jclalor

Orgin of BSBD

And I'm sure you must feel very special and elite with that knowledge .;)

Doubt it. More like the lovable asshole that we all know him to be.

I have been at work starting on my second shift, Had a friend see BSBD in Parachutist and ask me what it meant, I told him, and then he ask where something like that would come from. I did the Google search and still could not find where it came from. I then tell my friend that i'll go to DZ.com and find out in a few minutes. I tell my friend that jumpers are"good people" .... well may be not so much

It just seems I ask a respectful question on a rather serious subject. and this guy wants to treat me like a punk, in front of one of my .
friends. For a few reasons, jumping is getting less and less fun. Weather it's dealing with the couple of assholes at the DZ or the ones here, I find less and less compelling reasons to continue jumping.

blue skies and don't worry, I wont be back to defile their sacred little cyber street corner.

Sean, I have always had great respect for you, you have always treated me with respect, even though we have never met.

I have been at work starting on my second shift, Had a friend see BSBD in Parachutist and ask me what it meant, I told him, and then he ask where something like that would come from. I did the Google search and still could not find where it came from. I then tell my friend that i'll go to DZ.com and find out in a few minutes. I tell my friend that jumpers are"good people" .... well may be not so much

It just seems I ask a respectful question on a rather serious subject. and this guy wants to treat me like a punk, in front of one of my .
friends. For a few reasons, jumping is getting less and less fun. Weather it's dealing with the couple of assholes at the DZ or the ones here, I find less and less compelling reasons to continue jumping.

blue skies and don't worry, I wont be back to defile their sacred little cyber street corner.

Twardo you big bully!. See what you've gone and done?. You've upset him.

Tsk tsk tsk.......

Give yourself an uppercut!.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Was just wondering if anyone knew the orgin?

Hi JC,
Well ya' wanna know?? Yer in the right place. Some time ago Reginald also asked about BSBD and here in the hist & trivia patworks replied to him on June 24, 2010. Pat knows!! Yup, BSBD the yin and yang of Skydiving. Hope this helps you out JC.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

this guy wants to treat me like a punk, in front of one of my friends. For a few reasons, jumping is getting less and less fun. Weather it's dealing with the couple of assholes at the DZ or the ones here...

Nope.

It looks like your current understanding of things is just as fucked up now as it was three years ago.

The OP of a thread three years ago asked?

ok this may be dumb but here it goes

i know what the blue sky part means but whats up with the black death part. does it mean one thing or diff things to diff people

Your response:

It's something that younger skydivers say to show how cool they are, and that they don't fear the possibility of death in the sport.

They usually quit uttering this phrase the first time they lose a friend in the sport, because then it no longer feels cool anymore.

Then someone who obviously knew what the fuck they were talking about added this:

Mike Michigan (facebook 9/12/11) -- As much as I like to read Pats ramblings about the way it was I must add to the understanding of where Black Death originated. It found it's roots in the Desert sands of a place called the Gulch. Many folks from all those states he listed... ventured thru or knew somebody who ventured thru the Gulch at one time or another. It was a time of round stars. Diving and swooping was the way. Gips on wrists was the only way. That was until a wayward stranger with "grippers" on his legs found his way out of the desert and into the line up and yelled: BLUESKY BLACK DEATH!!!. Our innocents was gone. Stories of a bony arm holding a ripcord and teams walking around with one red eye started to filter in. A traveler by the name of Captain Smooth sat me down and told me of sport death. It wasn't as Black as one would have thought just by hearing the phrase. Folks had a belief that skydiving was safe and when someone with more than average ability bounced it shook that belief to the core. So phrases like "You're a dead man til you pull that ripcord" started to bring a new vision to the true reality at hand. Gear was changing at a very rapid pace and some, if not most, of the changes were tested literally on the fly. When someone saw something dangerous it was called to attention but saying" Hey man that's sport death" It was a safety thing. You could die if you keep going in that direction. So where did Blue sky Black death come from? When the radial engined aircraft you happened to be jumping out of wheeled around and lined up on the center-line of the runway and the smoke and dust started to billow up behind the tail. The pilot would shout over his shoulder while looking down the runway at the blue sky he was about to try and drag this aircraft up into: BLUE SKY! and all the folks in the back would yell: BLACK DEATH!!! almost as an affirmation of what could be. Mike Michigan

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3298475;search_string=bsbd%20origin;#3298475

this guy wants to treat me like a punk, in front of one of my friends. For a few reasons, jumping is getting less and less fun. Weather it's dealing with the couple of assholes at the DZ or the ones here...

Nope.

It looks like your current understanding of things is just as fucked up now as it was three years ago.

i know what the blue sky part means but whats up with the black death part. does it mean one thing or diff things to diff people

Your response:

It's something that younger skydivers say to show how cool they are, and that they don't fear the possibility of death in the sport.

They usually quit uttering this phrase the first time they lose a friend in the sport, because then it no longer feels cool anymore.

Then someone who obviously knew what the fuck they were talking about added this:

Mike Michigan (facebook 9/12/11) -- As much as I like to read Pats ramblings about the way it was I must add to the understanding of where Black Death originated. It found it's roots in the Desert sands of a place called the Gulch. Many folks from all those states he listed... ventured thru or knew somebody who ventured thru the Gulch at one time or another. It was a time of round stars. Diving and swooping was the way. Gips on wrists was the only way. That was until a wayward stranger with "grippers" on his legs found his way out of the desert and into the line up and yelled: BLUESKY BLACK DEATH!!!. Our innocents was gone. Stories of a bony arm holding a ripcord and teams walking around with one red eye started to filter in. A traveler by the name of Captain Smooth sat me down and told me of sport death. It wasn't as Black as one would have thought just by hearing the phrase. Folks had a belief that skydiving was safe and when someone with more than average ability bounced it shook that belief to the core. So phrases like "You're a dead man til you pull that ripcord" started to bring a new vision to the true reality at hand. Gear was changing at a very rapid pace and some, if not most, of the changes were tested literally on the fly. When someone saw something dangerous it was called to attention but saying" Hey man that's sport death" It was a safety thing. You could die if you keep going in that direction. So where did Blue sky Black death come from? When the radial engined aircraft you happened to be jumping out of wheeled around and lined up on the center-line of the runway and the smoke and dust started to billow up behind the tail. The pilot would shout over his shoulder while looking down the runway at the blue sky he was about to try and drag this aircraft up into: BLUE SKY! and all the folks in the back would yell: BLACK DEATH!!! almost as an affirmation of what could be. Mike Michigan

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3298475;search_string=bsbd%20origin;#3298475

------------------------------------------------------------

so instead of throwing a hissy fit......why didnt you do this search in the first place.
Youre right......the sport really has changed.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Nope.

Your response:

------------------------------------------------------------

so instead of throwing a hissy fit......why didnt you do this search in the first place.
Youre right......the sport really has changed.

Sometimes I like to be reminded of the nature of some of my fellow jumpers.

Sometimes I like to be reminded of the nature of some of my fellow jumpers.

You really don't wanna go there...;)

With one single, three letter word that in reality ANSWERED the question you asked...:ph34r:

YOU, instead of taking it in the humorous way that it was meant, took it that I was treating you like a 'punk' and trying to embarrass you...etc.

I don't know who you are, anything about you...and I surely wasn't intending to ruin your day.

IF you knew ME or anything at all about me, you would have laughed and said 'that crazy ole fart is at it again'...:$

But it seems YOUR 'nature' is to feel slighted and go on the attack...though not my intent, you 'perceived' that I was out to get ya. :S

If you feel like I was trying to make you look like a 'punk', I sincerely apologise, that's really not my 'nature'... however, when you immediately jump to that conclusion, not only about ME but 'some' of your 'fellow' skydivers...it does say a bit about YOUR nature.

If you kinda feel like a 'punk', maybe it's not the outside feedback your getting, could be you know something about yourself a bunch of strangers don't?

Lighten Up Francis! B| It's the Internet, don't let ONE WORD on a page, ruin your outlook, opinion or your day!

If we ever meet, 1st beer is on me...you'll LIKE me in person, I know I do! :ph34r:

Blue Skies Black Death! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

And I'm sure you must feel very special and elite with that knowledge .;)

Doubt it. More like the lovable asshole that we all know him to be.

Sean, I have always had great respect for you, you have always treated me with respect, even though we have never met.

Your panties are entirely too knotted. If someone pulling your leg a little is enough to make you want to quit skydiving then pack it up.

BSBD is a summation of the bond between us all. It's a defining of the internal ying and yang of what we do. It's a communication of the spirituality of this crazy thing we are a part of....

It's something you "grok" more than something explained.....

Unwind a bit and make a friend....:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Nope.

"ok this may be dumb but here it goes..."

Oh, my understanding was just fine, and it had nothing to do with "BSBD" subject of your reply. My "Nope" was in response to your calling Airtwardo an asshole. Anyone who knows Airtwardo knows that he is definitely NOT an asshole. He's actually quite friendly, and a fountain of skydiving knowledge and wisdom. So my "nope" was to contradict your assertion about Airtwardo's character. You were wrong, and you jumped to that incorrect conclusion based upon only a single word from him! Simply amazing. And in doing so, you've revealed quite a bit about your own personal character, and not in a good way. Too bad for you.

Butch up, buckwheat. Try searching for your answers. Don't be so quick to judge other people.

Nope.

"ok this may be dumb but here it goes..."

Oh, my understanding was just fine, and it had nothing to do with "BSBD" subject of your reply. My "Nope" was in response to your calling Airtwardo an asshole. Anyone who knows Airtwardo knows that he is definitely NOT an asshole. He's actually quite friendly, and a fountain of skydiving knowledge. So my "nope" was to contradict your assertion about Airtwardo's character. You were wrong, and you jumped to that incorrect conclusion based upon only a single word from him! Simply amazing. And in doing so, you've revealed quite a bit about your own personal character, and not in a good way. Too bad for you.

Butch up, buckwheat. Try searching for your answers. Don't be so quick to judge other people.

Your absolutely correct, I have no excuse for my actions and I apologize for my immature reaction to your post.

Chris

I had a very fucked up last couple of days, but that is still no excuse for my reaction to you and everyone else.

I sincerely apologize.

Chris

That's very big of you.... happy to have you in this big dysfunctional family of ours....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

OK back to the top again: BSBD
I have some Norman Kent sunglasses with the full wording on the lens, which can be read by the person looking at the wearer. They even have a skull and crossbones in the center of the wording..They are precious and treasured, but...I will sell them for a million billion trillion dollars. Free shipping. Oh wait, you can't advertise stuff for sale here.