Erroll

Jumpship pilots from hell?

I started jumping in Cal City in 98. They had a pilot there named Fred. He was French, and a pretty good dude. We would always blame farts on him when there were pretty girls doing tandems, and he would get all flustered, and turn red. He got me back though...

At the time, I worked in the F-15 maintenance field at Edwards AFB, Ca. Fred sent me a post card of some fat naked chicks addressed to:

Grant Adams
f-15 Maintenance Hangar
Edwards AFB, CA.

and it said "Just your type" on the back.

Well it finally got back to me via the commander. The commander called me in and told me that the card had been all around the damn base, and he told me to "have your FRIENDS not send stuff like this to the base". So needless to say, I got all flustered, and turned red. That RAT BASTARD...:D

I remember meating you there at Bob and Judy's. It was a fun DZ, and I always had a great time there, especially listening to Philly, Bob, Timberly, Paco, You, Richard Park, and the rest of the old timers getting drunk and talking about people going in. It was a great place to learn things. hahahaaa

One of the pilots would not tolerate anyone touching his seat... at all.

He may have had a good reason for this. On a lot of the older Cessnas, there was a problem whereby the seat could come loose from it's track attachment on the floor and slide all the way backwards. Of course, when this happened, the pilots could no longer reach the pedals or they jerked the wheel backwards with them. It killed quite a few Cessna pilots on takeoff...

We had one of the students (I think, not sure) ruin one of the small airplanes (I'm thinking C172 but could be wrong) from the flight school at our DZ that way: after fueling he taxied away when the seat shot back and he couldn't reach the pedals and hit the airport jeep, which was parked (luckily) in front of the airport restaurant terrace next to us, where people were sitting outside...

I missed the hit itself but after the bang I saw pieces of jeep flying through the air...

The pilot then immediately started the engine again! :S

The jeep was fixed but it had a lot of ducktape on it for a couple weeks. Don't know about the airplane...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks,

I got picked up as an enlisted instructor for the Air Force Academy jump team, and I was getting about 500 jumps a year there, but I got out of the AF last July, and I'm growing my hair long, and working on being a hippy. Civilian life is a lot more laid back. I would like to go back to cal city and catch up with everyone some time, but school and work keeps me pretty busy.

Grant

Thanks,

I got picked up as an enlisted instructor for the Air Force Academy jump team, and I was getting about 500 jumps a year there, but I got out of the AF last July, and I'm growing my hair long, and working on being a hippy. Civilian life is a lot more laid back. I would like to go back to cal city and catch up with everyone some time, but school and work keeps me pretty busy.

Grant

Grant,

Did I run into you at the Kitty Hawk demo in Dec. 2003?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Probably we were there. You would have to expound on who you were, as these was like 100 of you civilian jumpers there. We went back the next day to see them try and fly the contraption in the rain, but it didn't work. It was a fun trip, but I was glad to get out of there.

The pilot's name is Billy Compton. I jumped back in 68-69 with Woody and Nancy. I still swear Billy could see through the bottom of the airplane, the only bad spot I ever got from Billy was a 12,5 load with me spotting (about 25 jumps at the time). Billy told me I would need to come right, I gave him one 10 right and I should have given him more. Billy flew P-47's in WW2. He is still alive in Wichita, but getting old and not in real good health. Bes story on Billy is when he dumped Tony Fugit out of the airplane at an accuracy meet. Tony wanted 10 left and Billy knew he didn,t need it. Tony told Billy "G**D*** give me 10 left" so billy zero g'ed it and gave him 10 left which left tony kneeling about 10 foot out side the door for an instant then he left.

Love ole Billy

Hey Dennis, thanks for the reply about Billy Compton. He sure could fly that old 180 of Woody's huh? Glad to hear he is still alive. Nest time I am in Wichita will try to contact him.

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

I remember meating you there at Bob and Judy's. It was a fun DZ, and I always had a great time there, especially listening to Philly, Bob, Timberly, Paco, You, Richard Park, and the rest of the old timers getting drunk and talking about people going in. It was a great place to learn things. hahahaaa

HEY! I ain't gone in... YET!!

:P

HEY! I ain't gone in... YET!!

:P

Baaawaawww, Old timer, (Sparky shakes his head, looking to the heavens)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My pilot from hell....or fun with Brad #1
Big Brad (bad) Mckay.
Brad started flying the same year(1993) I started jumping , at the same airport in Debert NS Canada. A wild group of young pilots were taking over the airport we used for jumping in the spring, when our DZ was still to wet to use. We always used comercial pilots so Brad and I did not cross paths again for some time.

Brad and his buddies would party hard and used the overnight bunkhouse on the airport as their home. One New Years Eve 2 pilots including Brad made a formation flight c172 and c152, right down the main drag of the nearest populated town of Truro at very low altitude, in very close prox. at exactly midnight....over their favorite bar and grill. Of course they wanted all the fame and glory they could get and trurned back for a second pass. The RCMP had no trouble making out registration numbers from the ground...at night.

After his little talk with transport, Brad went on the get his comercial lic. He had big plans for multi-engine time down in Bolivia. He got the job and would be flying DC3's carring cargo over a mountian pass on a daily route. The head pilot would take him up and show him the route in a c152. As they entered the mountian pass this pilot told Brad how important it was to maintain 12.000 feet 'cause the lowest point to cross over would be at 11,500 feet.
Brad became concerned (hands off right seat) when he noticed they were at 11,000 feet and not climing in the hot thin air. The pilot did not show any concern so Brad thought he must know what he is doing. The hills were closing in on the sides and the A/C had dropped to 10,500 feet. Time to turn around Brad thought...but said nothing. Then soon there was no room to turn around and the mountain closed in from the front....Brad ,then knew it was bad. The pilot tried to clear the top... striking a tree about 200 feet tall removing one wing. the A/C then corkscrewed down a tree stopping 60 feet from the ground inverted. Then it fell the rest of way nose first. Brad was hurt but ran from the wreckage until he came acrossed the engine,...stopped, felldown and found he had a broken leg (compound). He turned back to the wreckage to find the pilot alive and moving around. No first aid kit, no ELT, no flight plan, no rescue comming. They made down the mountain with the aid of locals. Brad had a bad head injury a would return home to Canada ASAP.

Brad becomes the last pilot for the Riverbend DZ.
To fly with Brad in a c182 is awsome. I kept a eye on the pilots we used over the years so they would not kill me or damage our jump ship. He was safe...they all were. But he understood flight...not just numbers...but how it feels. He never super cooled the engine or overstressed the airframe. At the same time he would perform breath taking landings after a wild ,crazy aproche. My favorite was a 90 deg angle to the runway...100mph...100 feet agl. He could almost stop that thing in mid air.

We had a lot of fun a laughed all day long taking up loads of students. Brad even helped dispatch them.

Brad went to Poland 2 months ago and brought back an AN-2 Colt. He flew from Poland,Norway,Iceland,Greenland,Canada.....accrossed the North Atlantic...in a single engine A/C against the trade winds. He made it back.
.....mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Oh ya...it's a jumpship! I have yet to get out to the new DZ to try it out, but many others have already had the pleasure.
I am taking a little time off....I have not jumped in 11 months.
....mike

I will see your crazy pilot and raise you mine!

This is the latest e-mail from my favorite jump pilot of all time. He just built a DZ in his back yard.

"Brad View Contact Details View Contact Details
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: 'Cinnamon Girl'
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:32:46 -0300

Fuck'n "A" Brother!!! Blue skies, Black Death!!!

Got Cinnamon Girl painted on the nose yesterday. Hot scantily-clad
lesbian
skydiv'in vampire to follow shortly. Check out the 2005 NS
International
Airshow site. Theres a picture of her in the display aircraft section.
Heading down tonight or tomorrow. Doing a couple of media flights
tomorrow prior to the show.

Goddamn insane summer. Wayyyyyyyy too much fuck'n vodka. Not just
regular
vodka.
"Super" vodka. It didn't taste like vodka. Burned so bad, you
couldn't
taste it anyway.
3 hours after you stopped drinking it, you were still getting drunker
by the
minute.
Fear and Loathing in Poland.

Dude, if you can spare a day on the weekend; I'll fly down and get you.
(
This IS a helicopter ).
I CAN land in silly places. And I'm just silly. I should really be
up somewhere.
We'll scrounge up a rig for you. Beer, jumps, travel, and
accomodations on
me dude. I convinced Wellman he should do CReW with me. Bruce and
Wellman
slapped together a bi-plane a couple of weekends ago. Wellman and The
Unit
actually camp out in a fucking tent here all weekend. Silly old
bastard.

You should probably fly my plane too. It's silly. I'm teaching Lisa
to fly
it. ( and no, ). . .... and she's hot.

Welcome to the Flying Circus. Call me on my cell. I'll come
and
get you you crazy fucker. Yeehaw Batman!! If you think the plane is
cool,
you should see our firepit. It's
obscene. You can cook a whole fucking cow in the thing. Bruce went
crazy
with that island.

Most excellent to here from you. And I will send vampire lesbians to
your
house to kidnap you
if I have too.

Brad