willd

Question on canopy size?

I am a new jumper with only two jumps.I am just curious as to what size they use on students like myself while doing my aff jumps,i will find out on june 4th when i do my next two jumps...After researching on here i found the formula of 1.5 times your body weight to get a good estimate for a safe canopy in square ft...1.5 times my body weight of 195 is 292.5..Thanks for the help
Will daniels
Visit my website
www.Adonispt.com

1.5x's your body weight is how much protein you need...try some Poundstone shakes if you need more help.:P

For your canopy needs during AFF, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your DZ has done this before and will probably put you under something that will have you somewhere in the .75-1:1 wingloading range. Remember that your wingloading is your exit weight. That is all of you, your gear, shoes, helmet, rig...everything you leave the plane with, not just what you weigh.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Exit weight is your weight right before you exit the plane, so add about 30 lbs for the rig, helmet, etc. As a student, your wing loading should be about 0.8 pounds per square foot. Therefore: 195 + 30 = 225. Add 25% and you get 281, so you'd probably end up jumping a 290 sq. ft. canopy.

USPA recommends not jumping a canopy loaded at 1.0 lbs / sqft until you have at least 200 jumps. If more people would follow that advice there would be a lot fewer injuries and fatalities.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

USPA recommends not jumping a canopy loaded at 1.0 lbs / sqft until you have at least 200 jumps.

"The following are suggested maximum wing loadings based on experience level:

a. A and B license 1.0 pounds per square foot (psf) maximum

b. C license 1.2 psf maximum
"

A license is 25 jumps, C is 200.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

USPA recommends not jumping a canopy loaded at 1.0 lbs / sqft until you have at least 200 jumps.

"

True enough. When Willd achieves his A, B and C licenses then that would apply.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"

OH CRAP!
So why am I downsizing to a 220 Triathlon when I weigh 180lbs/185lbs?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Given 30 pounds for gear that would put your exit weight at 215 pounds giving you a .97:1 wingloading.

Add 25% ?
yes no....
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Generally the +25% is added only for students with generally keeps them around .75-.85:1 wing loading.

Again, just like what is said in every thread asking for advice on dz.com....Talk to your instructors or a person at the DZ that is familiar with your canopy skills. The wing loading guidelines are just that, guidelines.

woooh!
thank god!
OK yeah I'm working with my instructors to get down to my own gear!
Wooh! I almost shat my self!

you-you-you!!!

shah! shah!! shah!!!

loose some weight, you're a fucking FAT ASS!!!

i hate to fly with guys like you on my side..

:|

What the hell is wrong with you?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

you-you-you!!!

shah! shah!! shah!!!

He's just being a dork.
I should loose another 5lbs though.

you-you-you!!!

shah! shah!! shah!!!

nothing wrong with me, u're just out of the loop of his usual threads.. and turns every thread into one about him.

same douche as you, but different..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

you-you-you!!!

shah! shah!! shah!!!

nothing wrong with me, u're just out of the loop of his usual threads.. and turns every thread into one about him.

In two posts you called Shah a "fucking FAT ASS" and both of us a "douche".

I'd say you have a problem with something. Including the rules against PAs.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

you-you-you!!!

shah! shah!! shah!!!

In two posts you called Shah a "fucking FAT ASS" and both of us a "douche".

I'd say you have a problem with something. Including the rules against PAs.

PA's are not considered as such when they speak the truth! ;)

go hide in your hole again, troll. we'll read about you early enough when you finally managed to hook yourself in! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

"

C would also be 499. Pretty conservative at that end, isn't it?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Depends on what your instructors have told you if anything. When I completed training, I asked my instructor what would be a good size for me. He recommended based on my canopy control a 170 main and 176 reserve and I weighed 195 without gear! I was jumping a 220 at the time. Well that made me a little nervous so I decided on a 210 triathlon main with a PD 193 reserve which I have made about 130 jumps on. The triathlon IMO is a nice canopy and somewhat forgiving. your weight and a 220 tri isn't scary but only you can decide if you are ready for that. Take a canopy skills course. I took the Scot Miller course and what a difference that made!! Now I'm ready to down size to pilot 188. I also have dropped some weight and weigh 182 without gear.

Depends on what your instructors have told you if anything.

Yep. That.

Ask experts who have seen your flight/landings. If they are OK with it then you might be.

The only way to be sure is to jump it, and then you have to land it. It is a 100% commitment and you won't know until you try.

Have a valid reason to want to downsize (ie. not "to fit my container" or "it should be easier to pack") and ensure you can repeatedly do the things on the various canopy skills lists on the larger canopy before going smaller (eg. accuracy, landing down and crosswind, up and down hills and on the rears).

~ CanuckInUSA

Yep. That.

Ask experts who have seen your flight/landings. If they are OK with it then you might be.

The only way to be sure is to jump it, and then you have to land it. It is a 100% commitment and you won't know until you try.

Have a valid reason to want to downsize (ie. not "to fit my container" or "it should be easier to pack") and ensure you can repeatedly do the things on the various canopy skills lists on the larger canopy before going smaller (eg. accuracy, landing down and crosswind, up and down hills and on the rears).

You are right, Master things and know your canopy completly before downsizing. If you have never done any of the things mentioned above about landing and flight control etc on a bigger more docile canopy then you are not ready to go smaller. Smaller and faster is not the time to try and do something you have never done. after 100 jumps on my Tri I went through the canopy course and learned even more stuff about my canopy I never knew before. I highly recommend a canopy course. Be safe and live to jump other days:)

I am a new jumper with only two jumps.I am just curious as to what size they use on students like myself while doing my aff jumps,i will find out on june 4th when i do my next two jumps...After researching on here i found the formula of 1.5 times your body weight to get a good estimate for a safe canopy in square ft...1.5 times my body weight of 195 is 292.5..Thanks for the help

I don't think you will need a parachute with all those muscles you will just bounce right off the ground.

Yep. That.

Unless your instructors/experts have seen you landing up-wind, down-wind, cross-wind, up-hill, down-hill, on concrete, off the drop-zone, and making turns at tree-top and ground level they haven't seen enough to make that call so you shouldn't jump a smaller canopy even if they say it's OK.

If they have seen all that it's probably because you have bad judgement and shouldn't be down sizing in order to limit the damage you do when you screw up.

Landing canopies straight ahead into a wide open grassy field with limited distractions is not a big deal even when they're getting small although you can't guarantee that every landing will be like that - people get bad spots, people don't see obstacles on the sunset load, people either make low turns to get back into the wind or land cross/down-wind, etc.

You are right, Master things and know your canopy completly before downsizing. If you have never done any of the things mentioned above about landing and flight control etc on a bigger more docile canopy then you are not ready to go smaller. Smaller and faster is not the time to try and do something you have never done. after 100 jumps on my Tri I went through the canopy course and learned even more stuff about my canopy I never knew before. I highly recommend a canopy course. Be safe and live to jump other days:)

Right.

So at the end of the day i have learned that me being around 195/200 and adding about 20 lbs for gear/ putting me at about 220 / .85 will put me around 240/260 square ft...Once i feel comfortable with landing then might consider going to 1.0..I wont put a time line on that,better to be safe....
Will daniels
Visit my website
www.Adonispt.com