arlo102283

minimum age to jump

I want to take one of my daughters who is 16 and a nephew who is 15 skydiving while in CA on vacation in a couple of weeks. In contacting most places I'm told the law requires them to be 18. I want to jump and this would be the first time for all of us. Any ideas on places where the age isn't an issue?

When you go to jump you have to sign a waiver saying that the dropzone and it's employees aren't responsible for anything that might happen to you, and surrendering your right to sue, among other things. In most cases an adult can't legally sign away the rights of a minor and a minor can't sign a contract on their own, so you are pretty much out of luck. That isn't saying that it isn't possible, it has been done before, but most places won't do it for fear of litigation or because their insurance won't cover an underage jumper.
--
Brian
Homepage
AIM: suprmath

There are a couple of dz's in California where you "might" be able to get them up on an AFF jump, but as far as I know the minimum age for tandems throughout the US is 18. Call around and ask to be sure.
I know for sure they would not be able to jump at Perris Valley, Elsinore, Skydive Santa Barbara and Skydive Monterey Bay... I checked all of those when my son was younger. He waited til he turned 18...
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

There is no age limit for tandems in the FAR's, but the equipment manufacturers can and did put an age limit on students using their gear. Ask the TI in California who recently got his rating suspended for taking an underage person on a tandem...
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

There are plenty of places that will let you jump at 16, so look around. I seriously doubt you are going to get any help with that 15 year old though; except now there are several places that will do tandems so long as the parent signs the waiver. I know several on the east coast, but none for sure in CA.
My webpage HERE

Most DZs will not let anyone under 18 jump because of a long and bloody series of legal preceidents.
Back when static-lines were fashionable. Too many 16 year olds did too many stupid things (ie. landing in trees) and suffered too many injuries (ie. paralysis) and too many juries decided in favor of stupid plaintifs.
Granted, the risk of stupidity is less on tandem, but the legal precedent has been set.
Since tandem manufacturers want nothing to do with those multi-million dollar legal decisions, they have - wisely - chosen to ban under-age students.

Think manufactures put a min age of 18 on Tandems.
The USPA has 18 as the min age for AFF and 16 for SL.
If I remember right.
Non-USPA DZs don't have the follow that though. I think the "not able to sign a waiver for someone under 18" is specific to some states and not a universal thing.