ZigZagMarquis

What is THIS plane... let me try

reply]Okay... lets try this one...

In the 60s, the XC-99 was on static display at Kelly AFB in San Antonio. You could make a donation to aid in its restoration to flying condition at the site which entitled you to tour the inside from cockpit to tail. Aside from the cockpit area, it was a pretty ho hum tour as there was nothing inside but air.:D
They never got it into flying condition and I don't know what ever happened to it.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Here's the link for the current status of this monster!!

http://www.air-and-space.com/xc99.htm

Hey zoobrothertom, thanks for that link. Really nice to know the XC-99 has not been forgotten. Wonder if the Ken Gillespie mentioned on that site is the same Ken Gillespie of big way, world record RW fame?:D:D
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

clr-20.jpg reminds me of a SAAB Scandia 90A.
The 90A was one of several post-World War Two transports (Antonov, Aviation Traders ATL-90 Accountant, Convair, Douglas Super DC-3, DeHavilland Cariboo,etc.) designed to compete with the legendary Douglas DC-3.

Despite more powerful (1650 hp) Pratt & Whitney R-2180 engines, the SAAB 90A offered only slightly better performance and could never hope to compete price-wise with the glut of military-surplus DC-3s.
Finally, huge backlog of work for the Swedish Air Force meant that SAAB was never able to concentrate on production for the civilian market.
Only 16 SAAB 90As were built (mostly for SAS) and most finished their working lives in Brazil.

Convair 440
SAAB Scandia 90A

Nope and nope.

It's european... It was used for carrying paratroopers among other things. Its replacement, which came quite a while later, is often used as a jump plane, especially at boogies. I'll tell you what country it's from if you still can't figure it out.

Dave