddles are useless when somebody can't find the DZ for the life of it, that's why I decided to change. Other than that, they do the job just fine, IMHO...

Radio's are great when the students listen - but they don't always do that... :S
(Well, you can relate to that, I guess... :P)

I've found radio's actually easier than paddles (AGAIN, when they listen) since you don't have to be in the students line of sight. Then again, I distinctly remember an accident @ another dutch club where the student did exactly as told. Unfortunatly the club was at a summercamp and the radioinstructor (not familiar with the DZ's surroundings) steered the student into powerlines - which ended with a fatality...

Also, if you want the students to grow up and become "tuff & independant" you do away with this sort of "crutches" as early as possible.

"Unobstructed Lane"
"Canopy straight above you / Wing level"

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Picton, Sydney, Australia uses radios, primarily as a backup to a big arrow and paddles.

Pitfalls? We're near a freeway. My AFF-1 canopy ride was memorable:

"Dial 1-800-666-333 for crack whores."
"Yeah dude, they're skanky ass bitches that'll do anything you want."
"Turn 90 left."

We've since switched frequencies and no longer have problems with chatter from truckers :)

KSUPC in kansas uses radios. Our old radios about 5 years ago would pick up cell phones or mcdonalds, but the new ones work great. Also, we train our students how to land in case the radio breaks.

I think out of 200+ students I've seen land, less then a dozen had a radio break or fall off or something.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I'm really surprised that many places have done it without radios. I guess we're spoiled nowadays.

The paddles sound like a cool idea. It seems like a lot of people would get lost though. When I do a tandem with someone, I'll usually ask them after opening if they can find the landing area. ALOT of them can't. Some can't even find it even when I try to pont it out. I can just imagine them trying to find a guy down there on the ground with paddles.

When I do a tandem with someone, I'll usually ask them after opening if they can find the landing area. ALOT of them can't. Some can't even find it even when I try to pont it out. I can just imagine them trying to find a guy down there on the ground with paddles.

That can be easely solved: Give every tandempassenger a torough briefing with LOCAL aereal photo's and LOCAL aereal video AND some basic training in the principles of steering the canopy during some 2 to 3 hours before you take em up with a tandem. My bet is that the succesrate of finding the DZ rises dramatically. The guy with the paddles is usually in the middle of the large field... ;)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...