mcrd29

Help!! Cant pick a dz for AFF in TEXAS

Im a newbie here and have been checking out online most of the dz in Texas. After reading all the reviews I'm still having a hard time deciding which one to do my AFF course at. Would appreciate advice from those who have received their A license in Texas and the pros/cons for their dz. I live in San Marcos but with all the horrible reviews from dz.com about Skydive San Marcos I am not sure that this would be the best place for me. Thanks guys.

I have to agree with the review's from what I have heard! SD Temple is a very nice place. Great DZO and staff. They are also about to get a turbin 206 and i think next mount they are getting an Otter. They are getting the otter this year just not sure of the date. I jump at SD Dallas (great DZ also) but way to far for you! We did have one guy that drove up here every weekend for training cause he didnt like SDSM. But i think SDT would be a great fit for any new student or up jumper:)

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I chose Skydive Dallas because of the quality of the coaching program between AFF and A license. It worked really well for me...see this post about my first day as a licensed skydiver.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2896015#2896015

Of course, Skydive Temple has folks almost as friendly as Skydive Dallas! ;)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Im a newbie here and have been checking out online most of the dz in Texas. After reading all the reviews I'm still having a hard time deciding which one to do my AFF course at. Would appreciate advice from those who have received their A license in Texas and the pros/cons for their dz. I live in San Marcos but with all the horrible reviews from dz.com about Skydive San Marcos I am not sure that this would be the best place for me. Thanks guys.

If you are in the Houston area then Skydive Houston is seriously the place to be. That dropzone will treat you like family all through your student status and forever after. I've jumped a lot of different places and after I moved to TX it took me a few dropzones to find a place that was comfy, safe, and offers a warm welcoming vibe for students AND fun jumpers, and Skydive Houston ended up being my home. The instructors up there will take care of you if you're looking to do your AFF.

It sounds like you're more in the area NW of Houston if you're looking at Temple and SDM, so if you are shopping around SDH is just down 290 a bit for ya! Look them up!

HTH! B|
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Check out Skydive Spaceland. We have the A in a week program. We have the safest training in Texas. We also have working aircraft, 5 Otters and 2 caravans. If you want to learn to SKYDIVE come to Skydive Spaceland. If you want to party, I heard the other dz's around do good at that.;)

i only have 5 jumps from 3 different dz and i would recommend skydive dallas. they have an awsome staff and top notch equipment and instructors.dont get me wrong if you do a dive and your performance is not up to standards you will be doing it over to go on to your next level.but i personally would rather to have to learn correctly,all of my skills than just to be passed on without doing so.also after your first dive aff level 1 if you pay for your next dive before you leave they give you 40 dollars off each dive.all the way thru aff 7.i hope this was helpful...:)

The closest places to you are Skydive Houston, Skydive Temple and Skydive 35. Spaceland and Dallas are great places but there are a long drive to get there. I would recommend Temple as they are close and they have great staff. You're right about San Marcos- very bad vibes.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I have been in the sport for quite some time and have jumped all Texas dz's, even some that have since closed.
I believe with your interest in getting the quality you are searching for you should go to a dz you are interested in and ask to visit with one of their Jumpmasters. If you feel uncomfortable with their response or the Jumpmaster cant find the time to answer your questions then you can just easily move on to your next choice.
Everyone you speak with here on this forum is gonna have their own opinion of every dz. The wisest thing to do is to find a facility that YOU are comfortable at. As far as I know, no Texas dropzone has intentionally endangered or hurt a student.
So in all it is about finding a facility that you are relaxed and comfortable at.

I completed AFF at Skydive Temple in Texas, and got my A license there too. I love that DZ so much, that I am going back to visit from my new home in DC. I have been to 6 DZ's in my lil 80 jumps, and absolutely hate that I do not jump at Temple every weekend anymore. Like someone said, they just got a 206 aircraft and are getting an otter soon, which will just complete Temple all together! Go check them out, you'll feel like family right when you enter the door, and you will receive some GREAT instruction from their staff!

-Evo
Zoo Crew