airtwardo

Old pics

Goin' through some old pics, scanning and saving, came across these... two 'Old Timers'.

~Joe & Me, back in the day.

~'Bert' D-288 with his Midget Mustang he'd fly out to the DZ, notice the bellyband & plastice handle of the old Wonderhog.

~ Group shot from 20 something years ago, Ted Strong on the far left.

~Myrt & Smitty

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

been a long time since I thought of Joe Smith

Me too. He was one of my favorite people; I always searched for Joe at Herd Boogies or at meets... WAY back when people jumped out of airplanes with the purpose of putting their foot on a disc at the center of a pit full of pebbles. I can't remember Joe doing accuracy, tho, actually now that I think of it.

I can't pull the other guys name from my memory. I know him but can't put a name with his face. Who is that?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

The other guy is Shorty!

~Here is Joe & his airplane.

~Oshkosh 92 demo with The California Aerial Circus - The Liberty Parachute Team - The Chuting Stars. B|

~Jim Delap, the Roundman...D-two hundred something.

~Yours truly 33 1/2 years ago...happy to be DOWN! :ph34r:

I last saw Joe Smith when I jumped with him on the manufactures load at the 1980 Nationals, Richmond, IN.

Nice shoes Jim.

Sparky

Hi sparky

Those "nice shoes" were real cool due to making made jim look 2" taller. Kind of like frankenstein needing to look taller.

Those nice shoes also had the side benifit of protecting jims delicate ankles on landing. I think the secrete to their success was the special shoe laces and the hinged upper part.

Sell it and they will buy:)

I did:|

Since we started on the bottom of Jims outfit any comments on the top:P
One Jump Wonder

Cool pictures! A couple of old friends included I think; I recognize Ted of course, looks like Shorty, Doug Gipe and Larry Bartlett also.

I got to meet and party with Joe Smith a couple of times; truly a pioneer spirit in skydiving.

pms

Sell it and they will buy

I did

Since we started on the bottom of Jims outfit any comments on the top

You mean the lack of a helmet or the lack of a haircut!!!

I bought them to. :P

Sparky

Hi Sparky

The 550 laces in the boots was typical. The origional "special laces never seemed to last, when they wore out I don't think I ever remember anyone replacing them with another "special" set.

The airfilled soles were IMO another gimmick. The addiss sneaks we replaced them with did just fine.

Another down side of the boots was if we had to take someone to the hospital was the boots were going to be a giveaway that the person was a injured jumper.

Lesson learned takes boots off before car gets to hospital. Ambulance for a broken leg/ankle :S

I wonder the year the pic was taken and how old Twardo was, and how many jumps he had. More significant than the hair which was age/year dependent was the SSE AAD that he was wearing that was scary due to their track record.

Meanwhile we're nit picking the pic (not Mr T angelic) is the length of the risers[:/]. Us little people would have to crime the risers to get to the breaks[:/].

Even with the nit picking of the gear in the pic Jumping back then was a lot of funB|.
One Jump Wonder

Sell it and they will buy

I did

Since we started on the bottom of Jims outfit any comments on the top

You mean the lack of a helmet or the lack of a haircut!!!

I bought them to. :P

Sparky

Hi Sparky

The 550 laces in the boots was typical. The origional "special laces never seemed to last, when they wore out I don't think I ever remember anyone replacing them with another "special" set.

The airfilled soles were IMO another gimmick. The addiss sneaks we replaced them with did just fine.

Another down side of the boots was if we had to take someone to the hospital was the boots were going to be a giveaway that the person was a injured jumper.

Lesson learned takes boots off before car gets to hospital. Ambulance for a broken leg/ankle :S

I wonder the year the pic was taken and how old Twardo was, and how many jumps he had. More significant than the hair which was age/year dependent was the SSE AAD that he was wearing that was scary due to their track record.

Meanwhile we're nit picking the pic (not Mr T angelic) is the length of the risers[:/]. Us little people would have to crime the risers to get to the breaks[:/].

Even with the nit picking of the gear in the pic Jumping back then was a lot of funB|.

Year was '76, and I was 18...it was my 1st freefall and the T-10 didn't HAVE brakes! ;)

Oh yeah...the boots, unlike Sparky's were 'ladder laced' because I was COOOOOL! :ph34r:

I'm an American and I know exactly what the GSG 9 is and what their legacy is for modern CT military units and LE tactical teams. Those also look like "classic" GSG 9 boots.

You can still buy them, but for a modern tactical boot, they are fairly expensive compared to the more advanced offerings from even Adidas now. http://www.botachtactical.com/adgstacboot.html
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I knew it all along . . .

NickD :)

I always wondered if Twardo was D.B. Cooper! I wonder if we can turn him in for the reward....

I always liked my Frenchies. I still have my old ones from back in the 70's. I bought another almost new pair from a second hand store, a while back. I plan to use them for jumping my new, old, para-commander (one of these days).

I got a standup, last time. Not bad for an old fat guy! I couldn't have done it in tennis shoes....

Is that the same Joe Smith that opened a loft in Pennsylvania? In 1981 I was opening an employment agency in Springfield, MA and needed some operating capital. I called Joe to see if he was interested in my Singer 7-33 and he said "$1500, sight unseen". I drove down there the next day and delivered it.

I heard that he subsequently passed away.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!