47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Mr. Blevins,

Nice piece; you were true to your word. This interview-based article was very objective and well written.

I note that by comparison, a previous article written by another journalist recently and linked to this forum, one which did add significant other details to the Cooper case, did not comprehensively accomplish this same objective.

(1) It was interesting that MC cared to distinguish between the word "close" and "drop" (the case).

(2) MC's speculation on how LD was exposed to Dan Cooper comics is plausible. From what both MC and Dale (Santa) have stated, it doesn't seem as if LD suffered for a lack of free time on his hands. Who knows the ports-of-call or airports he may have visited on his Navy forays around the world.

It would be interesting to see if further information could be dug up (i.e., perhaps European-based refueling stops), and whether such ports-of-call and/or airports could be linked to common comic distribution points. In like manner, I wonder where and how exactly Dan Cooper comics were distributed in Canada.

This might be asking a lot of MC's memory, but I also wonder whether she would recognize any particular comic book covers of LD's. If so, these could be corroborated with a particular issue ... and date of publication ...

3) I'm speculating here, but from what MC shared, I would be willing to venture that her book will be less detective novel, and more personal / family biography. My previous stated thoughts about closure may prove correct. People who are very sure of their position don't tend to write "defense-of-personal-theory" books - they tend to write "personal closure" books.

4) Point of clarification: Was the car referenced in the 9th question the Blue Triumph that MC refers to in the 10th question? Or, was the car she referred to in the earlier question Dewey's car? It is interesting that she noted that the car was not wrecked.

Green Elf

Off topic, except it involves a really big plane and indirectly, Seattle.
Will be pretty cool - that is if we make it past that dreaded Dec 2012 Mayan apocalypse thing (don't laugh - I saw it on the History channel) ;):):)
Personally though I will still miss seeing those shuttles blast off..

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2011/12/13/microsoft-co-founder-to-build-giant-plane-to-launch-people-cargo-into-space/

but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

Yeah I've seen several blast off and took the bus tour to see all the cool stuff. All the trivia they tell you about the inner workings is fascinating.
When they started doing the lottery thing with the good watch site tickets I never got a chance to get one again. Though once I did what the natives do and parked on the side of the highway along the river and watched. For some reason no one i ever dragged along with me on the 5 hour trip to get there enjoyed it quite as much as I did. Party poopers.
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

Me too! My first pilot at the first drop zone I owned was an astronaut. She flew jumpers for me while she was in graduate school and just before joining NASA.

Here is a picture she sent to my daughter:

http://berniesayers.com/Marsha2.jpg
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Me too! My first pilot at the first drop zone I owned was an astronaut. She flew jumpers for me while she was in graduate school and just before joining NASA.

Here is a picture she sent to my daughter:

http://berniesayers.com/Marsha2.jpg

Wow...did I read correctly that she was on 5 flights? I know people probably hate this word but that's awesome.

This was all of a day ago (73 years DBC thread time), so I guess it qualifies as ancient history now.

RobertMBlevins said of the article:

“I've decided to open the article with some background on Marla's case and then simply present the results of her Q and A. That's it. No mention of KC, Blast, or any of that. This is Marla's article, i.e. a chance for her to respond to what people have been questioning more and more lately.”

Wouldn’t ya know it, the VA said the titanium plate, in my head was causing all this confusion and it’s not big enough to get benefits. Oh well.

Some things in life: pregnancy, death, raping headless corpses and using a condom are binary conditions.

Stating that you would NOT mention KC is a binary condition. It was NOT (binary again) met and you knew this. Why not publish a preamble for the reader instead of using this oft failed technique of assuming all consumers are idiots? The morons are the free space on the journalistic BINGO card so it matters not what you do in their eyes. Always minimize, deflect and trivialize what you said earlier. I’m sort of OK with that, now you lost some feedback and your clothes look fabulous your highness.

This leaves the un-morons (could be more or less intelligent, not saying) who usually read THEN dismiss the article in whole due to a single piece; the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor for instance. I don’t see what is so complex about this.

Goerger wrote about Blevins

I thought his questions were very poor, obtuse, redundant, and full of contumely as evidenced by Marla's response to Blevins re- 'Kenny was my uncle too'!

Praising with faint damnation.

You did good Robert. ;)

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Goerger wrote about Blevins

I thought his questions were very poor, obtuse, redundant, and full of contumely as evidenced by Marla's response to Blevins re- 'Kenny was my uncle too'!

Praising with faint damnation.

You did good Robert. ;)

Instead of asking Blevins questions (he never
answers) about his articles, in the future we will
just ask you to explain on his behalf..

I had to go in the back door but I finally got to Blevins site to read his question/answer article and NOW after figuring out how to get to DropZone - I don't remember what the questions and answers were. Seriously!

It takes forever to load Dropzone - well, a long time. This old XP is going to have to go.

Since I can remember what I read about 3 hours ago - I will go with saying it seemed fair...and I didn't read anything that set off any alarms one way or another. It was basically the some old story.

Now to answer a question you guy were demanding answers to earlier. Hell, I forgot the question but remember the gest of it.

If someone could prove to me Duane was not Dan Cooper - with the same kind of proof the FBI needs to prove he was - yes, I could live with that.

;)Look out that answer is loaded. I just read what I wrote and I think I understand what I am trying to say, but doubt anyone else will.

No, I have not had any medication, but I am unusually tired tonight. So Hello and Goodnight all in one post....I'll think about it tomorrow.

Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

To be fair to Blevins, I didn't interpret the mention of the AB book as a plug, and I did think mentioning that the interviewer had a different suspect was the right thing to do - like a financial journalist writing about a company should mention if s/he holds stock in that company.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

If someone could prove to me Duane was not Dan Cooper - with the same kind of proof the FBI needs to prove he was - yes, I could live with that

Leaving aside your continued basic logical failure to understand the stupidity of that statement, let me ask: if LD, or another suspect's,fingerprints are found to be a match, would you accept that as proof? Or would you come up with some other half-cocked theory as to how Duane could still be involved?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

NO RAMBLING BULL SHIT....................JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION.................

Why are you attempting to hold her to a different standard than the rest of the posters? Most of what I read on here is rambling bullshit and hardly anyone stays on topic or on point.

Your attitude seems disingenuous and your all caps and concatenated ellipses way of writing isn't helping your cause...what ever it is.

...................I'm not holding anyone to any standard..............simply asking a question.................and I do not have a cause.........do you have a cause?

Quade wrote

That pretty much goes for everyone in the thread who has a pet theory and is espousing it here for profit.

Attempted profit is a better description. Making money off anything Cooper is really hard. Breaking even is hard. Geoff may have turned a profit, but he didn't fly to Portland in his own jet. When you look at the numbers Brian Ingram is probably in the lead. If Jerry finds Cooper's rig he'll pull ahead of Brian, but that's a real long shot.

Marla, for all her effort and charm, has yet to produce a penny in Cooper revenue. It's hard to see how her book will be a best seller. The main event is an 8 year old kid seeing an injured uncle. You can throw in some anecdotes about a dysfunctional family, but what do you do with the remaining 300 pages? You are a writer Quade. What are your thoughts about Marla's book potential. Maybe I don't see the big picture.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I have believed since last August that MC is in it for the money. Perhaps her idea of potential and the reality of what is to be made are two very different things, bit I am convinced the motive is profit.

I started reading this forum after MC started getting press regarding the "breakthrough" on DBC. I think she jumped on Grays coattails.

Whether she believes her story to be true is not material to the DBC solution. She has a calculated snarkiness to her narrative which I find contrived.

So Robert, has your opinion of Marla and her story changed since she agreed to answer your questions? I wonder if her opinion of you has changed, lol?

As far as her book goes, if the FBI say publicly that LD is DBC, then I could see the book doing well. Otherwise, it's just another DB Cooper book.

Good job on the article.
"They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in. But later that night, they were shining those lights back down on that mountain again." - Todd Snider