howardwhite

Jump Suit

Love that Right outboard pull. madjohn

I had a right outboard pull for a few hundred. Did quite a few right-INBOARD jumps on borrowed gear, too. Then I took a long layoff. Then I came back. Re-trained on modern gear. So guess who almost did a Lutz on his first recurrency jump? :)

Love that Right outboard pull. madjohn

I had a right outboard pull for a few hundred. Did quite a few right-INBOARD jumps on borrowed gear, too. Then I took a long layoff. Then I came back. Re-trained on modern gear. So guess who almost did a Lutz on his first recurrency jump? :)

I have a BUNCH of old rigs that I have jumped.... and I ALWAYS sit there and practice ALL thoswe "outdated" EP's but proper for the gear being worn as well as just practice pulling the right handle in the right place before I go jump. :):)

I have YET to try the wrong deployment on the gear I am currently wearing:)

I can still do the old "toss away ripcord, bend at waist, flip capewells, thumbs in rings, look at reserve handle - pop! - cover capewells, pull, punch!" - in 2 seconds flat.

Time was, I used to put myself to sleep at night mentally rehearsing it. I sometimes consciously try not to do that any more, because I don't want reinforce the wrong muscle memory.

I can still do the old "toss away ripcord, bend at waist, flip capewells, thumbs in rings, look at reserve handle - pop! - cover capewells, pull, punch!" - in 2 seconds flat.

I have NEVER tossed a handle yet.... on a regular jump or on any of my 8 cutaways.

Hey I am frugal:ph34r::ph34r:

I have NEVER tossed a handle yet.... on a regular jump or on any of my 8 cutaways.

Well, as you'll recall, that was the EP when jumping a belly-wart, to avoid the reserve snagging on the main ripcord handle when the cable was still in the housing. Once we switched over to them new-fangled piggy-back death traps (Where's my Jeezus string??), that was no longer needed.

I knew a guy named George McCormick that would snatch his kicker plate as it went by. How's that for frugal.

I got mine back on my first cutaway... it was in the main... what can I say.... I was in a hurry to get some rip stop nylon over my head fast...:)
#2 in the friggin Everglades

#3 somehwhere in Biscayne Bay

but I did keep all my handles.:ph34r:

I use to jump a Piglet with a big ole monster steel main ripcord.

I'd jam it in my mouth to free up both hands for the capewells...that is until I had a hard opening on a 23' Tri-Con and spent the reserve ride spitting teeth out like Chiclets!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I use to jump a Piglet with a big ole monster steel main ripcord.

I'd jam it in my mouth to free up both hands for the capewells...that is until I had a hard opening on a 23' Tri-Con and spent the reserve ride spitting teeth out like Chiclets!

Well that was dumb now wasn't it:ph34r::ph34r:

I had a bad habit ... I know. I know .... of sliding my wrist into the big ole D as soon as I pulled and cleared it from the housing... so in 5 chops with capewells and with a few hundred jumps on rigs with those ... I never lost a main or reserve handle... D rings ... main and reserve and the funka-delic blast handle on two chops:ph34r::ph34r:

;) i too had blast handle triggered reserve deployments,,,,,,twice

Both of them were on a piggyback rig. without a "main ripcord, with handle cable and pins..."

The main was a hand deploy, soft padded handle. Square, throw out pilot chute.:o

First one,,, was a total on the main, [:/]# 1 jump on the rig, the belly band was too loose,, ( cause i listened to one of the DZ "experts" who said,,
"you don't wanna tighten that down TOO much ")... i grabbed the handle AND the mouth of the pouch all at once, and while pulling.... MOSTLY Nothing !!!:o was happening.. I had exited at 3 Five,, and was booking along pretty good,, when i went to Plan B..

second was a P C I T due to a twisted belly band...:S:|:S same rig... YIKES!!!

That Blast handle Now serves as a Pull chain on a ceiling light in my basement..!!!
I used a bench grinder to shape the end of the pin,, in such a way that i could clip it onto the little attachment point that normally holds the tiny steel ball of a pull chain...;) I smile,, every time i see it.....
as for jump suits....
the standard was "Sears" , until of course the "DynaSoar" and "Brand X" came around...
jmy

>>the standard was "Sears"
Yes, but you had to slice off the hammer loop for safety! LOL.

Here's the first custom jumpsuit I bought for $125 in 1975 which was a lot of coin in those days.

It's looks kind of embarrassing now, but I'm in the black and white "stars" 3rd from the left . . .

NickD :)

Great Photo...

actually pretty cool jumpsuits for the time.
I bet they even had VELCRO..... on them!!! ( cuffs and neck closure )
I'm gonna try to guess the main containers, left to right...
Stylemaster, Strato Star, Mini System, B4..... Yes?? No ???

can't tell what harness the stratostar container is on, could be off a pioneer 3 pin..
But the REAL star of the show!!!?????

That fine aircraft... that i HOPE you had a chance to jump out of,,,,,, many times..
:oB|;)
where??? and when???:)
jt