SWATcop

Old School Skydive Video

I have many jumps from both Para-commanders. I am guessing its about 1965 as the red white and blue came out in 1964 .The few piggy-backs were also 1964 The Brits were still using aircraft altimeters My first PC had a Midwest Parachute "Shorty" sleeve not the long one shown for static deployment. Ah yes I remember those landings well, thank god for "Frenchies".

Damn did you see those PLF's. My bones hurt.

Didn't look like they were even down wind. My knees remind me of those days every morning.
A couple of those smoke landings looked like true crash & burn landings.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

What a great old video! It brought back a lot of memories. The Golden Knights were really hard to beat back then. I always looked up to them.

Isn't that an H-34 Choctah helicopter? Correct me if I'm wrong. I had several static line Army jumps out of them, in about 72. Hueys were more fun....Steve1

Isn't that an H-34 Choctah helicopter?

It a Wessex. Similar to a CH34 but with a turbine engine.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

I'm not sure the skydive is worth the landing!:D:D:D

You didn't have much choice.;) Of course most of us were still bullet proof back then. That is also the reason that many folks didn't stay with the sport. Square parachutes sure made it a lot easier and significantly dropped the injury rate.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

You should try it under a T10 with a B4 Harness, a Mortar Plate or M60 Machine Gun and about 80lbs of additional crap hanging from your leg!

It certainly kept things from getting boring.

I must admit that jumping into Italy with an M-60 and a ruck was the first time I exited an aircraft without trepidation. After hours of hobbling around with all that junk attached or trying to find a comfortable position to sit with it on, the prospect of having the parachute support it all seemed blissful indeed.

As an aside, it turned out that the Lieutenant who secured the ruck had run out of 80# tape and used 550# parachute cord instead. I luckily tried to break it manually - people who relied on the weight of the bag to break the tape after releasing the ruck wound up with the ruck suspended from their leg, and a broken leg upon landing.

Ah, the good old days....

Blue skies,

Winsor

You should try it under a T10 with a B4 Harness, a Mortar Plate or M60 Machine Gun and about 80lbs of additional crap hanging from your leg!

----------------------------
.... on a moonless night over an unfamiliar DZ ;)

Airborne!