ZigZagMarquis

What is THIS plane... let me try

Care to guess when and where the picture was taken?

HW

Philippines, perhaps, where my father's TBM was hit by groundfire that blew the top off one cylinder. That old P&W 2600 still got him back to the Hornet, where he got a wave off and ended up ditching. Lost a second TBM the very next day.

Still have your Dad Jim? It would be cool to pick his brains for stories of his tour of duty. I hope with your writing you have a cache of them already.

jon

No, nor any real attempt to collect stories from his 1943-44 tour with Torpedo Squadron 11. A few anecdotes, only. Shared in the sinking of three Japanese ships, bombed Saigon in late '43, Hong Kong, Okinawa, and covered the Leyte landings. Shame on me.
Hoop
PS I agree with you about the lines of the Corsair, which he flew post-war.

Saipan.
Here's another of my father's 1945 slides (no airplanes, but lots of ships).
He was a medical officer on a ship which ferried troops from Pearl Harbor to Saipan and Leyte Gulf in preparation for the Okinawa invasion.
The original picture is from a trip my parents made there in the early 80s.

HW

Hi howard & Hoop,

For a great read on those days read AMERICAN CAESAR: Biography of Douglas MacArthur by Manchester.

One of the best books I have ever read; and I still have it on my bookshelf.

JerryBaumchen

I concur. That is an excellent book.

I would also highly recommend Manchester's books on Winston Churchill. There were supposed to be three books but he never finished the last one before ill health prevented him from completing his trilogy. Unfortunately, the second book ends as England is left alone after the fall of France and Churchill becomes Prime Minister, taking over from Neville Chamberlain.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Hi howard & Hoop,

For a great read on those days read AMERICAN CAESAR: Biography of Douglas MacArthur by Manchester.

One of the best books I have ever read; and I still have it on my bookshelf.

JerryBaumchen

No disagreement there, Jerry. My copy of American Caesar probably gets re-read every couple of years. Although not a great fan of historical fiction, I highly recommend Herman Wouk's Winds of War and the sequel War and Remembrance. Having grown up in a brown shoe Navy family (albeit a generation later than the novel's setting), I can say it smacks of authenticity. It ranks at the top of its genre.
Hoop

First fighter jet test platform, fake prop was to keep the evil bear from knowing.

Correct.

http://www.aviation-history.com/bell/xp59.html
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

First fighter jet test platform, fake prop was to keep the evil bear from knowing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Silly Twardo!

Joseph Stalin was our friend back when the Bel Airacomet first flew, towards the end of the Second World War.
Russian Communists were not declared "enemies of the USA" until two or three years after the war.
Meanwhile, United States Army Air Force engineers were far more worried about German engineers figuring out how to build jet engines.

What was unusual about the cockpit and attack methods of this fighter?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The pilot lay prone in the cockpit of Northrup's XP-79B jet fighter and it was designed to ram enemy aircraft.

The XP-79B only flew once, but spun in, killing its test pilot.
Fortunately, Northrup was able to apply some of the lessons learned - about flying wings and Heliarc welding - the modern B-2 stealth bomber.

The pilot lay prone in the cockpit of Northrup's XP-79B jet fighter and it was designed to ram enemy aircraft.

Fortunately, Northrup was able to apply some of the lessons learned - about flying wings and Heliarc welding - the modern B-2 stealth bomber.

I've always thought it would be a blast to deliberately ram other a/c; Sort of like an airborne demolition derby!B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've always thought it would be a blast to deliberately ram other a/c; Sort of like an airborne demolition derby!B|

there was also the XB-35 and xB-49, Northrup make a few wings.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Okay, here's another one... what type of airplane is... err... was... this?

A CRASHED ONE
Am I right!!!
LOL
you guys are great lots of fun and history together!
Gues yo are really old!!!!:S
waving off is to tell people to get out of my landing area