47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Mr Shutter wrote

most walkie talkies back then didn't have much power and most claimed about a mile but this would be with perfect conditions and line of sight (nothing blocking signal) Cooper would have to be almost perfect with his landing for these to work!

Nope. Many 1 watt and even some 5 watt CB walkie talkies were available in 71. Ranges of several miles even without line of sight was routine. CB signals (27 MHz) seem to be propagate better in hilly areas than VHF or UHF signals of the same power. I had some 100 miliwatt (1/10th of a watt) CB walkie talkies in the 60s and could talk ten miles with a clear line of sight, e.g. one person on a mountain peak and the other in a distant valley with line of sight to the peak.

Again, zero evidence that Cooper used radios. I just like the idea.

Hmmm might have to call you on this one 377, I remember ready on my box when I got my first walkie that it had a range of about a quarter mile, I remember them not working well unless you were high above everything, I found sites claiming up to 5 miles but in perfect conditions, if you live in the mountains I'm not sure about range, could and should be better with higher elevations but not over hills and trees.

this was back in the early 70's I even had trouble talking to truckers, I would hold up a sign telling them to go to channel 14 that's the only channel I had. mine were not expensive units but they were 100 mills, in the late 70's I got a Radio Shack 5 channel 3 watt walkie and could barely reach my buddy a little over a quarter mile away until we got better antenna's, this was a clear line of site but inside looking out our windows to each others houses, our development was not built yet between us so we had a clear shot.

conditions play a huge roll I'm sure you know and possibly my area (Florida) is much different than yours? but they sucked up in Ohio as well B|
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Lyle then stated publically his brother was not DB
Cooper, so far as he knew! (but just a good story fit
for a movie script)

Maybe Lyle did not really believe his brother was DB Cooper. However, he did go to a great deal of time and expense to get that information to Nora Ephron.

Lyle may not now believe his brother was DB Cooper -- but I think he might have then.

Jo wrote:

As she described it to me it had suspender like straps that crossed in the back and the belt was wide with secure pocket. My mind was saying Tool Belt, but she indicated it had pockets and was made out of canvas and not for tools. She never told me why he had her make such an item

Jo,

Might it have been a "booster rig"?

That makes more sense than trying to explain it as a radionavigation apparatus.

:(Have NOT a clue what you are talking about...regarding the"belt thing". I simply wanted to know if he could have used this to put the battery and a walkie talkie into. Frankly I can't even imagine what the THING she made looked like. I pictured in my mind something like a fanny pack, but she stated it had more pockets and then the suspender type strap or straps.

MY Question Counselor a was simple question - Could the Battery Tina saw power a Walkie Talkie once Cooper was on the ground.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Jo,

All walkie talkies carry internal batteries. Having an external
separate battery makes no sense and would needlessly add complications to a tough night jump.

If Cooper's bomb battery was the right voltage for the walkie talkie (usually 12 volts) then it could have been used but it would require a cable and a special plug to connect to the radio. Some accounts of Cooper's battery describe it as round which if accurate makes it likely that it was a 1.5 volt cell which is useless for powering a walkie talkie.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

:D

Jo has the page screwed up again ? Super long/wide.

:S

G.

NOT JO! It was Mrshutter or yourself with post 36145 and G 5330. When you guys do "replies" make sure you only do it one time. Multiple hits will cause several lines on the posted page and the whole computer page gets screwed up unless the author realizes what they have done. Will do it every time. When your post comes up with all of the lines indicating replies - this is what generally happens.

I went back and found it - Quade is the only one who can fix it after the time has passed (usually 4 hrs). When you see this happen try to contact the person who made the mistake if it is not your own post. If the person has already left the stage then you are STUCK until the thread rolls over a page.

Mr. Blevins said:

"Would I do it again for Amelia Earhart or another unsolved mystery? Not a chance in hell. Once was enough."

Too bad. I was hoping that you would soon be confirming that H.H. Holmes was in fact, Jack the Ripper. ;)

"They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in. But later that night, they were shining those lights back down on that mountain again." - Todd Snider

Jo wrote

Have NOT a clue what you are talking about...regarding the"belt thing". I simply wanted to know if he could have used this to put the battery and a walkie talkie into. Frankly I can't even imagine what the THING she made looked like. I pictured in my mind something like a fanny pack, but she stated it had more pockets and then the suspender type strap or straps.

Sounds exactly like a booster rig Jo. Given ample evidence that Duane was a thief and zero evidence that he was a parachutist I know where I'd place my bet regarding the purpose of this unusual item.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

before it gets out of hand about the walkies, it's highly unlikely Cooper used these, why, because they would only be good on the ground and if this was planed out that good and where he was jumping he would of had it on the ground for access, if this was the case he would also have many other things there for his escape and then wouldn't need any help.

I doubt he pulled one out while coming down, how much more equipment are we going to add to this guy?

Boots
walkie talkie
glasses
gloves
bomb
money
toothbrush
flashlight
lighter/matches
gun
map
camera (site seeing)
check book (deposit slip)
compass
dry clothes
shovel
I think I'm done B| pain pill time :(

"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

You forgot 'none of the above,' although maybe a map and compass is possible. Since Cooper requested the flight take off from Seattle with the stairs down, this could indicate he was planning to jump reletively quickly after they reached altitude.

In order to determine his possible intentions, someone should research how long it was between the time 305 left Seattle until the first time Cooper started talking about opening the door. There are people here who know these things a lot better than I do. Yes...even Georger, for example.

the list was basically an example of "out of control"
the aft stair lite came on right around McChord AFB which was 19 KM out of Seattle, V23 runs right by it.
this was 7 minutes into the flight.
7:40 they reached 7000' 14 KM out SEA
7:43 they were 19 Km out of SEA and began 30 degree flaps

You forgot 'none of the above,' although maybe a map and compass is possible. Since Cooper requested the flight take off from Seattle with the stairs down, this could indicate he was planning to jump reletively quickly after they reached altitude.

In order to determine his possible intentions, someone should research how long it was between the time 305 left Seattle until the first time Cooper started talking about opening the door. There are people here who know these things a lot better than I do. Yes...even Georger, for example.

Cooper was putting on his chute in front of Hancock
and Tina even before the plane left the ground at
SEA. That is in their testimony (in the files) according
to agents -

He had already requested the rear door be unlocked
with stairs out -

Ckret posted about this here at DZ. Its in the thread.

'Mr. Blevins, at the time of Kenny's death, did his brother know that he was gay?'

Lyle Christiansen (Kenny's brother) and Kenny's nephew Bruce Christiansen have both said that the family knew Kenny was gay from about the time Kenny was sixteen years old.

I guess its some consolation after years, that
Blevins finally admits Kenny was gay, and that the
family knew it all along? (RMB's post above).

Gray and Porteous questioned Lyle at length about
Kenny's background and psychology. Two main
themes emerge from Lyle's statements and from
Gray's research, as I read this -

(1) Lyle says in Unmasked: " Kenny was always
looking for ways to make a buck,” Lyle says. Gray
and Lyle explain this further with examples I wont
repeat here - you can read Gray's article. The vital
point is, Kenny was always working 'off the books'
by himself or with others, and we know he died with
considerable savings and assets.

While we know some of the jobs that he worked
in addition to working for NWA, we dont know the
full slate of extra income producing activities he
engaged in, by himself or with others through the
whole period of his life. He may have used his
network of relationships to produce 'off the books
income'. His relationship with Geestman could have
been an income producing activity ?

Lyle's remark ("Kenny was always looking for ways
to make a buck") and Kenny's net worth at death
after a lifetime of working and earning, do not seem
contrdictory. Moreover, nobody has presented any
facts (IRS, bank statements, or otherwise) as to
what Kenny's net worth at the end of each year, say
1970-1980. And if some amount was being made
yearly 'off the books', then there is no way to do a
reliable accounting. And neither Gray or Blevins
seem to have persued this at any real depth at all.

Did Kenny get any bank loans during his life?

Kenny's financial structure is still a mystery.

(2) We know that Kenny was gay. Blevins has finally
conceded this, and even added further detail tonight
on top of Porteous' and Gray's previous research and
remarks. Gray's account in Unmasked is thorough
(you can read that online).

NWA employees describe Kenny as being withdrawn
and very private. But thanks to Gray (and not
Blevins) we know that Kenny's personal life was
complex and dynamic, involving a wide swath of
relationships and activities over a long period of
years. That is a revelation!

Mr. Blevins suggests a much smaller primary network
of relationships for Kenny vs. what Gray names and
interviewed. It leads me to wonder just who were
Kenny's primary friends and associates and where
the people Blevins identified actually fits in, given
that we now know Kenny had a much wider (longer)
network of relationships than Blevins portrayed.

The above could have strong implications for what
Kenny earned and actually spent in any given year,
the full list of Kenny's sources for income as well as
other opportunies coming to Kenny at any given
time, the actual importance of Geestman in Kenny's
life, or if Kenny was even available to do a hijacking
on Nov 24, 1971 ?

Obviously, Kenny had many more 'important'
relationships than Blevins has identified or
mentioned.

Could Kenny have done a hijacking and none of his
other 'intimate friends' knew about it?

Maybe Kenny and Geestman are/were covering for
somebody else, they nutured and trained?

(3) What was Kenny's secret Lyle says Kenny had,
if Lyle and everyone else already knew Kenny was
gay? And if the secret was not the DB Cooper
hijacking, then what was it - if there was a secret at
all and this is not just one more facet of a 'script'
Lyle himself dreamed up?

- to be continued -

Georger says in part:

"Kenny was always looking for ways to make a buck..."

No kidding? Well...that was probably because after twenty years with NWA, both on Schmoo and in Seattle, he was still only taking home about five hundred a month, and that's when they weren't out on strike. Attached: picture of something he did the year before the hijacking to help make ends meet. The woman in the picture is Margaret Geestman. Sometimes a picture really DOES speak a thousand words.B|

Hello...(hello)...is there anybody IN there...'

No. It was a principle Kenneth learned by example
watching his parents struggle as a child, if you
bothered to read Geoff's article and Lyle's
description of WHY Kenny had the passion to
"make a buck".

Quit winging it - learn to read.

HELLO! HELLO! IS THERE ANYBODY IN THERE?

the list was basically an example of "out of control"
the aft stair lite came on right around McChord AFB which was 19 KM out of Seattle, V23 runs right by it.
this was 7 minutes into the flight.
7:40 they reached 7000' 14 KM out SEA
7:43 they were 19 Km out of SEA and began 30 degree flaps

I believe the "KM"s you use above should be "NM"s. They are Nautical Miles rather than Kilometers.

Robert99

Georger says in part:

No kidding? Well...that was probably because after twenty years with NWA, both on Schmoo and in Seattle, he was still only taking home about five hundred a month, and that's when they weren't out on strike. Attached: picture of something he did the year before the hijacking to help make ends meet. The woman in the picture is Margaret Geestman. Sometimes a picture really DOES speak a thousand words.B|

Blevins, Georger has written words of wisdom in his post that you are replying to.

The airline business was very unstable in the 1960s and 1970s. There were long seasonal layoffs for those in both the cockpit and cabin crews that had low seniority numbers.

Additionally, both the cockpit and cabin crews could get their maximum allowable flying hours over with in a couple of weeks as a matter of routine. That leaves two weeks or more that they would have free.

Even the most senior captain on the airline probably had a second job (a non-flying one probably) or some additional income activity going for him. That is just the way things operated in that day and age.

So KC and probably everyone he flew with were basically working two or more jobs. And maybe some of them even managed to save a few dollars along the way.

KC doesn't look like he is "working" or doing something he normally does in that picture. Actually, he looks like he is having fun.

Robert99

Georger says in part:

Blevins, Georger has written words of wisdom in his post that you are replying to.

The airline business was very unstable in the 1960s and 1970s. There were long seasonal layoffs for those in both the cockpit and cabin crews that had low seniority numbers.

Additionally, both the cockpit and cabin crews could get their maximum allowable flying hours over with in a couple of weeks as a matter of routine. That leaves two weeks or more that they would have free.

Even the most senior captain on the airline probably had a second job (a non-flying one probably) or some additional income activity going for him. That is just the way things operated in that day and age.

So KC and probably everyone he flew with were basically working two or more jobs. And maybe some of them even managed to save a few dollars along the way.

KC doesn't look like he is "working" or doing something he normally does in that picture. Actually, he looks like he is having fun.

Robert99

I thinks Blevins makes way too much out of this
'NWA grudge' Kenny supposedly had. Life was hard
for eveyone, in just about every branch of life during
that period.

Blevins calls the place Kenny lived in a dump. I dont
recall any evidence of Kenny ever saying that? Its
Blevins saying that, not Kenny. Kenny may even
have favored in his remote location in a next-to-
nature condition?

There were millions of people living in similar
conditions or worse, all over America.

What stands out to me in the 'new' profile for KC is
the wider more dynamic network of relationships KC
had. The network outlined by Blevins vs. the network
outlined by Gray, is quite interesting in its totality.
And I dont recall either Blevins or Gray saying KC's
personal network included anyone at NWA. Thus
when you add NWA to KC's personal network, KC
suddenly becomes much more of a dynamic person.

One wonders where in this income producing
opportunity may have existed - something
overlooked to date?

His income came from somewhere - while his
personal needs were also being met. The whole
thing looks like a stable situation, not something
that would drive someone to criminal activity on a
mere grudge?

Cooper said: "This is not about money".

"I believe the "KM"s you use above should be "NM"s. They are Nautical Miles rather than Kilometers."

just noticed that, thanks was up late couldn't sleep and on pain killers for the stones, Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz B|

Attached: picture of something he did the year before the hijacking to help make ends meet. The woman in the picture is Margaret Geestman. Sometimes a picture really DOES speak a thousand words.

Blevins - why did you SIT on this picture? It is very very obvious in the pic that Kenny was slight of build in 1970 and bald as a cucumber!

NO WAY, he was Cooper!
NO WAY a toupe was used to cover that BALD head with the technology in Toupes at that time. Have you ACTUALLY seen pictures of men that bald with Toupe's dated 1971.

Who is that tycoon with the ridiculous hair comb-over? (I forget his name). ALL I see is his ridiculous hair - and his ego!
You guys know who I am talking about.

Even with all of his money in 1971 - he could NOT have covered the balding head of KC in 1971 without it being obvious.

Money? Kenny mentions his bitterness against the airline in several letters, especially referring to the strikes. He spoke of 'eight million dollar jets sitting on the ground' and being unable to pay the rent or buy food.

You guys assume a lot about Christiansen . . .

Kenny didn't have any savings, (we checked that) . . .

Both Helen Jones and Margaret Geestman knew Kenny was lying when he said he made plenty of money from the airline . . .

For the people who knew Kenny it was always the same story.

Helen Jones is certain on one important point. She says Kenny didn't have two nickels to rub together on 11-24-1971 . . .

Blevins, a condensed version of some of your post is above.

You also make quite a few assumptions in your post.

Despite your claim that KC was unable to pay the rent and buy food, he nevertheless did pay the rent, buy food, and build up a rather nice nest egg.

It is not unusual for airline crews, both cockpit and cabin, to not see the same group of fellow employees regularly. Cabin and cockpit crews can be based in different cities. And the personnel that are based in a specific city may not even live in that city or anywhere nearby. I know of cases where the a crew member commuted from one coast to another to get from his residence to his base.

As for KC's savings, where did you look? At his neighborhood branch of Bank X? I haven't seen a single mention in your writings of KC working on anything other than international routes for NWA. As an airline flight crew member, KC had expedited entrance and exits from foreign countries as well as the USA. He could have had a bank account as well a girlfriend/boyfriend/whatever in any of those countries without attracting any particular attention.

Helen Jones seems to be "certain" in the same sense as you and Jo Weber are "certain" of your favorite Cooper candidates.

Overall, you are just trying to apply your logic, or whatever, to insist that KC had to follow the same logic.

That is not a good way to make a case for anything.

Robert99

Georger says in part:

HOW many time does one have to inform you that 500 per month was pretty good money even in 1973 when I had 2 girls I was raising with little to NO help at times from their father.

You just do NOT get it. You did NOT live and work in the early 70's - I did!

Georger says in part:

HOW many time does one have to inform you that 500 per month was pretty good money even in 1973 when I had 2 girls I was raising with little to NO help at times from their father.

You just do NOT get it. You did NOT live and work in the early 70's - I did!

And don't forget that interest paid on savings was somewhat more reasonable in the early 1970s than it is today. The 1970s were a period when the interest rates on real estate mortgages, as well as prices, started a steep climb. So quite a bit of money could be, and was, made in that era in dealing with real estate.

Robert99

Who is that tycoon with the ridiculous hair comb-over? (I forget his name). ALL I see is his ridiculous hair - and his ego!
You guys know who I am talking about.

Donald Trump?

:D:D:D:D
HOW could I possibly have forgotten his name? :D:D

NOT a very good day today and I have a lot of my plate...I just could NOT pull the name out!

I thought I had something to say tonight, but with what is going on here - NOT sure!

As for the battery thing - I follow every that comes up. I also thought it would be pretty hard to handle that battery, but I have always wondered what happened to the other chute he threw out and the briefcase. I believe he threw those before the Plane approached Mt. St. Helens! Would not the crew have noted a change when these items went out?

I doubt Cooper took time to throw a flare, but is it possible there was enough break in the storm or cloud coverage around Mt. St. Helen for him to know they were close. The one specific thing Duane told me about the area was the light at Swift Dam.
Duane was just too focused on certain detail about the area on our trip in 1979.

I remember his face during certain points on the trip. Only one time did he even think he might have made a wrong turn. I will repeat - Duane DID NOT look at a map - not one time on that 1979 trip!

This is a man who the FBI claims was never in Washington! BUT, I was the one with him on the 1979 trip - a naive female who knew NOTHING about Cooper.
Duane knew how to pick-em! The closest I had ever been to WA was when I was about 13 yrs. old was Salt Lake City.

And don't forget that interest paid on savings was somewhat more reasonable in the early 1970s than it is today. The 1970s were a period when the interest rates on real estate mortgages, as well as prices, started a steep climb. So quite a bit of money could be, and was, made in that era in dealing with real estate.

Robert99

Right - I should have caught that, but then I didn't get real estate license until 1978. Duane and I made a bundle on an investment in in 1984 to 1987!

Basically only obtaining a loan on a house and doing a few cosmetic repairs on and walked 3 plus yrs later with over 40K in our account.