wlie

Jewelry danger

I posted this on the talk back forum, but I think this should be a reminder beginning from the first jump course.

Quoting the non-fatal incident reports in Parachutist (July 2002):
--------------
A female jumper was making a topless jump and suffered a hard opening, which resulted in several bruises and a torn nipple from the chest strap catching her nipple ring. The injury required stiches to repair. Any exposed body-piercing jewelry presents a potentially painful snag opportunity that should be considered prior to jumping.
--------------

And I thought that I had it bad when I once clipped my nuts on a jumpers heel flying over his burble.
My other ride is the relative wind.

Usually I go by whether or not it will break. If it's a regular necklace it has a weak link that will give before you get hurt. Some do not have that, like that packing tool. Some, like one really scary one I saw that was made of aircraft control cable, would take your head off before it broke.

For things like watches, earrings etc I tell people not to jump with anything they can't afford to lose, but it's up to them.

I see people jump with all sorts of jewelry. For me, I won't even wear any rings. If you break a finger, you might have to have a ring cut off. How does one break a finger skydiving? if you saw what my landings used to be like, you would know...

Cheers,
NewGuy B|

How does one break a finger skydiving?

In the door.
During a funnel if people don't let go.
On deployment. (Reaching for the risers/Getting caught in twists)
You already mentioned landing.

Those come to mind immediatly, I'm sure that there are probably more ways to break a finger in this sport too.

Be safe.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Bill, I was thinking about the necklace thing this weekend. I wear a closing pin necklace I made with some 550 cord and realized I don't have a weak point in it, so if I got it caught on something, I would be udderly screwed.

I'm redoing my necklace this week...its not worth the risk.

(btw, I thought of it as I was taking my power tool packing thingy off from around my neck before a jump, ironic, eh?)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

And I thought that I had it bad when I once clipped my nuts on a jumpers heel flying over his burble.

ouch.

torn nipple from the chest strap catching her nipple ring

oo..ouch

For me, I won't even wear any rings. If you break a finger, you might have to have a ring cut off.

Someone a while back suggested I take off my wedding ring. While I take off all other jewelry (or usually don't wear any other jewelry to the dz to begin with), that one was an internal dilemma. I don't want to lose a finger, and I don't want to take off my wedding ring. (it's a love thing, not the ring itself) Any thoughts?

"Someone a while back suggested I take off my wedding ring."

Well, I jump with my wedding ring on all the time with no problems... yet (it's just a simple band). My wife (Pammi :)

As for a closing Pin necklace, I wear mine sometimes as well, I'm pretty positive the clasp will break before my neck does, but I still try to remember to take it off..... Packing buddies, hell I can't even keep track of them long enough to put around my neck, I've lost 3 so far.[:/] lol

Blues!

Merrick

It's always best to have only what you need on the jump, less things less chances of something bad.

I think a shirt or a bra might've helped this particular jumper.

... But if I ever decide to scare the other jumpers and do a nude jump, you *know* that my PA is coming out.