nacmacfeegle

Chuteless survivors

cross post from talk back
This post tells of amazing escapes from high altitude without the use of conventional deceleration techniques.

Noted lucky survivors are Lt. I.M. Chisov, Sgt. Alan Magee, and Sgt. Nicholas Alkemade, who survived high altitude bomber incidents during the second world war, and air hostess Vesna Vulvic, who fell from an exploding airliner, following a terrorist bombing of her aircraft.

Also of note is the recent tale of a Yugoslav Army paratrooper Glas Javnosti who apparently had a double mal, and survived when he fell through the roof of an army building from 3,300ft.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Please gather that info and post the acctual info here. There is nothing to search on in this post and it will still get lost in the future. At the very minimum when you post a link in this forum (which will happen often) write something around it so there are key-words for future searches to work from.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

During WWII, Soviet paratroopers were a little short on actual canopies, so they were sometimes packed in straw and tossed out the door as low as the pilot dared to fly. Most of them survived. I'd be scared to death to have to fight some guy who'd just been tossed out of an airplane, those guys must have been in one surly mood!!!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

During WWII, Soviet paratroopers were a little short on actual canopies, so they were sometimes packed in straw and tossed out the door as low as the pilot dared to fly.

It must have taken alot of straw because those guys balls must have been HUGE and made of f@#kin' steel at that. I've also heard a story of Russians being test droped out of a plane in a tank with a parachute, that way they could just "land and go". To bad all the guys went splat cause the tanks were still doing 30-50 mph....still, balls of steal to try something like that.

A young lady on her 23rd jump, or thereabouts, in So. Cal. went in at the local sewage treatment plant, right up to her chin in you-know-what. She hadn't pulled any handles and apparently had no AAD, so hit at the full advertised 120 mph. She lived, with multiple fractures and internal injuries. Talk about professionalism - a big hand for the ambulance crew that jumped into the doo-doo to move her onto a back board.

I hear that she was wearing a Timex watch, which also survived. She got her picture in a Timex ad for her troubles, but they left out the part about landing in sh*t.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

went in at the local sewage treatment plant, right up to her chin in you-know-what

that reminds me of my dad: he to fell into you-know-what, but not during a jump... he fell of a beam supporting power lines (he is an electrician)... he to had some broken bones, but nothing serious ;):D i don't know if his PLF experience that he gathered in the 6 jumps he made helped? :P

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

On 6/19/78 at Indiantown,fl.Mark MonGillo was making his 9th jump, a 10sec. delay from 3,800ft. He left the aircraft in a stable position and maintained that until he started to pull the ripcord,rolling over back to earth and kicking his legs the pilot chute bridal wrapped around his legs.He then started rolling and kicking franticley rolling the main suspention lines around his body.The main canopy stayed in the d/bag but the suspension lines were around him.The sentinal fired the chest type reserve but the main lines prevented the pilot chute or reserve canopy from getting into the air.He landed with only an MA-1 pilot in tow.When I got to him at the bottom of a 12ft deep irregation ditch with 4in water and 8in of mud I looked down and was totally shocked when he said (I'm OK Pop)!!! Mark servived at least a 90-100 mph impact with a broken right femur and was back on the DZ by the following weekend.After over 50yrs watching 100's of 1000's of jumps I have never watched anything like this to have it come out good...POP

During WW2 they were trawling the British army for volunteer paratroopers.

They asked the Colonel of a Gurkha regiment if he had any men willing to jump out of an airplane at 500ft.

He returned to say he was very sorry, but only 50% of his guys volunteered.

The recruiting officer said, "thats ok, have them report to **** *****, for Parachute training on Monday"

"Parachutes?" Came the reply, "let me go ask them again, I never knew we'd be using parachutes"

:S:S:S:S
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

I used to play w/ THIS guys kid when I was growing up in Tampa Fla. ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////http://www.big13.net/Arch%20Deal/arch_deal_new_6a.htm

Wow, Arch's story just keeps getting better, now it's a baglock... oh well, whatever sells...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Arch was at the ICAS convention about
10 years ago promoting the Miller Lite Skydiving Team..

I heard him tell the story three different ways,
...dang memory!;)

Yeah, I've heard it several ways from him and others. I was jumping in Z-Hills when it happened. Pat Moore who had 2000 jumps at the time was there and tells a somewhat different story. Pat was the weather man at the same station Arch worked at. He had a spinning (Cloud) opening. Cutaway, but one capewell (shot and a half) hung up. He didn't even try to clear the other riser and went directly silver. The (round) reserve entangled with the main. According to Pat, a little less than half the main was inflated and part of the reserve. Arch hit at about (estimated by Pat) 45 mph through an orange tree. He had a number of broken bones, but no internal injuries other than bruised organs.

He told the station (and everyone else) that he'd gone in at 120mph with a "ball of garbage streaming behind" not slowing him down at all. When Pat heard him tell the station manager that he planned to go on the air a tell that same story, Pat told the manager the real story. The manager told Arch not to do the story. Arch did anyway and was fired the next day. It had nothing to do with insurance as the above link would have you think.

I met Arch in 1973 and according to his log book he had about 400 jumps to my 200. On jumps with him, he had trouble falling stable and would wobble all over the place (he usually had to go base). About a year later, he shows up, makes a couple of jumps and asked me to sign his log book. I say great and go to sign jump number 927??? I say, Arch where have you been jumping at to which he replies, just here at Z-Hills... I lived in the loft at the time, packing and jumping so I knew that was bull.. He still had trouble with basic flight skills...

End of rant...

I actually like him fine, he just doesn't live in the same reality that I do.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

During WW2 they were trawling the British army for volunteer paratroopers.

They asked the Colonel of a Gurkha regiment if he had any men willing to jump out of an airplane at 500ft.

The way I heard it, the Gurkha Colonel came back and said hie men would do it, but asked if they could jump from 200 feet.

The Brit was stunned and asked why 200 feet, since their parachutes would not have time to open.

"We get parachutes?"

Noted lucky survivors are Lt. I.M. Chisov, Sgt. Alan Magee, and Sgt. Nicholas Alkemade, who survived high altitude bomber incidents during the second world war

Nicholas Alkemade's grandson, Luke, is currently appearing in the Channel 4 programme, Bomber Crew, in the UK, where, "five grandchildren of bomber veterans are put through authentic training, to form the crew of a genuine World War II aircraft."
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live