Beachbum

Lessons learned

Figured a few things out the semi-hard way on my jump this weekend ... I did a 2 way (finally found someone light enough to jump with me!!!) ... and we totally lost altitude awareness ... was jumping out of a 206 for the first time, so made a mental note that I didn't start with as much altitude, but promptly forgot that ... I exited, then she dove after me ... and it took quite a while for her to catch up with me (probably 3500 - 4000 feet) ... anyway ...
These are the things I believe I did wrong ... comments welcome ...
1) Lower altitude than I'm used to in the 206, and didn't make a strong enough mental note (I DID think about it) to keep track
2) Don't get so engrossed in the jump ... since I've been doing so many solos I was thrilled to actually be in the air WITH someone, and got carried away
3) don't rely on my "internal clock" so much ... didn't really notice it, but think I've been starting to do that ... now that I think back, haven't been checking altitude as much in early part of jumps
4) Tho I didn't think about it, I believe I subconsciously relied on a more experienced jumper to keep track
We had planned to break at around 5 ... noticed altitude JUST above 4 ... and as a result, I was open lower than I
should be after tracking off/wave off, etc. ...
one other question ... I was landing uphill (another beer buy) ... and very quickly realized that the method of selecting the flare point (keep eyes ahead, not down) was going to cause me to flare high ... and I over compensated and flared late ... how do you do make the judgement when landing uphill?
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

just a thought, and its been mentioned before. spend the money and buy an pro dytter or something of that nature. You should not totally rely on one but if you screw up and loose altitude awareness it may just save your ass. Some of the best $$ Ive spent.

... ahem ...(look at toes!) ... well ... HAVE a protrack ... but since I'm still at such an early part of my learning curve, am only using it for fall rate right now (in a pocket) ... thought it would be good for me to get accustomed to KEEPING TRACK and not depending on it as an alarm ... lotta good THAT did me ... LOL
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

A pro dytter is an easy investment to justify .... BUY..... it is to be viewed in the same light as a Cypress. It is a back-up tool only (batteries wearout, electronics fail)!! As you become more accustomed to jumping, you will find it easier to "multi-task". Keeping altitude awareness should be one of your primary concerns (as you now know). We have all gone low ..... we just don't make a habbit of it!!
;-))

Yes, you need to keep better track of your altitude. As others have said, audible devices are just a backup. Get used to checking your altitude at least 5 times during each skydive. After a while, you will just be checking out of habit.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

I wear a chest mount alti when I do RW and so do most of the people I jump with. This way the people who are jumping with me can watch out for altitude on me and I can watch out on theirs. It means you don't have to break too much rhythm to check a wrist mount alti while jumping with someone.
Oh and if you've got a protrack, use it at your ear. You can hear the beeps better.
S'later
Tom

Hee HEE! Your post just made me remember some of the lessons I've learned. Like when I first got my first Sabre.....I had jumped a Raven 3 until then.....when I flared too hard and went WAAAAAY up in the air......I learned not to let up on the flare...... I also learned about that same time to pay a little more attention to the wind under canopy. Sometimes the wind sock appears to be pointing the other direction..... oh well..... thanks for the chuckle.....
Peace~
Lindsey
"I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave him and go skydiving!"

Look at the bright side.. Normally you only lose altitude awareness one time..
Luckily you get another chance..
Pay attention goofball!! Get an Audible Alti so you don't make that mistake again..
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!
http://www.aahit.com

Here's a trick to use when setting your audible altimeter. If you normally break off at say 4,000 ft. Set your audible for 3,500ft. This way if you here your audible before breaking off, you know you messed up. BUT if you keep altitude awareness, and here it during your track or deploment, you know you did well. This way you don't rely on it.
-Rap

Using an audible as a reminder can help. However, why set it lower than the altitude you need a reminder - now you are late. I leave mine set for about 5,5-6k for students and tandem. It is just a reminder it is time to check the old altimeter and get going with the bottom end of the dive.
For FF, RW, or other, set it for whatever "reminder" altitude you want to check your altimeter. Then you still have plenty of time to turn, track, wave and dump.......
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

I tend to use my Time Out differently. I set it at 4500....I usually leave a skydive no later than that. That gives me 1500 Ft to turn track and dump at "normal" alti. On Big ways that break at 5,000 if I hear it it's an emergency cause I am low so it puts me in emergency mode. I like to use the warnings as just that. A warning. If I hear it and don't know why I have screwed up.
"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

It's like.....well I've gotten to where I don't really try to remember birthdays and anniversaries any more, because I know I'll get a reminder on my home page.....If the reminder doesn't come, then I miss the event..... Know what I mean?
"I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave him and go skydiving!"

personally I have mine set at 4.5, 2.5, and 1.5. I never change it no matter what kind of jump I'm doing, belly flying when I hear it I know it's almost break off time, FFing I've usually already broke off. 2.5 if I hear that I'm already under a snivling canopy or I better be NOW. 1.5 GET SOMETHING OUT NOW pull the silver whatever do it now.
{knock on wood} have never heard the 1.5

Yep....I leave mine at 4,500 2500 and 1500......it's a time out so I can't change the bottom two but they are fine for me. Haven't heard the 1500 before and plan to never hear it. Listen to the 2500 a lot while my canopy is sniveling. Listened to it once in free fall...took me till 2200 to figure out that I really was at 2500 ft a couple seconds ago. In the saddle by 1700. Lowest I have ever gone....:)"I only have a C license, so I don't know shit..right?"-Clay

I set my Protrack at 4500 (break off), 3000 (time to pull), 2000 (time to start thinking/doing reserve procedures). I guess everyone is different. I just figure at 2000' and under a high speed mal does not leave much time to react to and start to cut and pull. Better safe than sorry.

I always pay attention. Look at that pretty cloud, look at those pretty hills, look at those ugly candy wrappers on the dash of that car ------- Oh Crap!!!!

Just remember, if you set your audible at 4.5, 3, and 1.5 then by the time you hear the alarms and start to react, you're most likely at 4.2, 2.7, and 1.2. Personally, I like to have mine set at an altitude that lets me check shit out, then react. So... 5.2- get ready to break, check everyone out, pick a track line. 3.8- barrell roll, clear air, and pull. 2- start reaching for the handles, get ready to bail.
I know the altitudes look a little odd, but after experimenting, I found those couple of extra seconds are precious. Just my way of doing things.