goose491

emergency exit

A quick word on part of the initial post not yet addressed:

Around 50 jumps, never having done a hop'n'pop, we had an otter shut off an engine at <3K. The pilot turned around, yelled a loud Get Out, and we all got out calmly and quickly. Luckily I was near the front of the plane with a friend in the same experience catagory of never having done a h'n'p and with about 50 jumps. I remember reacting with kind of a "what, are you kidding" and smiling since I had no clue what was going on. The nice jumpers around us said no hurry, just that we were getting out and so put on our helmets and made sure we were comfortable with doing the low alti jump. They even let us go in front of them to sort of coach us to the door and watch our exits. Everything went smooth, and then I could say I'd done my first hop'n'pop.

It was nice having the distinct "get out" from the pilot, but I think the first time anyone hears from the pilot to take a hike, no matter how clear it is, they will probably not get it imediately so don't feel bad about hesitating.
Don't Confuse Me With My Own Words

>It was nice having the distinct "get out" from the pilot . . .,

Yep, and that's important. Often pilots will say it three times because everyone misses the first one - "What? You want us to what?"

>they will probably not get it imediately so don't feel bad about
> hesitating.

Actually, treat it like a life or death situation, because it sometimes is. There was a cessna crash a few years back where four or five people bailed out of a seriously disabled plane - the last two did not survive since they got out too low. A faster exit may have saved their lives.

If you have the altitude, hesitation may be tolerated. If you're low, and you hesitate, you might find yourself thrown out the door, and such events are not conducive to clean exits or stable deployments.

Risk is relative to the individual.

Yes

Just because 750 feet is unsafe to you doesn't make it unsafe for everyone.

I'd suggest that 750 has a fixed statistical level of risk. I think what changes is the individuals acceptable level of risk. As my mum said, don't go skydiving it's dangerous. Well, it is... to her ;)
Rich M

catagory of never having done a h'n'p and with about 50 jumps.

i still have issues with this... isn't a hop&pop the final requirement of AFF? Or is that just brushed-over at big turbine DZs?

*sigh* i have a huge pet-peeve about people who are afraid to exit at 3k but will deploy at 3 or 3.5 at terminal -- especially when it's a product of the training they were dealt.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

What are you, new? It wasn't always required. At least not as recent as 1998 in Florida. I agree that hop'n'pops are important, and at the same time no big deal once you've experienced one. But it was my first and that's why it was unusual. Hey, the plane could have lost an engine at jump number 8 just off AFF and I'd have still reacted the same way. Enough with the "issues" and pet-peeves, instead of telling me you've got a problem with my past progression, why not go out and be an advocate for the current AFF program. Or if you want to know the whole story of me, then we can go over that too. Either way, I've gotten defensive so am going to end this message since it wasn't my intent.

catagory of never having done a h'n'p and with about 50 jumps.

i still have issues with this... isn't a hop&pop the final requirement of AFF? Or is that just brushed-over at big turbine DZs?

*sigh* i have a huge pet-peeve about people who are afraid to exit at 3k but will deploy at 3 or 3.5 at terminal -- especially when it's a product of the training they were dealt.

I agree. This one has come up before (people avoiding HNPs). HNPs are useful for several for several reasons, but the most important one is getting used to bailing out in an emergency situation quickly at a lower altitude than normal. You should be totally comfortable with exiting the plane at 5 1/2 and below, tracking for seperation, and deployment.

In the real situation, should it happen, don't waste time with your "accessories" (i.e. helmet, goggles, board, tube), leave them in the plane and get the F*** out!

I have an other question relating to this thread. I mostly jump cessna's and an emergency out would only involve 4 to 5 people. Not too many canopies close together. What's the drill if its a big turbine and say has 20 people getting out. Do you pull as soon as your stable out the door. Do you try and track a bit then pull. I realise that height plays an important part in this but what's your thoughts on it.

Tom

Too much is never enough!

All right scud?

>What's the drill if its a big turbine and say has 20 people getting out.

Exit, pull immediately. For people who grew up at a cessna DZ, this is sort of a non-issue; you just keep an eye on the person who exits next so you don't run into him/her. (Remember, it's the guy you _don't_ see who's dangerous.) For people unused to hop and pops with multiple people it can be scary, but it's really not as bad as you think it is. Even 3/4 of a second between people gives you 100 feet or so of separation, and that's enough if you keep your eye on the guy you want to avoid.

i jump at a turbine DZ, and we have done high altitude hop-n-pops where everyone is leaving just a second apart, you have more seperation than you would think.

Exit stable and pull, it is an emergency after all.

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans

Whats wrong with 2500ft, straight on top of the DZ.???
Safer altitude?
Now you have more time to handel a problem, then
On theminal velocity with a pull at 3000/3500ft.

I realize this... this is why I said "safer" instead of safer.... really I only meant HIGHER!

My point was that neither I, nor the others in the plane (including pilot) believed this to be a plane-incapacitating situation. Being on the way to 11,500 and asked to get out under 2,500 is a bummer at best... I might of added that I have done several Hop 'N pops from below this altitude and felt safe
:)
Then again, as I mentioned in my original post: "free hop n' pop"

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Whats wrong with 2500ft, straight on top of the DZ.???
Safer altitude?
Now you have more time to handel a problem, then
On theminal velocity with a pull at 3000/3500ft.

I realize this... this is why I said "safer" instead of safer.... really I only meant HIGHER!

My point was that neither I, nor the others in the plane (including pilot) believed this to be a plane-incapacitating situation. Being on the way to 11,500 and asked to get out under 2,500 is a bummer at best... I might of added that I have done several Hop 'N pops from below this altitude and felt safe
:)
Then again, as I mentioned in my original post: "free hop n' pop"

Chit, in the "olden days" anything above 2,500 & we'd be pulling a 4-way peice off, turn a few points, & still have time to track 'n dump with plenty o' separation! :P
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

For a different point of view, you started by asking two main questions...

1. About "Having" to exit in this situation...

2. The altitude...

Most of the replies have been on altitude, and some good points. As to your first concern on having to get out under those circumstances, it's pretty clear. If the L/O and pilot say out, then it's out. No, the pilot wasn't screaming. What if he had though? I jump almost exclusively from 182's. I'd rather have a pilot I trust calmly tell a load, "Out," than have him start to stroke yelling at everyone "GET OUT!!!" You could very easily end up in a panic type situation, and there just ain't enough room in a 182 for people to get squirrely. As to the leak, it's easy to second guess a leaky cap now that you're back on the ground. The critical point is, you didn't know that was the cause while in the air. The situation would have been quite a bit different if you had tried to ride it up for more altitude, or down, and ended up with a spark and fire outside the jump door. Not a good exit scenario.

From my perspective, the pilot and L/O did the right thing. Your skill level, training, and altitude should dictate which handle you pull. Again, those points have already been pretty thoroughly covered.

In closing, you had three real positives here....

1. Neat entry for the log book...
2. Free jump...
3. MOST IMPORTANT....all got down safely...!!!...