SpeedRacer

canopy control lessons?

I took AFF before they switched to the more comprehensive training program they have now. but I haven't done a lot of jumps (only 62, I took a lot of time off)
My question is, where can I go to get really good & thorough lessons in canopy control? I don't want to do CRW, but I just want to get a more thorough understanding of canopy control, accuracy, flat turns, front riser landings, etc..
I saw the video Fly like a Pro but it didn't tell me much I didn't already know.
I'm thinking more along the lines of formal lessons, as opposed to haphazardly picking up verbal tips from people after the beer light goes on.
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

There's an excellent canopy coaching school available at Perris, and I believe there is also one offered at one of the dz's in Florida (don't know which one but I'm sure one of the FL jumpers here do) and possibly at Eloy?
TI'm planning to do the course at Perris in the near future since I know that even though I'm over 800 jumps, I don't know nearly enough about how to fly a canopy.
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

Sebastian in FL has canopy control courses every now and again. Check their calendar for dates:
http://www.skydiveseb.com/cgi-local/calendar1/calendar.pl?dept=sse
Think they just had a standard canopy camp in Jan, Crew camp is up next. Might need to email them for when their next future canopy camp is as I don't see it on the calender.

There's an excellent canopy coaching school available at Perris, and I believe there is also one offered at one of the dz's in Florida (don't know which one but I'm sure one of the FL jumpers here do) and possibly at Eloy?

Deland has one.....you can do as few or as many jumps as you like..
Mike

Skydive U definitely has a good program from what I've heard. Scott Miller, from PD, also offers an excellent program in Deland. I took a few of his classes, and he's very good at getting his point across in layman's terms. For $25 a jump, you get a lesson, then you jump at 5,000', he videos you, and then you have a debriefing and onto another lesson. And, he teaches all levels, whether it be someone just starting out, or someone trying to learn to swoop better. It's a bargain, in my opinion.
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

Thanks, everyone! I live in Maryland, so the closest Skydive U place would be Crosskeys. Hopefully they do a canopy control class as well.

You'd like to think that they would, but as of last year there was no such program. Maybe it went as far as "there's the pattern, fly it. there's the ground, flare." - I know because I asked. It's too bad really, I'd love to get some formal canopy instruction but don't currently have the budget to support a trip out of state, maybe if enough people ask for it this year something can happen.
-
Jim

just a side note :skydive U in Eloy has incorporated a canopy control course. Jason Peters is one of the coaches.
as far as xkeys goes:
Their working on it jim. Rumor has it we might have some formal canopy control program in place this season coming up. Dont swear by it, just rumors floating around that some folks might be coming in to help us out..
in any case, Talk to heath. He's one of the best out there..
My little corner of the web.

Talking to Kruse and Heath is certainly a viable option, but it amazes me that a DZ as large as CK doesn't have any sort of formal canopy training. Considering the wealth of talent, Kruse, Heath, Spotty, Doug, etc...I'm just surprised that a formalized program doesn't exist yet.

Start with Skydive U's Basic Canopy Flight 101 textbook, then BCF 150.
The Australian Parachute Federation published an excellent 16 page pamphlet on flying high performance canopies. You can download it from the APF website.
Intro to Blade
Blade Running -----> Comp
/
/
APF
HPC
/
/
First Skydive U Bumping ----->2Stack 4 Stack
Jump -------->BCF 101 -------> End Cells
Course \
\
\ EJR
\ /
Sport -------------> Competition
Accuracy Accuracy
l
BASE
Rob Warner

Janice and I had asked Kruse about maybe putting together a weekend camp or something like that at least. He didn't seem interested and suggested videos. I'm definitely interested in that kind of thing. If they don't end up offering anything this spring I'll probably take a trip out to Perris when my new gear comes in.
Maybe we can try to put together a discounted DZ.com group canopy flight camp at Perris if enough people want to go???
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin