mjosparky

Old school exit!

Terry,

I always loved Freak Brothers.....
I was in line to get some hang over relief and watched that particular jump :(

Later that afternoon I was in line again and watched a low time jumper (30 jumps?), whose boyfriend talked her into driving across a couple of states to jump there, have problems deploying her main and went in in the corn....
>:(

and then I called home and found out a former student of mine had gone in at Perris that day, too!B|

There were better days....

:)

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Whats the deal with hitting the door?

It's not really a matter of "hitting" the door. What they mean is "missing" the door, which means slamming your body into the edge of the doorway. This usually happens because of all the pushing and pulling in the line during exit...

Years ago at Zhills I hopped on a DC3 going to twelve five for a large formation RW jump. I was practicing style for the Nationals and asked the pilot if he could make a run over the DZ at 6600 feet. He said he would but he wouldn't throttle back. We were actually a little high when we reached the exit point so I decided to have a little fun on my exit. I'm a former gymnast so I stood with my back to the door and did as high a back flip as I could. I then got into my dive and did my style routine.

When the rest of the load got down a few of them came up to me and said I scared the crap out of them. They said my head missed the horizontal stabilizer by inches! It never occurred to me that it would be possible to actually hit the tail on a DC 3 but apparently I came close. Scary when I think back on it.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Years ago at Zhills I hopped on a DC3 going to twelve five for a large formation RW jump. I was practicing style for the Nationals and asked the pilot if he could make a run over the DZ at 6600 feet. He said he would but he wouldn't throttle back. We were actually a little high when we reached the exit point so I decided to have a little fun on my exit. I'm a former gymnast so I stood with my back to the door and did as high a back flip as I could. I then got into my dive and did my style routine.

When the rest of the load got down a few of them came up to me and said I scared the crap out of them. They said my head missed the horizontal stabilizer by inches! It never occurred to me that it would be possible to actually hit the tail on a DC 3 but apparently I came close. Scary when I think back on it.

There was at least one fatality I can remember at Z-hills in the early 1980's when a tall skinny Brazilian did a poised, standing exit, facing the line of flight and hit his head on the leading edge of the horizontal stab.

I remember another incident many years ago where Mike Truffer, editor of Skydiving Magazine, dove out of a DC-3 and brushed his feet on the horizontal stab. I don't believe he was injured. For those of you who don't know him, Mike has a fairly light, slim body.

Hey, let's be careful out there!

B|

I can't believe it; I was on the load and remember your back flip vividly!

You did come pretty close to the horizontal stab, though I don't remember that it was "inches." Seems like it was a foot or two to me. In the tight tuck you had, not much wind resistance compared to a poised exit. Man I love this forum :)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

You did come pretty close to the horizontal stab, though I don't remember that it was "inches." Seems like it was a foot or two to me. In the tight tuck you had, not much wind resistance compared to a poised exit. Man I love this forum :)

With each retelling, the gap diminishes. Next time it will be centimeters! :P

I'm going to repost the photo someone took of me with my back out the door of the DC3. It wasn't the same jump but it was the same plane and you can get a good idea of how close the horizontal stabilizer is.
DZGone.com

Hi pat,

Is that main container some type of homemade item?

I don't recognize it as being one of the mainstream rigs. Especially with only the one elastic. :o

JerryBaumchen

Yep,

I built custom rigs for Florida jumpers back in the seventies. That was a mismatched style rig I put together.

When I opened an employment agency in Springfield, MA in 1981 I needed some startup money and sold my Singer 7-33 harness machine to Joe Smith in Pennsylvania. The Adler that I built the containers with burned along with everything else in my apartment in 1994. I do have an old Singer 31-15 left but it doesn't get much use these days.
DZGone.com

With each retelling, the gap diminishes. Next time it will be centimeters! :P

I'm going to repost the photo someone took of me with my back out the door of the DC3. It wasn't the same jump but it was the same plane and you can get a good idea of how close the horizontal stabilizer is.

Hell Pat, the way your story is going, next time you tell us about it your going to hit it!!!!

;)

Yep. Start counting seconds as soon as the exit happens, hit an Iron Cross out the door, then attack the earth for the number of seconds you counted until exitting. Formation was right there, every time. Oh, and always target the side of the formation, not the formation itself.
We are all engines of karma