freeflir29

Low Pull!!!!

cypres fire from pullin @ 1500 or less........... man that aint good.............. the cypres should not fire at that altitude............ was this a student cypres?
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

"the cypres should not fire at that altitude"
Nope Expert......it fired around the proper altitude (it is a Cypres after all) His canopy was still sniveling when he passed 750' So, in retrospect he may have been less than 1500.....:(
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Waylower than 1500ft I would say........... if it was dumping at 1500ft then some people need to wind their necks in with their dump altitutde - coz that is phuqking dangerous - Skreamer!!!............ and yeah I know pot kettle black etc - but I have learned and managed to learn without being dead........
he's a very lucky boy.................
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

Come do some hop n pops in the UK, you'll go lower than '2 200. (of course it'll be because you got out of the plane at '2 000 but thats a different story). ;)
Will
PS Mike I know I screwed up last weekend and have done a lot of thinking about why I went low - basically I fucked up and I don't want it to happen again. Thats the second time its happened and thats two times too many.

What most folks don't know is that the Cypres is actually set to fire at 1,000' AGL. Surprise!!! What happens is that when you are belly to earth you have a burble on your back. This creates an error between where you are over the ground and what the unit thinks you are over the ground. So, if you pull low and have a long, snivelly opening and pass through 1,000' AGL above 78 mph you run the risk of popping your Cypres. It is not a misfire. It fires right where it is set to go off.
Keep this in mind when buying really snivelly canopies or getting sucked down on a low break off. It's a tool that has its' limitations. And it's a very good tool in my opinion. I am very Pro-Cypres. But people need to be aware of what it's doing.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com

We had a cypress fire this weekend. But its not what you are thinking. He was riding the plane down and did not turn off the cypress. Luckily he was sitting in the copilot seat so the pilotchute could not go anywhere. just remember if you have an aad and you don't get out at altitude turn that thing off.
Don

Didn't that happen at one of the Texas DZs (I know which one, aint gonna say just to keep things happy, ya know) because the pilot/DZO was pissed off about someone/something on the load and did a hard dive. Something like 8 cypress fires on the Otter load...
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

"What most folks don't know is that the Cypres is actually set to fire at 1,000' AGL. Surprise!!!"
I dont agree - I have been in freefall sub-1000 and it did not fire - mine fired at line stretch after dumping at approx 700ft........... so your 1000ft theory was not proved there.
I have gone through 1000ft on deployment several times with cypres and its never fired..........
I agree there is a risk....people have had them fire at around 900ft ........ but its not a definate.....remember its a machine with tolerances...... its a gamble people should not play with.......... it aint worth it!!
bsbd

"PS Mike I know I screwed up last weekend and have done a lot of thinking about why I went low - basically I fucked up and I don't want it to happen again. Thats the second time its happened and thats two times too many"
and then its a downward slope - you do it a few times get complacent - even get to like it......... groundrush is a lovely experience - but you start to loose the rush from 1800 you go lower - you end up only getting groundrush from 1000 - and you feel safe in doing it.................. dont get comfortable doing it Will - it should make you uncomfortable - i hope it does - I dont want to see people in bad situations - keep the odds on your side - and if death does not scare you then remember that you could get grounded for life (as I probably will next time) - and whats worse than death ? a life without skydiving!! - take it easy bro.............. be safe.......
bsbd

yes at terminal ................. what was I doing - I was being a phuqking stupid arsed (unt.................... I used to be very stupid in my skydiving.......................
bsbd

groundrush is a lovely experience - but you start to loose the rush from 1800 you go lower

Hell, I didn't like it. :) I had about an month brake of jumping, and then on the first jump after that, exit from 9000ft, and I was a bit over 3000ft looked down to the earth, I got freaking scared, I was sure I'm going to hit the ground, checked the alti, but still like an reflex pulled the chute open.
Canopy was open at exactly 3000ft, so I guess it was something like 3400ft when I pulled.
j.

"I got freaking scared, I was sure I'm going to hit the ground, checked the alti, but still like an reflex pulled the chute open."
I had that happen a few months ago. I was doing a solo Free Fly and started getting ground rush. Checked the alti and was around 3700 ft. Looked at the ground again and was still getting ground rush. I pulled......I was under canopy at 3 or 3.1K. Don't know what was up with that but I figured it's better than going low because of a malfunctuioning alti......*shrug*
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

I dont agree - I have been in freefall sub-1000 and it did not fire - mine fired at line stretch after dumping at approx 700ft........... so your 1000ft theory was not proved there.

Were you face to earth? Then that's what I'm talking about. Your burble kept it from firing. It thought it was higher than than it really was. That's the known error I'm refering to.
You say you've gone through 1,000 feet during deployment several times with the Cypres on? Yikes!
You say it fired at line stretch after dumping at 700 feet? You have other issues. Good luck.
Chris Schindler
D-19012
ATP/CFII
www.DiverDriver.com