CanuckInUSA

So you want to be a TM and/or AFF Instructor

Are there any "So you want to be a Tandem Master" and/or "So you want to be an AFF Instructor" light reading material out there? I did glace through a few threads here and there. But didn't find anything all that specific as to exactly how to get one of these ratings in terms of what knowledge someone needs and what skills one needs to be practicing before they do their evaluation jumps.

I'm likely going to need to move back to Canada in the not too distant future and I figured it might be helpful to not only myself to be able to do one of these jobs, but to also be helpful to the DZ if I had the rating(s). It seems that DZs which have qualified TMs and AFF Instructors can train new skydiving prospects and the only way to grow this sport in places where growth has potential is to ensure that qualified people are around to act as TMs and AFF Instructors.

Any info to this thread is appreciated. Of course I also need to chat with some of the locals who work as TMs and AFF Instructors at my DZ. But I thought I'd start here. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yeah Bram and Elly rock.

They have these cram courses they call a "Course Marathon" where they will put you through all of the courses in like two weeks.

You can walk in with 500 jumps, 3 years in the sport, 6 hours of FF, and a cutaway. And leave with AFF/and both Tandem ratings.

While you are there, get a S/L I as well. Smaller DZ's still use it, and you never know where you might work.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

While you are there, get a S/L I as well. Smaller DZ's still use it, and you never know where you might work.

At least at the Hinckley one, Bram isn't doing a static line course, but maybe he normally does. I know I would have been there if so. :|

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

If you move back to Canada, the ratings would have to be CSPA
Tandem would be the easier to qualify for, C CoP and Coach 1
PFFI requires Instructor A(JM), and Coach 2
Coach 1 and JM courses are fairly frequent Coach 2 and PFF less so.
There are a couple of DZs that are USPA affiliated Abbotsford BC, and Gan in Ontario.
All the DZs in Alberta are now CSPA.

Andrew

So what you're telling me is that USPA ratings are worthless in Canada? Hmmm ... that doesn't sound very encouraging. I didn't have issues obtaining a temporary pilots certificate from Transport Canada a couple of years ago when I showed them my FAA credentials. I know the Calgary jumping scene did have that inquiry to deal with, but why are USPA ratings worthless? Yes I can see how some instructional aspects may differ (don't really have an issue adapting to Canada's instructional criteria), but doesn't the tandem manufacturer kind of control the tandem ratings. So why are USPA tandem ratings worthless?

I feel very homeless about now. The US doesn't want me and Canada obviously doesn't think I'll be a qualified as a skydiver?

Sorry if I sound ornary or anything like that. But I worked hard to get where I am today and being told that my US jumping experience in Canada is worthless is very disheartening.

Is there a RPL process?

I know that in Australia, you can show them your ratings, go through some tests and stuff, and get our ratings.

Don't know about the details (that's where the devil is) but the system allows for that eventuallity.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Is there a RPL process?

I'm obviously not familiar with the CSPA rules, but after reading some of the stuff on the pages Andrew forwarded in this thread (shit 1/2 the pages are not complete and contain some sort of language which I can't read ... no it's not English or French). Anyway I'm not feeling very positive about the controlling agency of my Canadian skydiving peers. I can understand the need to bridge the differences between the instructional methods of the USPA and CSPA. But for the CSPA to not honor USPA tandem ratings just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Plus what about my current USPA license? Isn't there something called the FAI which we all belong to? Or am I considered a student skydiver by the CSPA and would need to go through all their crap from square one? As I said, I'm not feeling a whole lot of love towards the CSPA if what 174FPS said about the CSPA not honoring USPA experience and ratings is true. >:(

So what you're telling me is that USPA ratings are worthless in Canada?

It's called reciprocity.
Do you think there are any USPA DZs that will honour my CSPA ratings?
The truth is there is a process for getting your US licenses converted provided you were a resident of the US when you started. As for instructional ratings, a conversion process is available, but you still need the coaching ratings from the Coaching Council of Canada. CSPA does not issue tandem ratings.
Since you don't have any instructor ratings at present why would you get the American ones and then try to convert? Do you consider Canadian ratings to be somehow inferior? It's a rather poor attitude to take into a teaching regime you plan on participating in.
Is this a stigma you carry with you about your entire cultural heritage? If so good luck getting your visa renewed.

Since you don't have any instructor ratings at present why would you get the American ones and then try to convert? Do you consider Canadian ratings to be somehow inferior? It's a rather poor attitude to take into a teaching regime you plan on participating in.

You misunderstand the situation I am in. I am not working right now, but fortunately I have enough savings to jump a lot this summer and at the same time I figured this would be the best time to get these ratings (while I have the time and money). I may not be in this situation next year. But I can't travel up to Canada right now as I risk not being allowed to return to the US if I do while I'm in this transitional phase.

Do you think there are any USPA DZs that will honour my CSPA ratings?

I thought this was what the FAI was all about. To have some sort of standard so that it didn't really matter where you came from. As long as you have the knowledge and experience.

Do you consider Canadian ratings to be somehow inferior?

No I obviously don't know very much about skydiving in Canada ... but at the same time it sure sounds like Canada believes that I'm an inferior skydiver (Canadians are just as guilty as Americans when it comes to believing that their society is superior and having lived in both countries I can tell you that neither system is superior to the other). After reading the info you provided me from that website (which I do appreciate you providing), it sure sounds like this Coach-1 rating could be similar to the USPA coach rating. Actually the USPA coach sounds a little more involved than the Coach-1 CSPA rating ... but I could be wrong. I've got a lot to learn concerning teaching people how to skydive. But rest assured I have built up enough experience to know how to skydive and how not to skydive.

Is this a stigma you carry with you about your entire cultural heritage? If so good luck getting your visa renewed.

I guess I'm not wanted in either country. My motivation in all of this was NOT to get free/paid jumps. It was to act as a resource to help turn out new skydivers to help grow the Canadian/Calgary skydiving community so that maybe just maybe there would be enough skydivers to warrant a DZ picking up a turbine aircraft (I've seen first hand what happens when there is enough tandem traffic, resulting in student activity, resulting in new skydivers, resulting in the odd experienced skydiver resulting in enough demand for a turbine aircraft). But I was warned by a seasoned skydiver when I first got into this sport about being careful about making skydiving become a job, hence the reason why I have 1150 jumps and no ratings. I've been concentrating on having fun, concretrating on my own canopy control skills and jumping with experienced people as well as newbies at my own personal expense. I see too many people working in this industry only jumping when it's a free or paid jump. So if I was wrong and an inferior skydiver because of this, well ... no comment. [:/]

I thought this was what the FAI was all about.

What is your FIA membership number? It is a completely seperate organization outside the USPA/CSPA that you'd need to join. At this time they are not involved in the ratings but they are starting to work on it. They administer records and issue licences (I believe), but don't have any control over ratings.

Save some of the $ you have now and do a Coach 1 course in the spring. Issue resolved. No where does it appear that your jumps have been wasted or that it makes you an inferior skydiver :S
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My advice to you is to get your USPA coach rating and then get a Tandem rating. That will give you enough to learn for one year. The ratings slam dunk Ron is talking about may be ok for a full time pro (although I have my doubts) but for a part time instructor you should concentrate at being a good coach and a good TM. If you think you are coming back to Calgary or Vancouver you should get a Strong rating. Both Calgary area DZs and two of the three Vancouver area DZs use Strong tandems. The manufacturer's rating is good in many countries (just not the US, you will need an USPA rating at most DZs). This is also the rating that is constantly in the highest demand.

Lighten up Canuck in USA,

We will still love you even if you hold USPA licenses.

The Federation Aeronautique International is the global aero sport body that hosts World Championships, World Record attempts and tries to set international standards for skydiving sporting licenses.
For example, circa 2000 - on behalf of the FAI - Harro Trempaneau (past-president of CSPA, organizer of the annual Kenya Boogie, etc.) surveyed all FAI-affiliated national skydiving associations (APF, BPA, CSPA, USPA, etc.) and wrote a new set of standards for sporting licenses. CSPA adopted Harro's suggestions with only minor changes. USPA updated their sporting licenses, but made a few more changes - just because it was not invented in the USA.
Now USPA and CSPA sporting licenses/Certificates of Proficiency are almost identical and make you welcome at any USPA or CSPA DZ.
As for instructor ratings, follow Andrew's advice by starting with a USPA Coach rating (roughly equivalent to CSPA Coach 1) and do enough jumps with a factory examiner to earn a tandem rating.
With those two ratings, you can work at most DZs in North America.
USPA Tandem ratings are only relevant when working at USPA-affiliated DZs.
It will be a few years more before CSPA introduces a Canadian TI rating.

There is a formal process to convert USPA instructional ratings to CSPA ratings. It involves spending a day or two with a CSPA Course Conductor and jumping with him/her until you convince him/her that you are competent to teach to Canadian standards.
For example, there are just enough differences between AFF (USPA) and PFF (CSPA) to confuse a student - not enough to kill him - just enough to confuse him and force him to repeat a level ($$$).

As for the suggestion about "ratings marathons" ....
Hah!
Hah!
Hah!
Earning one rating is an exhausting process!
Far wiser to spread the process over three or four years.

Despite Andrew's grumpiness (DZO is a stressful job) you are still welcome at Pitt Meadows, Alberta Skydivers Limited, Niagara Skydive Center, etc.
Come play with us, then we will see where we can fit you into our instructor rotation.

Rob Warner
USPA Static-Line and IAD Instructor (lapsed)
CSPA S/L, IAD and PFF Instructor
tandem ratings from 3 manufacturers
FAA Master Rigger
CSPA Rigger Instructor

They have these cram courses they call a "Course Marathon" where they will put you through all of the courses in like two weeks.

You can walk in with 500 jumps, 3 years in the sport, 6 hours of FF, and a cutaway. And leave with AFF/and both Tandem ratings.

That's gotta make for great Instructors:S.

Derek

That's gotta make for great Instructors

Derek, you and I both know that no USPA course is going to make anyone a good, or bad instructor. The course is only to allow people to learn how to teach.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Derek, you and I both know that no USPA course is going to make anyone a good, or bad instructor. The course is only to allow people to learn how to teach.

No, but cookie cutter courses isn't exactly setting the stage for good Instructors. Lots of practice and working with Instructors before going to a course, focusing on one rating at a time, will make for a much better Instructor. I think starting out as a S/L JM for a while, then working towards and passing the old AFFICC, then adding TMI later made me a much better Instructor than getting the minum jump, etc and getting all the rating in 2 weeks. Of course most DZO's (and therefore USPA) care only about quanity, not quality[:/]

How can cookie cutter courses be good for the sport?

Derek

I would have to agree that cookie cutter courses aren't good for the sport. However, there are a couple of people in the states that offer accelerated courses to qualified people. While this might not be good for Canuk, it can be helpful to others. I got my tandem rating from an individual that specializes in one on one courses. I already had held a S/L I rating so I just needed the add-on. In two days I had a strong tandem rating and had done my phase two jumps with an examiner also. While these courses may not be for everyone, I can honestly say that when I returned to my home DZ I was comfortable with the fact that I had enough skill to survive and learn how to be a competent TI. Getting the rating just allows you to get paid while unsuspecting studens teach you just what you don't know. I also felt that by doing my phase two jumps with an examiner I got five additional training jumps and not a passive guinea pig on the front just to get these jumps done. For someone that already has a rating this could be a good option. Be prepared to focus on the course. as you won't be allowed any time to goof off. The gentleman that trained me also offers to set up coaches courses for people and thinks that he can turn out a competent beginning Instructor in about fifteen days if they are motivated and heads up.
After saying all that, on a personal note I would have to add that when I started working with my new rating my biggest fear was to let my examiner down. He was a taskmaster and always fair but when he signed me off I felt like I had to live up to his example of how to be a TI. The pressure is lessening as I have developed some of my own habits but whenever something doesn't go quite right I always hear him in the back of my head telling me that I could've done better.

How can cookie cutter courses be good for the sport?

Its not the courses...The courses just allow you to do the job. If a person prepares like they should, and they go back with the idea in their heads that they now have a license to learn.

If the Evaluators are doing the job. Then they will be fine and and a cookie course will be OK.

Bram is holding this course....I think anyone that gets a rating from Bram....Really earned it.

So as long as the standards are met, and the newly minted "I" does not get a big head....

Its fine.

If the standars are not met, and the "I" gets a big head....It does not matter how fast they got the ratings.

I disagree that going from no ratings to S/L I, TMI and AFFI in 2 weeks is going to make a good Instructor.

Derek

You must be a real natural-born-skydive-talent to go from no rating to all ratings in 2 weeks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

How long does it take to get the AFF rating? The course I attended was less than a week. That leaves an entire week for the tandem.

Much of the the static line training can be incorprated with the other training.

I'm not big on cram courses, but 2 ratings in 2 weeks time for a prepared candidate, seems reasonable.

The only drawback I see is not using one of the ratings right away.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto