47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Just a simple question,Is it posible to get measurements for LD, from his picture ? It looks like there is known reference's with the back ground / the guitar straps, the walls and what he is sitting on, in his picture. Jerry

In Bruce's interview with Dale Miller (Santa), L.D.'s height and his weight (when he was heavier later in life) were discussed:

Despite the prior resistance, Dale seemed comfortable speaking with me and we chatted for nearly 30 minutes.

He, too, did not know Lynn Doyle’s physical characteristics.

“I guess he was about 5-10, I’d say, give or take. I’m 6’1” and he was a little shorter than I am. As for weight, hmmm, he was heavier later, of course, when I knew him at the end of his life, but I would estimate his weight to be about 175.”

Melvin Luther Wilson - Missing Person since September 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QLnFvk8Fs

. Sorry Jo when you attacked me in a recent post you ask for this. Bottom line "Jo/ Ms Cooper" that name you used on other threads that most people on this Forum are aware of in the year 2000 . So Jo! Its time to do one of two thing's, and that is stop posting on DropZone, or start using your research to help research this case. One last thing. Jo You Know I, and you have proven! Duane was not Cooper. So take the" cat claws" off and stop atacking people or stop posting here on DropZone. Jerry

;)I did NOT attack you. If you think something is about you it probably is - that is your perspective. You only see one side of the coin.

You could NOT find a Mt that has been spelled out. You couldn't find were the tower used to be. Truth is you did find them and know exactly what I have spoke of and the fact the tower was there in 1971, but not 1979....but, YOU had YOUR own motives for NOT revealing this.

I always chalked it up to your inability to comprehend anything I have ever said - regarding the locations of the places I described. Now I think you DID and DO know the exact locations of these places.

Why in the world would anyone think conspiracy? Why in the world would you deny these places? Did you go there and retrive evidence Cooper may have hidden? If you knew the locations of the used to be tower and the MT? Why do YOU ALWAY avoid the MT. I speak of. Anyone can go back in your post and find you NEVER mention this MT. You avoided it like the plague. YOU IGNORED EVERY POST I EVER MADE ABOUT THAT MT. All you ever did was try to discredit me in any way you could.

What motive would you have to deny the location of these places? You make yourself sound like part of a conspiracy or cover-up. You are responsible for the conspiracy theories I may or may not have had. Your denial of easy to find places for anyone living in the area makes that suspect. :)Your ignoring over and over the Hill or MT....is extremely suspect.

You are covering up something!
You are the one who attacks not only me, but anyone else who gets even close. You hide behind a screen the facade of being illiterate and belligerent - but are you really?

Is that just a Smoke Screen you use to keep from being found out? Perhaps you are the conspiracy!
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Quade: What is your honest opinion on the Marla Cooper story. Jerry. Ps. Guru 312 did I spell everthing right. I even put a period after the Ps.Jerry

I'd need a hell of a lot more detail and hard physical evidence before believing anything anybody claims based on memories from a long time ago.

So far we've seen maybe a couple of dozen folks come forward over the years claiming some connection to the case. It's a bit like a belief in a mythical diety; obviously at best only one of the stories could possibly be the right one and all the others are bull shit for attention or sincerely believed figments of a person's imagination, but only one, at best, can be true.

Now, none of this changes my opinion of how I think it went down as I've previously stated before -- I think most likely DB Cooper died on the night in question either through cratering or exposure, but in any case probably didn't live through the night.

Prove me wrong. I'd love to be proven wrong, but somebody is going to have to prove it, not just speculate or think they remember ol' Uncle Whoever having a "secret" briefcase full of money locked away in an attic, but they never personally saw the contents of.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Jo wrote

Ckret was still on the thread when I made my complaint about his making subjective remarks in the thread that were his OWN opinion...FBI agents can only provide facts - NOT opinions regarding an open case.

You aren't from FBI internal affairs Jo. Let them handle SA public behavior. Who made you the forum cop?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Jo wrote

Ckret was still on the thread when I made my complaint about his making subjective remarks in the thread that were his OWN opinion...FBI agents can only provide facts - NOT opinions regarding an open case.

You aren't from FBI internal affairs Jo. Let them handle SA public behavior. Who made you the forum cop?

. . . broken record shattered so many pieces God
cant find them all. Obsessive-compulsive. Give it a
funeral.

Yes, it was Snow that discovered the Cooper comics; Carr thought it was compelling and it has become part of the "evidence" ever since. Thank you for pointing that out to the newbies.

As for Marla: She's the reason I made a blind bet against every single suspect known and unknown. She, nor anyone else, ever took me up on the free roll. That probably says less about her confidence than it says about mine, though.

Come back in 10 years and this case will still not be solved. Come back in 20, 30, 40 and it will be the same. I'm calling this thing officially botched.

That's okay though; it has allowed endless speculation and suspects of the month to perpetually keep people in suspense.

10 questions for everyone, eh? Okay. It might take more than 10 questions to figure this out, or else you'd better have some pretty good questions.

Jo writes about Jerry

You are responsible for the conspiracy theories I may or may not have had.

That's pretty hilarious. Jerry must have some powerful mojo to be responsible for the conspiracy theories you did not have.

He caused the recent lunar eclipse too and also one that didn't happen

There are no Cooper conspiracies Jo. Just rivalries and bickering.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Come back in 10 years and this case will still not be solved. Come back in 20, 30, 40 and it will be the same. I'm calling this thing officially botched

I disagree. I think it will be solved. Earhart disappearance too.
Someone will find something, in spite of all the prior botching.

I am an optimist.

I'm keeping an open mind with a healthy dose of skepticism. Like I mentioned in a prior post the guitar strap picture is intriguing, but.....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4233177;#4233177

and here

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4233374;#4233374

Not to mention what someone else brought up (they didn't post it so I won't say who it was unless they want me to) -- the logistics of leaving Sisters and being in Portland with black suit and shades on by midday?? in order to buy that ticket, board that plane, and hand over that note at 3 pm-ish. What time does Marla say they left the house? What time was the ticket bought?

All that said...I do have to wonder what LD's immediate family thinks about all of this. His wife and kids, specifically. For all I know, they may love the attention, but from the scarcity of articles featuring them, one has to wonder what they think of Marla's walk down memory lane?

In addition to the timeframe they left the family home ;), why would they bring a duck blind to a hi-jacking?

From Bruce's article and his interview with the police officer, Arden Dorney:

Arden appeared mentally refreshed when he drifted back into anecdotal stories he had heard from Marla concerning the antics of the Cooper brothers. Arden told me the story that Marla had told him about LD and Dewey making weird preparations before Thanksgiving, constructing a duck blind out of plywood that was too big to fit in Dewey’s small, two-seater automobile.

It sounds like they were planning to go hunting.

Someone please explain to me the relevancy of when they left Sisters, and when they bought the ticket. I don't think Marla has said when they left Sisters, she's simply said they left and said they were going hunting didn't she? I don't think she said when. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing the information is probably known about when he bought the ticket. I would assume he bought it when he went to the airport. I don't understand why these questions are important.

People seem to dismiss the credit given by the FBI to Marla. Doesn't that carry some weight? As far as Marla's family is concerned, that's what Bruce Smith's article is about. I think it's a pretty good article.
The Money Connection

Quade:
Prove me wrong. I'd love to be proven wrong, but somebody is going to have to prove it, not just speculate or think they remember ol' Uncle Whoever having a "secret" briefcase full of money locked away in an attic, but they never personally saw the contents of.

When Rataczak and O'Hara are gone and the family releases their book, you MIGHT get half the truth. You have already heard the facts, but you all choose to ignore them as preposterous. Mark my words. I have no reason to make up a story, but I have reason not to. It is not in my character. Your government in action. Pilot's Union, the 'new' FAA and Tricky Dicky. It is a documented series of events.

Circumstantial speculation aside, interesting stories do not a case make.

Where is the hard evidence?

A placard and some of the money.

Soft evidence - a tie and clip, missing Raleigh cigs, unknown partial fingerprints, unknown partial DNA, conflicting flight path analysis, conflicting parachute sources, conflicting contemporaneous reports ... fraught with many layers of contamination issues.

Dissecting Marla's story and those of others is an exercise in outer space that continues to ignore the only hard evidence that exists - and validates the idea that there is any worthwhile discussion of a "story."

Jo writes about Jerry

That's pretty hilarious. Jerry must have some powerful mojo to be responsible for the conspiracy theories you did not have.

:D:D:D:D

On marla's story....my biggest issue with it is simply how much you can really remember from when you were 8. I mean, I know I can remember some stuff in a lot of detail, but still.

Still waiting for someone to find the parachute out in the woods....with or without bones attached.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I'm keeping an open mind with a healthy dose of skepticism. Like I mentioned in a prior post the guitar strap picture is intriguing, but.....

and here

Not to mention what someone else brought up (they didn't post it so I won't say who it was unless they want me to) -- the logistics of leaving Sisters and being in Portland with black suit and shades on by midday?? in order to buy that ticket, board that plane, and hand over that note at 3 pm-ish. What time does Marla say they left the house? What time was the ticket bought?

All that said...I do have to wonder what LD's immediate family thinks about all of this. His wife and kids, specifically. For all I know, they may love the attention, but from the scarcity of articles featuring them, one has to wonder what they think of Marla's walk down memory lane?

In addition to the timeframe they left the family home ;), why would they bring a duck blind to a hi-jacking?

Arden appeared mentally refreshed when he drifted back into anecdotal stories he had heard from Marla concerning the antics of the Cooper brothers. Arden told me the story that Marla had told him about LD and Dewey making weird preparations before Thanksgiving, constructing a duck blind out of plywood that was too big to fit in Dewey’s small, two-seater automobile.

Someone please explain to me the relevancy of when they left Sisters, and when they bought the ticket. I don't think Marla has said when they left Sisters, she's simply said they left and said they were going hunting didn't she? I don't think she said when. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing the information is probably known about when he bought the ticket. I would assume he bought it when he went to the airport. I don't understand why these questions are important.

People seem to dismiss the credit given by the FBI to Marla. Doesn't that carry some weight? As far as Marla's family is concerned, that's what Bruce Smith's article is about. I think it's a pretty good article.

The relevancy of a time-frame of events IS important. Can someone be in two places at the same time? Many innocent people use timelines of events as an alibi for a crime they are accused of committing.

The driving distance from Sisters to Portland takes 2 hours and 38 minutes. This is assuming that stops were not made along the way; the weather in the mountains did not hamper their progress; or packing a duck blind in a two seater Austin Healy slowed them down.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=portland+to+sisters+oregon&mkt=en-US&FORM=BYFD

So this line of questioning is relevant to setting up a time-line of events. When did they leave the home to go turkey hunting? Was it the day of the hi-jacking, was it the evening before? Was it three hours before? Why did they pack a duck blind to hi-jack a plane?

The following mental image gave me a laugh. Picture if you will:

Dewey is driving the two-seater Austin Healy and L.D. is hanging on to the duck blind. The wind catches the blind and rips L.D. out of the passenger seat at 55 MPH (being conservative here). L.D. hits the pavement hard. OUCH. The injuries sustained by launching yourself out of a vehicle at 55 MPH are consistent with Marla's recollections and could have been a result of scraping the pavement or hitting the ground.

and here

The relevancy of a time-frame of events IS important. Can someone be in two places at the same time? Many innocent people use timelines of events as an alibi for a crime they are accused of committing.

The driving distance from Sisters to Portland takes 2 hours and 38 minutes. This is assuming that stops were not made along the way; the weather in the mountains did not hamper their progress; or packing a duck blind in a two seater Austin Healy slowed them down.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=portland+to+sisters+oregon&mkt=en-US&FORM=BYFD

So this line of questioning is relevant to setting up a time-line of events. When did they leave the home to go turkey hunting? Was it the day of the hi-jacking, was it the evening before? Was it three hours before? Why did they pack a duck blind to hi-jack a plane?

The following mental image gave me a laugh. Picture if you will:

Dewey is driving the two-seater Austin Healy and L.D. is hanging on to the duck blind. The wind catches the blind and rips L.D. out of the passenger seat at 55 MPH (being conservative here). L.D. hits the pavement hard. OUCH. The injuries sustained by launching yourself out of a vehicle at 55 MPH are consistent with Marla's recollections and could have been a result of scraping the pavement or hitting the ground.

I still don't understand what this has to do with Marla's story. She doesn't say when they left as far as I know. She may not remember very well.

I can speculate as well. They may have set up camp under the pre-arranged drop site a day or two ahead of time. Camping equipment would be consistent with the idea they were going overnight to spend the time hunting turkeys. He purchased the ticket when he went to the airport.

However, I don't see where speculation, yours or mine, has much to do with checking the truthfulness of Marla's story.
The Money Connection

I think the approach you have described here is the right approach ... I applaud you for proceeding in this way with the interview.

Whenever I experience members of the media who have taken steps to avoid personal bias or organization-sponsored bias in their journalistic processes and published content (which seems rare in our modern, agenda-driven age), I value their contribution more highly.

It's normal to have at least a degree of skepticism; after all, 40 years is a long time to conduct an investigation, not to mention to have to field so many false leads as false perpetrators have been continually implicated by others, or even themselves.

We balance this knowledge with the knowledge that this case is like the lottery; there can only be one "winner" - and I use this term in a very loose, non-precise sense.

However, acknowledging one's skepticism, yet giving someone the benefit of the doubt, is the ethical approach.

Green Elf

I think the approach you have described here is the right approach ... I applaud you for proceeding in this way with the interview.

Whenever I experience members of the media who have taken steps to avoid personal bias or organization-sponsored bias in their journalistic processes and published content (which seems rare in our modern, agenda-driven age), I value their contribution more highly.

It's normal to have at least a degree of skepticism; after all, 40 years is a long time to conduct an investigation, not to mention to have to field so many false leads as false perpetrators have been continually implicated by others, or even themselves.

We balance this knowledge with the knowledge that this case is like the lottery; there can only be one "winner" - and I use this term in a very loose, non-precise sense.

However, acknowledging one's skepticism, yet giving someone the benefit of the doubt, is the ethical approach.

Green Elf

I note that Blevins has endeared himself to Marla and she has given him the affectionate name of "chicken shit".
The Money Connection

I still don't understand what this has to do with Marla's story. She doesn't say when they left as far as I know. She may not remember very well.

Stories need to be verified with evidence. Would you like to spend time in prison/jail based only on someone's story or the memories of an 8 y/o child?

I can speculate as well. They may have set up camp under the pre-arranged drop site a day or two ahead of time. Camping equipment would be consistent with the idea they were going overnight to spend the time hunting turkeys. He purchased the ticket when he went to the airport.

Camping equipment? I have not seen that in any of the stories. Are you adding "facts" to Marla's story. Did she say the uncle's left two days prior with camping equipment?

Dan Cooper DID purchase the ticket at the Portland airport prior to boarding the plane. This information is not disputed. The ticket agent, Hal Williams, sold the ticket to Cooper.

However, I don't see where speculation, yours or mine, has much to do with checking the truthfulness of Marla's story.

So we bend over and accept it for what is is? Sorry. This is not about checking the truthfulness of Marla's story. I have not disputed her childhood recollections. In ANY crime, it is about finding hard evidence. This evidence will be used to convict a dead man. A man who does not have the capacity to defend himself.

I am not pushing a book, video or have stake in a windfall of money. I do not need a pre-determined outcome based on L.D. I am looking at all possibilities, including speculation or theories from others and people who look outside the "box".

The ending of the L.D."story" would only be significant if evidence, not stories, backed his involvement in the hi-jacking. A time-line of Dewey's and L.D.s whereabouts would be considered evidence. A fingerprint or DNA match would be hard evidence.

Who's picture is that you use for an avatar, and what is his relation to DB Cooper?

It is my father. It was taken in March of 1971 by the FBI during surveillance. He disappeared in September 1971 and has not been heard from since. He was a career criminal and has Federal warrants for his arrest for counterfeiting charges out of Wisconsin and Minnesota.

As far as I know, there is no relation to Dan Cooper. That would take evidence. Not speculation.

Green Elf

Who's picture is that you use for an avatar, and what is his relation to DB Cooper?

It is my father. It was taken in March of 1971 by the FBI during surveillance. He disappeared in September 1971 and has not been heard from since. He was a career criminal and has Federal warrants for his arrest for counterfeiting charges out of Wisconsin and Minnesota.

As far as I know, there is no relation to Dan Cooper. That would take evidence. Not speculation.

Okay. Sorry for your loss. From the picture I thought you were trying to imply that he was Cooper. What draws you to this forum anyway?

BTW, you may not know this, but witness testimony plays a big part in a lot of cases. Marla claims to be a witness to certain things. Are repressed memories out of the question? Repressed memories have played a part in a lot of child abuse cases.
The Money Connection

.....If you would read the thread, then you would have known already...............................and since you refuse to take my advice and readit, then you might as well go to youtube and watch vicki's dad's unsloved mystery episode......................................