stratostar

Vintage gear collection

What license did you have to have to jump a "high performance" StratoCloud when they came out?

They wouldn't let me jump my 7TU when I first got it because it was too high performance. :P:)
I had almost 200 jumps before I got a Cloud.B|

Same rule at my DZ.
I broke in early too when my Parainnovators XL-30 exploded on a jump.My first reserve ride.
The DZO just happened to have a brand new Unit for sale so out the window with the rule.

bozo

The was the 'Rule' at my Dz...:)

200 jumps B4 'Riding a Cloud'!:ph34r:

I actually got to do it about 25 jumps ahead of
that because I won a bet, getting 3 D.C's one Saturday on my Pap!B|

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

An A licence and training.

~

I didn't need an "A" lic. to jump a round and chest mount. :)

Many jumpers, I knew, didn't even bother with licenses in the old days. The only license I had was a rigger's license (back in the early 70's). When you went to jump at another DZ your log books might be looked at, but usually your word was good enough. Those days are long gone.....Steve1

An A licence and training.

~

I didn't need an "A" lic. to jump a round and chest mount. :)

Many jumpers, I knew, didn't even bother with licenses in the old days. The only license I had was a rigger's license (back in the early 70's). When you went to jump at another DZ your log books might be looked at, but usually your word was good enough. Those days are long gone.....Steve1

I had full intention of going my whole skydiving career without getting a license, but as I recall, there was a demo jump I wanted to go on, so I got my C license. Later on, I wanted to do some PRO demos, so I got my D and PRO.

Yep, times have changed.

Walt

The DZO just happened to have a brand new Unit for sale so out the window with the rule.

Funny how that happens!:ph34r:

Hey!

I had a Unit 3 in a Racer back in the 80's...

Pull when ya got out the door at 12,500 and have a nice canopy by 2000!:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What license did you have to have to jump a "high performance" StratoCloud when they came out?;)

The Para-Plane Cloud, Parafoil, Para Plane Sled. and Strato Star preceeded the "strato-cloud"...
It seems my buddies never Never really thought about needing a license level per se.. mostly what you needed was "big Ones" and good health care coverage:P;):DB|:) ..)
So it was after that 'era',, that people began to think, yes,, a bit of experience seems like a good idea.:| i had 900 jumps on round canopies ( mostly French Papillon ) ( eventually logged over a thousand on a round, including 4 round reserve rides... ) when I started jumping a para-plane cloud, but I had a few years of using my eyes and watching what others were doing correctly AND incorrectly...
....does the collection include a 'style master' rig?? chest mount,, real boxy in shape... intended for jumpers who were turning style series and then shooting accuracy..
Thanks stratostar for the
pics.....

What license did you have to have to jump a "high performance" StratoCloud when they came out?;)

The Para-Plane Cloud, Parafoil, Para Plane Sled. and Strato Star preceeded the "strato-cloud"...
It seems my buddies never Never really thought about needing a license level per se.. mostly what you needed was "big Ones" and good health care coverage:P;):DB|:) ..)
So it was after that 'era',, that people began to think, yes,, a bit of experience seems like a good idea.:| i had 900 jumps on round canopies ( mostly French Papillon ) ( eventually logged over a thousand on a round, including 4 round reserve rides... ) when I started jumping a para-plane cloud, but I had a few years of using my eyes and watching what others were doing correctly AND incorrectly...
....does the collection include a 'style master' rig?? chest mount,, real boxy in shape... intended for jumpers who were turning style series and then shooting accuracy..
Thanks stratostar for the
pics.....

I STILL have my Style Master and Pap.

Unfortunately...the cut-offs never made it past the 70's!:ph34r:

I STILL have my Style Master and Pap.

[:/]reply]

Stylemaster containers were hot back in those days. I had a Stylemaster reserve container that I bought cheap from B.J. Worth. It really packed up tight. I had to almost jump on it to get it closed up around my 24 ft. reserve. I wish I had hung onto all that old gear!. I sold it all for peanuts. The pictures bring back a ton of memories....Steve1

Funny how that happens!:ph34r:

Hey!

Oh heck I forgot about the dual keel 'dactyl I put a couple dozen jumps on before I decided you really werent suppose to land flat on your back, after a flare.
Talk about interesting openings............

bozo

I had a Unit 3 in a Racer back in the 80's...

Pull when ya got out the door at 12,500 and have a nice canopy by 2000!:S

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I don't remember the USPA being that organized to where such BSR's existed. I think the rule was created by each drop zone at their own discretion. I started static line on a T-10, and then the DZO required 75 jumps on a Paracommander-type canopy before moving up to a ram-air. That was strictly by jump experience, and licensing had nothing to do with it. Back then, a lot of people weren't real interested in getting licenses, and that wasn't a big deal to anyone. And you were allowed to skip license levels too. I never got an A, B or C. I just went straight to "D". We're far more bureaucratic now... :o

GQ Security 350 Safety-Chute

And so you now know why all your tickets are for the short bus.:)

Hey!

I didn't post that.....>:(

And....I already KNOW why my tickets are for the SHORT BUS!:P

I hear you John, I have an "A" only because I HAD to have a license to jump at some little DZ in TX, they gave me the SIM of the day, told me to study it, in 10 min. I was so bored I took the test, the guy who graded it said "well.........you can't miss any more" and then quit grading it and told me my "A" was pending and to have fun :)
I was in my "first" 4 way that day, and the only one on the load with a round main :S

I would have had a lower "D" but I was not a strong swimmer thought I would NEVER make a water jump (yes, back then it was Required)

Good Times!!!

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Just depended on the DZ and who you knew then. I went from a Pap to a modified 7 cell Flyer for my first square jump when I had 28 jumps. I had an A license but that didn't seem to be a factor in my getting to jump the square. Went straight from A license to D with the "minimum" number of jumps.:ph34r:
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

"What license did you have to have to jump a "high performance" StratoCloud when they came out?"

How's this for canopy progression?

I started on T-10 in Airborne school and my first jump course at the Ft. Lewis parachute club. When I finished 5 second delays, I was transferred to N.J. Just before I left Ft. Lewis, I bought a used Starlite container with a Starlite in it. (23 footer high performance round with the opeing schock from hell!). I jumped it through 15 second delays in N.J. at Lakewood. Then transferred to Ft. Bragg. Jumped my Starlite through student status and had about 50 jumps when I finally was allowed to jump a Stato Cloud. Placing 2nd in Novice accuracy at Raeford against squares helped convince the powers that be to let me transition early. The first square I owned was a StratoStar in a Wonderhog with a belly band.

Next was a Unit I at about 250 jumps. Oh, those soft, staged (very staged!) openings. A great canopy for reducing opening anxiety and learning to watch your altitude on "lower" pulls.

No A, B or C. Just a D that I finally got at about 500 jumps because i was being transferred to Germany.

Ah, no so easy nowadays!!

My log book said jump # 66, Spring Creek, Cypress TX, Oct 1978. 8500 feet, C-182, sig line is C-10515 and SCR 8258.

I have no idea who these folks are, I was very young and drunk at the time :S

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Its good to see that many people are so into the vintage gear. At my dz I am the only one really into it and I am starting to get a decent collection just myself.

I amd in the process of buying a couple of early ram airs and a delta II or paradactyl for canopies. For containers a crossbow and a strong pop top.

I currently am running about 6 vintage gear sets with paracommanders and papillions, stratostars. Getting a S/L T-10 setup soon.

This vintage gear has so much more character than the present gear that is available. Everything seems to be a ripoff of something else or so similar than it hardly matters.

One thing I would really like to see is a volplane. The only one I have ever seen is in the Poynter manual.

Unfortunately, no picutres as of yet.

We have a few old squares in storage, like a real nice para-plane, but no ones stupid enough to jump it. All of the stuff we like is PC's or knock off's.
We are trying to get a thunderbow and a dactyl but can't get the old farts to give um up.
The one T-10 we have is set up for freefall, it would be easy to change it to S/L.
You need to find your way to the Richmond boogie over labor day and join us for the all round load.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

One thing I would really like to see is a volplane. The only one I have ever seen is in the Poynter manual.

Well, if you're good with a sewing machine, this proud beauty might be available.
It had an unfortunate encounter with a C-150 prop (almost but not quite shut down) on a windy day several years ago when some idiot was trying to use it as a towed ascending device.:S
I "loaned" it to a friend who was going to repair the mangled end cell and haven't seen it since. I think/hope I could get it back.
I even have the original hydraulic reefing system.

HW

Spring Creek, Cypress TX, Oct 1978

I knew those folks, jumped there in 77-79 some. Wasn't there then, but it sounds reasonable. Lots and lots of open fields (well, except for AJ Foyt's ranch with its cattle pond). There's probably a subdivision there now.

The same folks also approved someone to start jumping his new Stratostar in 1975 with less than 100 jumps. Light guy, had been doing well. He continued to do well. I made a lot of my student freefalls at the predecessor DZ (it'd had to move because of encroaching construction). It was a well-run club before they moved out to Spring Creek.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My log book said jump # 66, Spring Creek, Cypress TX, Oct 1978. I have no idea who these folks are...

That sounds like the drop zone that was run by Laird Cogburn and Madolyn Murdock. Madolyn is now on the USPA board of directors.

It was started by John Berke and friends when Weiser decided that skydiving wasn't compatible with their airport any more -- too much development.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If I can make it to the Richmond boogie I will definitely join you guys for an all round load.

A friend of mine has a delta II and a thunderbow. I haven't got a chance to jump it yet. That day is coming shortly.

We have a few old squares in storage, like a real nice para-plane, but no ones stupid enough to jump it.

I would be stupid enough to jump it. I love everything vintage. The character is there. Early squares aren't as appealing as rounds or wings, but they are still on the list for me.

I don't know what I like more, jumping vintage gear or scaring jumpers with vintage gear.