fenceline

Static Line Instruction

I'm looking for any reference material on static line instruction, specifically with exits from Cessna 182's and the like. Don't see a lot of it up here in Canada, but maybe you guys down south could point me in the right direction. Have IAD training already.

Jay

Do you do hanging exits with your IAD? If so, then there isn't really any difference in the program. I get most of the way out on the step with SL students when I JM from a C-182. Commands I use are:

-sit in the door
-climb all the way out and hang
-go

I have my left foot out on the step and hold on to the strut with my left hand while controlling the SL with my right hand.

Chuck

What do you want to know? Contact Claire Chow at Skydive Toronto. They're contact numbers are in CANPARA.... Do about 1000 first jump s/l a year, and tandems, too.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Do you do hanging exits with your IAD? If so, then there isn't really any difference in the program. I get most of the way out on the step with SL students when I JM from a C-182. Commands I use are:

-sit in the door
-go

I have my left foot out on the step and hold on to the strut with my left hand while controlling the SL with my right hand.

Do you sit in the front of the door or back of the door? We J/M from the back of the door, so I don't get my legs outside at all, to keep them from being underneath the static line. It also lets me use two hands on the static line, left hand with the bytes and right hand controlling the line and the student. We tried hanging exits for a while, but the wind drag on the static line was causing premature deployments. We had to go back to poised exits.

Back in the olden days when I was an instructor and most students were S/L, one of the more important things that was emphasized was that if I was in the back of the door (which is how we did it), I should always keep the S/L in my left hand, because that way if for some reason something got caught, it wouldn't bend my elbow backwards and break my arm.

I never had a problem with controlling either a student or an S/L.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Most Canadian JMs kneel with their backs to the instrument panel, then climb out with their IAD or S/L students.
If they keep a hand on the S/L, that halves the chance of S/L dump.
If they double or triple wrap the last rubber band(before the pin), that should eliminate S/L dump. I dropped hundreds of S/L students and never saw S/L dump with poised or hanging exits.

-sit in the door
-go

I like Chuck's method. Getting out there with them lets you maintain an active role, versus staying inside the plane being more passive. If you're already doing IAD, I imagine getting out there with them is what you're used to anyhow.

Read up on the differences between direct-bag and pilot-chute assist. Outside of the different possible malfunctions, S/L is essentially the same as IAD.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Back in the olden days when I was an instructor and most students were S/L, one of the more important things that was emphasized was that if I was in the back of the door (which is how we did it), I should always keep the S/L in my left hand, because that way if for some reason something got caught, it wouldn't bend my elbow backwards and break my arm.

Or you can keep it in right hand, but put your right shoulder and arm outside the door and keep your right hand facing the ground as you hold it. this way if you ever had a student in tow, the static line falls out of your hand and it can't break your elbow.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Same commands and body position as Chuck.
Triple rubber band stows on the last two (left side of the pack tray).

By moving my body halfway out between the door and the hanging student, I block a majority of the wind on the S/L and by having my hand within a foot of the last rubber band stow feel as though I'm minimizing the amount of wind drag on the S/L for pilot chute assist, reducing the opportunity for a bag dump.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

We tried hanging exits for a while, but the wind drag on the static line was causing premature deployments. We had to go back to poised exits.

have your riggers add two small loops to the rig (ours are along the top edge of the left flap as I remember, but dont quote me on that) near where your static line comes out from under the top flap. put a rubber band on each loop and put a single bight in your static line on each rubber band. That helps maintain the integrity of the static line, and prevents premature openings due to wind force on your static line.

its works really well. the only premature openings I know of have been due to stupidity... like not making the rubber bands tight enough on the bights, snagging the static line on climbout, etc.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

put a rubber band on each loop and put a single bight in your static line on each rubber band. That helps maintain the integrity of the static line, and prevents premature openings due to wind force on your static line.

In addition wrap that rubber band as many times around that bite of static line as you can.... like 4-5 times.

No more prematures.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"