10 10
quade

DB Cooper

(edited)
42 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

You should of fixed them years ago...self admitted and complain about others? 

It would have been pointless to 'fix' the book. 

The investigation into KC went on for years afterward. I would have had to issue fifty different editions. It's just a primer on the whole story anyway. That's why I released the file publicly, the 54-page report we sent to the Seattle FBI. We actually discovered more about KC and company after the book was released. It served its purpose. It brought certain witnesses out of the woodwork, which was its real job anyway. 

I do plan on a final edition of the book, but not until the movie is released, assuming they get around to that. If they don't, I will still issue a final edition anyway. But not until then. 

By the way...I don't have a problem with it, but...you sure ask me a LOT of questions and send a lot of comments my way for someone who doesn't want to hear from me and blocked PM's. :D 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

That's no excuse for an author to knowingly allow error's to be in a book for years. this is damage to your credibility. it doesn't matter what you did outside of the book. it's the book with the error's. waiting for a movie is no excuse either. 

So, I can say you rob banks on my forum and leave it there and post somewhere else you didn't? not everyone follows what happens after a book is published. not every person writes a review either. it's wrong anyway you look at it..you willingly allow false information to continue. 

You revise the same edition. you don't have to add anything. you fix what's broken or remove it...

Edited by mrshutter45

(edited)
43 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

By the way...I don't have a problem with it, but...you sure ask me a LOT of questions and send a lot of comments my way for someone who doesn't want to hear from me and blocked PM's.

You send the PM's and not me.....I responded to them. I just got tired of the broken record. you skew off topic even offline. the recent one was about the placard and you went off topic as usual. lets get that straight. you are making it out like I contacted you...it's more like you are the one interested in what I have to say or you wouldn't contact me in the first place  :)

Edited by mrshutter45

25 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

That's no excuse for an author to knowingly allow error's to be in a book for years. this is damage to your credibility. it doesn't matter what you did outside of the book. it's the book with the error's. waiting for a movie is no excuse either. 

So, I can say you rob banks on my forum and leave it there and post somewhere else you didn't? not everyone follows what happens after a book is published. not every person writes a review either. it's wrong anyway you look at it..you willingly allow false information to continue. 

You revise the same edition. you don't have to add anything. you fix what's broken or remove it...

There are plenty of references in the book like this one, for example:

'Can the authors of this book prove that Kenny Christiansen was the legendary skyjacker beyond any possible doubt?
No.
Nevertheless, Into the Blast presents a good circumstantial case to support this theory.'

It's not like we didn't do the occasional disclaimer, you know. There are also references stating that we didn't know everything there was to know regarding KC. This is especially true at the time of the release. If I took your advice to keep 'changing' the book to another edition every time something new popped up on KC between December 2010 and this year, it would cost me $150 for each new ISBN assignment, plus an additional $75 for each upload to Lightning Source. Another $50 for a new listing in the Ingram Advance Catalog. That is patently ridiculous. Plus there would be fifty different versions of the book selling at Amazon and Ingram. Could get confusing. B| I already told you that at the proper time we will issue a final edition. But there no use in doing that yet. As far as 'credibility,' that is not based strictly on a book that came out almost ten years ago. There are the videos, the articles at WordPress, the DB Cooper Info page with the free-to-download report (UNedited), and the entries at Quora Cooper. 

Readers of the book sometimes send me questions using the email address or web address given in the book. I answer them. Then I sometimes send them the report we sent to the Seattle FBI. For now, this works just fine. 

Just now, mrshutter45 said:

more excuses Robert, you claim to want to dump thousands on a party and then whine about a couple hundred. 

Your advice is noted. Book will not be re-issued in a new edition until everything is a wrap. It's not just about the money. 

I think the money for the party is safe. Just because I made an offer doesn't mean people will jump at the opportunity. In fact, I think the chances are close to zero. We will change the book to a final edition at the proper time. Even if I did what you asked right now, I would just have to do it again in a few months. You've waited nine years. A few more months won't kill you. B|

(edited)
4 hours ago, mrshutter45 said:

I don't really care what you do with the book. I'm telling you what is right and wrong...do it in 10 years....makes no difference to me...

Really? You wasted your last ten posts talking about it. 

Can we be more honest about things here? It is well-known by practically everybody that you have a knee-jerk reaction to anything I (or AB staff) do regarding the case. For years you have bragged about how you banned me from your website for 'behavior'. LOL I only posted once or twice there. If you want to talk about a broken record, that one is split right down the center.

Being banned from your place is a lot like being told by the cable company that you will no longer receive a bill for your service. You get used to it...quickly. Your site isn't a bad place, but I wouldn't post there even if I could. 

We will issue a final edition of the book when a certain something happens:  When I get word they have begun shooting on the Cooper film, or if they tell me the movie is not going to be made. End of subject. Finis, fertig, terminer, avsluta, and done. 

In the meantime, if you have specific things you would like to see changed in the book, feel free to suggest them and I will consider your changes when running up the final edition. That's not a joke. One thing I HAVE decided to change is that I will use the real names of the Geestman couple and others...whose names I changed for the book. But after we issued the report on KC to the public, there is no longer a need to do that, since everyone's real names were provided in the report. 

These suggestions on changes should be sent to me by email, not posted here. No one cares about any of that. And then it is easier for me to keep track of your requests. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

On 11/13/2019 at 8:58 PM, RobertMBlevins said:

You cherry-picked from the main body of what I wrote concerning the show. I have heard from a reliable source how the whole program went, and the goals of the production. It wasn't done to get Mucklow to look at suspects. It was done to (hopefully) put her in a position to identify Rackstraw...and ONLY Rackstraw... as Cooper. 

The book scheduled for release, a book ON Rackstraw...a book NAMING him as the hijacker...coming out the very next day after the show premiered...

That should have been a hint the entire show was a farce from start to end. Right around the time the show aired, the FBI were crashing in the doors of LMNO Productions with a warrant to search the premises and seize their financial records. As a result of that scandal, LMNO lost several lucrative TV contracts. 

Yeah...it was a fair, balanced, and professionally-done investigation all the way.  (If you believe THAT, I have some beachfront property in Kansas you might be interested in.)

Billy Jensen didn't think so. And he was part of the team. B| No worries, though. I have no allegiances to anyone in Cooperland. I question everything, especially if there is a legit reason to do so. 

EDIT: Money bag brought on board the plane for Cooper:  All I know is what Rataczak said. He described it as white, canvas or heavy cloth type, said there were handles on it. I dunno. Like everyone else who posts here...I wasn't there either. And I have no idea what he meant by 'hapsack'. When I reviewed Google Images using the terms 'canvas, white, vintage, and bank bag,' it came up with this picture. Description said it was an old one from Wells Fargo. 

vintageBankBag.jpg

Not that it matters, but I have always had one thought about the Cooper case. It is too bad that one of the stews, especially Alice Hancock, didn't think to inquire among the First Class passengers if any of them had a snapshot camera in their carry-on. If so, she could have parted the curtain less than an inch and maybe got a quick shot of Cooper at some point, especially if he stood up to use the bathroom. If this had been done, we probably wouldn't even be discussing the case now. But no one thought of it. 

Ok, this is confusing to me.  Did we watch the same broadcast?

The History Channel DB Cooper doc was two separate tracks.  One was Tom Colbert’s research on Rackstraw.  The second separate track was Jepsen and Fuentes researching the story.  At the end, Colbert believed it was Rackstraw, Colbert and Jepsen did not.  The documentary was not a vehicle to push Rackstraw as a candidate.

I met Jepsen and Fuentes when they interviewed Vicki ( which was not included in the broadcast).  They did not have any preconceived notions at all.  In fact, they hadn’t done any research about the case in advance at all.

But, it was not a pro-Rackstraw broadcast.  If anything it was the opposite.

• Like 1

(edited)

I didn't waste anything but time telling you about being wrong. I don't care what you do with the book. I told you what the right thing to do with the book. follow? the same will be told next year and the year after. you have been told since I've been involved in the case. way before the 54 page report. we had the same problem getting you to remove the inaccurate material off of other sites, newsvine was one...your website for another example..

My site has nothing to do with your book. just more distraction from the point..

Edited by mrshutter45

(edited)

Really? No preconceived notions at all? 

Then how do you explain the fact that the same guy (Colbert) who was running the show (executive producer) on that program had a book ready for release at Amazon the very next day after the show aired...naming Rackstraw as the hijacker. 

Kinda tough to get around that fact. Of course the show was slanted. It was obvious, and that's why a lot of people in Cooperland, not just me, found it ridiculous. 

I especially liked the part at the end where they tried to spin Mucklow as being senile, or having other age-related memory problems. 

Mark, I am going to tell you where they screwed up. They should not have tossed all their eggs into a single basket with that book...PRIOR to actually speaking to Tina Mucklow. They bet the farm on Mucklow, and they got burned. Meanwhile, the REAL FBI was serving search warrants on the production company HQ for fraud and embezzlement by the CFO of the company. The whole thing was one of the biggest fiascoes in DB Cooper history. 

Shutter says in part: 

'We had the same problem getting you to remove the inaccurate material off of other sites, newsvine was one...'

Newsvine has been closed down for a few years now. Have you removed all the posts from your site done by Galen Cook, the ones where he says he was in contact with Bernie Geestman and was bringing him to the Auburn Ave Theater? Or the ones where he says he has spoken to Skipp Porteous, my co author, and that Porteous wished he had never met me? Those things are not true, of course. But still you host them. Maybe you should do a bit of housecleaning as well? B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
10 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

Good points Mark but remember they raided there office because they are slanted :) 

Brother, you will support anything and anybody, no matter how ridiculous or untrue the situation is. There is only ONE requirement. Either myself or the AB staff must somehow be involved. 

Not my fault Colbert, a supposed pro in the business, was foolish enough to put a key witness on television without qualifying her first, or questioning her first. I mean...that was REALLY foolish. 

Before Denise, (Geestman's niece) ever went on camera, she was questioned on what she knew, and didn't know...so that there were no surprises. We didn't want to waste peoples' time with a witness who didn't actually have anything to offer. Mucklow had nothing to offer to Colbert and his guys. Why they put her on TV and then were made to look like fools, well...I couldn't explain that. 

EDIT: Of course, Colbert wasn't happy with the show. His star witness, one he failed to qualify prior to filming...completely bailed on him. It was actually funny to watch. But sad at the same time. I kept wondering how in the hell did so many alleged experts, along with a bunch of retired LE personnel screw up so badly? It was like watching the Keystone Cops. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

That story is pure BS. as kids we were all ran out of rooms often. I can't recall where or when. the memory of this witness is astounding. she recalls something that really had no reason to recall and yet has perfect detailed memory. especially a memory involving seconds from decades past. 

making a bomb out of rolls of quarters is "ridiculous" as you like to say. rather expensive for a poor guy. it's over 2 grand to make that bomb lol. it would be flimsy, heavy and hard to keep it's shape and require a lot of tape that would of been noticed. much simpler ways to be creative if it was even fake to begin with. wood dowels, flares etc. 

10 minutes ago, MarkBennett said:

Tom Colbert fell prey to confirmation bias and motivated reasoning.  But, he’s hardly alone for those with favorite suspects in the Cooper case.

Well, I agree with that assessment. It's much better to present witnesses and evidence, whether it is circumstantial or direct, rather than relying on other things. 

(edited)
19 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

That story is pure BS. as kids we were all ran out of rooms often. I can't recall where or when. the memory of this witness is astounding. she recalls something that really had no reason to recall and yet has perfect detailed memory. especially a memory involving seconds from decades past. 

making a bomb out of rolls of quarters is "ridiculous" as you like to say. rather expensive for a poor guy. it's over 2 grand to make that bomb lol. it would be flimsy, heavy and hard to keep it's shape and require a lot of tape that would of been noticed. much simpler ways to be creative if it was even fake to begin with. wood dowels, flares etc. 

It's unwise to make blanket judgments on a witness without hearing their testimony first. You assume a lot here. And if KC used quarter rolls as she says, end to end in twos, even with eight sticks like that, that's not two grand. It's $160 in quarters. Director John Dower spoke to her at length prior to filming. She came off as sincere, truthful, and a little reluctant to go on camera. I say wait for the movie and decide for yourself whether she's making it all up. Dower, a no-bullshit director if there ever was one, thought she was being truthful. My opinion doesn't matter. 

Speaking of The Mystery of D.B. Cooper, looks like it will be released. The British Film Council is now listing it as being in post-production. Dower told me that it will probably go to some film festivals first, before a general release. I have already inquired about it with Altitude Films. Their contact info is shown in the link. Before you start talking TOO badly about it, you should probably watch it first. Bruce Smith, Lyle Christiansen, the Forman couple appear in the movie, among others. 

Might as well put up a few pictures, to get to know the folks involved in all this a bit better.
Below: L to R - Camera one and John Dower

LibraryArrival.jpg
Below: Cam one, Dower, and yours truly at the home in Kent, WA. 

PostShot1.jpg
Below: Day two, at the Eatonville, WA library.

SimpleStory2.jpg
Below: Outside the house in Kent, WA just prior to day one shoot. My 'Teal Terror' and Gayla's 1998 Pathfinder are shown. 

TheGreenBlackRigs.jpg
Below: Dower, Cam one, (I'm not supposed to give his name publicly) and one of the exec producers. She's the rather cute lady on the right. 

TheInvaders.jpg

Writing off witnesses even before you hear their testimony isn't real smart. It's okay to assume some things. Like telling the Brits you aren't a big fan of Marmite. They offered me some. I had not eaten Marmite before, but I had plenty of witnesses available to tell me it was like salty brown paste for crackers. Even then I still tried a bit of it, but I wouldn't recommend it. :)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

dynamite is 8 inches long. they said approx. 6 to 8 inches long and 8 sticks. quarters are two and three quarter of an inch long. three rolls would be needed times eight sticks. I think I calculated four per stick so I was off a little. that's still $1,525.01 in 1971. two rolls of quarters are five and a half inches. very short and not very convincing..

Robert, many people act sincere but are not..the whole thing doesn't pass the smell test as R99 always puts it..

Edited by mrshutter45

(edited)
30 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

dynamite is 8 inches long. they said approx. 6 to 8 inches long and 8 sticks. quarters are two and three quarter of an inch long. three rolls would be needed times eight sticks. I think I calculated four per stick so I was off a little. that's still $1,525.01 in 1971. two rolls of quarters are five and a half inches. very short and not very convincing..

Robert, many people act sincere but are not..the whole thing doesn't pass the smell test as R99 always puts it..

What smell test? From R99, same guy who thinks 305 changed course and went over Tina Bar? You'll have to do better than that. 

Who said the sticks were REAL dynamite? Dynamite is generally tan or light brown in color, red much more rarely. (Back in 1971 anyway. TODAY there are dozens of types of manufactured explosives, mostly manufactured by Dyno Nobel.)

Denise said KC was wrapping them in red electrical tape and specifically said quarter coin rolls were used. I say wait for the movie and then decide if she is giving accurate testimony. I could try to convince you of her sincerity, but that would be useless because you haven't seen her on film yet. It is what it is. Let the public decide whether she's lying, or just making it all up. And they will decide one way or another. It was actually the production staff who finally convinced her to go public. I had some hand in it, working with her son, but it was the Minnow Films folks who really made it happen. And she wouldn't take a dime for her appearance. Hell, even I got paid. She did as she promised back when I first met her at that restaurant with her family, and I gave them our early version of the KC report. She said she would testify to what she saw, but she wouldn't do it while her Uncle Bernie was alive. And that's exactly what she did. 

Length of the last quarter roll I measured, when I got curious about it, was 2.75 inches. That is five and a half inches for two of them, plus any small amount extra that might be added due to the use of tape. Sticks described as six to eight inches in length, but the stew only got a glance at the bomb anyway. Hard to pin exacts down on this, but if Cooper was actually trying to convince the stew he had a REAL bomb, and the bomb WAS real...he would have given her a longer look. The open-and-close routine he used points more to the idea that Cooper DIDN'T want the stew to get a closer look, for fear she might figure out the bomb was a phony. 

EDIT: If you asking me to guess, and assuming Denise is telling the truth...this is what I think happened. KC used coin rolls for some of the sticks, and perhaps RR flares for the rest. All wrapped in the red electrical tape. But I was not there to see this, and unless someone eventually finds the briefcase, there is no way to verify. You can believe her testimony, or not. But hearing it first is the best course. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert, ....two rolls taped together is very small and not convincing in the least. put that in a briefcase and you will see. it's only five and a half inches long. it's not the point of being real it's the point of making it look real. you are constructing a firecracker lol. 

The color was stated the same as the uniforms. that's red. you are correct that most dynamite is brown. people believe more towards red from cartoons. fake or not it worked. 

Yes, I used R99's quote. I don't agree with his conclusions but one never knows. he's a pilot, skydiver and a aeronautical engineer to boot. 

(edited)
10 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

Robert, ....two rolls taped together is very small and not convincing in the least. put that in a briefcase and you will see. it's only five and a half inches long. it's not the point of being real it's the point of making it look real. you are constructing a firecracker lol. 

The color was stated the same as the uniforms. that's red. you are correct that most dynamite is brown. people believe more towards red from cartoons. fake or not it worked. 

Yes, I used R99's quote. I don't agree with his conclusions but one never knows. he's a pilot, skydiver and a aeronautical engineer to boot. 

Stew only got a quick glance at the bomb. When the Dower film comes out, everyone watching it will decide on their own if Denise is telling the truth or not. Frankly, I don't believe if KC actually did what she says, that he used quarter rolls for all the sticks. But I have no idea. The fact remains that her testimony was enough to convince the director she was being truthful. It's fifteen minutes out of the movie. There is all the other stuff, the Formans, Bruce, Lyle C, myself, others I am sure. I never asked for a detailed list on who they filmed for the movie. They did mention those people, though. 

I have an inquiry in to Altitude Films asking where and when I can purchase this picture. Sent just yesterday, no answer yet. 

LewisShot1.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins