stratostar

Vintage gear collection

Many posters here have asked to see some photos of our vintage collection, so here is about half of the collection shot.
All but five or six of these rigs in the photos are owned by Steve Stewart.
All of these have under gone a rehab and repair, parts replacement type program, most have been washed and the rest will be.
Billy webers SST is in repair wash repack stage,almost done. Many master & SR. riggers have built this collection over the last few years.
They fix um and jump um.
There are four other complete rigs being worked on right now and not shown, for a total at the dz of 20 rigs.
We can count another 17 rigs (not shown) owned by jumpers at the dz (the collection builders).
Rigs date between 1964-1980.

1. SST racer MK-1 lopo, thanks billy weber :)2. Guardian TR-7 23ft russian, lopo
3. Security crossbow pioneer MC-3 (ripstop MK-1) Lopo
4. pioneer para-twin papillon lopo
5. security crossbow MK-1 lopo
6. 1977 wonderhog SN#944 MK-1 lopo
7. mini system MK-1 26ft phantom
8. Mini system MK-1 mills 24
9. Rodriguez "rods rebel" MK-1 23Tri-con
10. Stylemaster Jumbo PC lopo, thanks
Garth Taggert :)11. Mini system MK-1 26ft phantom
12. stewart 4-pin MK-1 26ft phantom
13. Stewart system MK-1 lopo
14. Stewart system MK-1 lopo
15. pioneer B-4 64 switlik T-10 (3 jumps only) lopo
16. pioneer B-4 jumbo PC lopo

There have been a lot of who helped to build this collection thanks to Steve Stewart,Tommymc,Skybill,Jerry Baumchen,Garth Taggart,Rush MC,Billy weber,Bill Cole,Skinnyed. And many others, Thanks for your help, parts,and old rigs,canopies and manuals.

Gee ya think maybe should have put this in history?
Greenies feel free to move it.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

What ever you do, do NOT jump that crossbow2 the way it is rigged.
The left main riser is routed UNDER the reserve cable housing.
Don't know what's going on with the bottom main pin. Looks like the main is closed, but the cone and grommet are not being used.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Is anybody who could tell me what was the first piggyback on the field. It seems to me it was the Crossbow system.
Thank you for your infos.

Jérôme
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

how many jumps/what licence would be needed to jump a round with a front mounted reserve? i was speaking to an instructor at my dz and he didnt know but said he would have thought b-license because once trained on modern systems the reserve drills are so different that more experience would be needed to manage a problem. id really like to jump a round canopy, both as something new and also as its the image i always had of a parachute

You would be correct, however if you look to the bottom of the container you'll see the last cone not pined, the main is being worked on and the container was stuffed in order to get it to stand up for the photo, the risers are empty right now.

~

Re: Parachute Manual by Dan Poynter, 5.250, page 195, GQ Security Parachute Co., Loy Brydon helped develop the Crossbow Piggy Back system in 1964. Pioneer Parachute Co. developed its system in late '64 and marketed them in 1967.--Doc

An A licence and training.

~

I didn't need an "A" lic. to jump a round and chest mount. :)

Youre right Sparky.....by the time I had my A I didnt have to jump a belly reserve anymore. :o)

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hi Strato,

Re: "pioneer B-4 jumbo PC lopo"

If that is the one you got from me, a couple of corrections:

1. It is a Pioneer 4-pin main container but not a B-4; B-4 was/is military surplus.

2. The PC is a Mark I, not a jumbo.

Also, does that Stylemaster still have the solid/split saddle on it? If so, contact me off the board; I would like some info from it.

Thanks,

Jerry

PS) A phenominal collection, kudos to you guys.

I didn't need an "A" lic. to jump a round and chest mount.

What license did you have to have to jump a "high performance" StratoCloud when they came out?;)

The policy where I learned to jump was: 100 jumps on a round before you could jump a square. I guess it's just the opposite now.

Dude,
these are great!!!!
I will post shots of the PC and container I jumped in Oct soon, but here are shots of my "first" rig, I am not even shure of the container type, however; the reserve was a 24 foot flat and the main was a Sierra.

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Awesome collection! Does the wonderhog still have a bellyband? My second rig was a wonderhog serial # 2??. I had it converted to a legstrap after about 100 jumps on it. Sold it years ago.

Here's a question/opinion for you old bellyband jumpers. I was taught to deploy my bellyband with my knuckles forward to prevent the bridle from coming up between my arm and body. When I changed over to legstrap, I continued doing this and never had a bridle wrap my arm or hand. The only time, one time, I lazily reached back and just grabbed and tossed. Sure enough, found my self going through 1400' unraveling it from my wrist!

Anbody got a Starlite system to add to the collection?

Nice collection. I have owned and jumped several of those rigs, including the surplus B4, the security crossbow, the mini system, the style master, the wonderhog, and my favorite the Rodriguez style container which I still have.

Oh man, those pictures bring back some memories. The lineup shot especially, there was a time when the rigger's trailer looked like that on any given weekend. I'm feelin' the love all over again...

Question though, how come the bungees aren't hooked up on so many of the main containers ? The containers are full and I can see the outline of the pilot chute inside, is this just a "wear & tear" issue, like you don't want to hook the bungees up unless the rig's about to be jumped ?

Beautiful job, hat's off to you guys !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If that is the one you got from me,

No the one we got from you is not in the photos, it is owned by one of the jumpers. One of these days when everyone has their rigs I will photo the second half of the collection, another 17 rigs.

Arvel, dig those colors, we got one wonderhog with a sierra set up on hand deploy, 3-ring, lopo.
And a second canopy in a bag, looking for a home.

Zoobrothertom,
No the bellyband I thnk was removed, none of the wonderhogs have the old style.
The one in the line up is sweet looks spanking new and is set up BOC,3-ring.

Bca, It's a nice H/C. Only one I've ever seen.

Tbrown, your right the rigs don't get stored with the bungees tight, do to wear.
I know what you mean about the line, it's even better to see all of them lined up.

I like seeing them too and jumping the ones I own, it is fun to help other guy's find stuff and fix it, in turn they help others, there are a bunch of people who own and collect stuff to jump, but the dz rigs were stored from the old days and needed some care/rehab.

~

Re: Parachute Manual by Dan Poynter, 5.250, page 195, GQ Security Parachute Co., Loy Brydon helped develop the Crossbow Piggy Back system in 1964. Pioneer Parachute Co. developed its system in late '64 and marketed them in 1967.--Doc

Thank you Drjump
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

What license did you have to have to jump a "high performance" StratoCloud when they came out?

They wouldn't let me jump my 7TU when I first got it because it was too high performance. :P:)
I had almost 200 jumps before I got a Cloud.B|
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

What license did you have to have to jump a "high performance" StratoCloud when they came out?

They wouldn't let me jump my 7TU when I first got it because it was too high performance. :P:)
I had almost 200 jumps before I got a Cloud.B|

The was the 'Rule' at my Dz...:)

200 jumps B4 'Riding a Cloud'!:ph34r:

I actually got to do it about 25 jumps ahead of
that because I won a bet, getting 3 D.C's one Saturday on my Pap!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~