QuickDraw

St00dent Question

Ok..I need some advice, after AFF and the consols..
What should I look at next ?
Bearing in mind I have not finished AFF yet, I don't know what I should be aiming for.
I realize that I need FS1, (not too sure if that is also CBT) WARPS is another.
After that I'm not too sure ... I want coaching and I suppose I would like to do everything, but I would rather be safe at the moment and just get good at a few disciplines.
Can any of you share your learning curves with this n00b ? [:/]

Eagerly awaiting your sarcasm ;)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Well..the best thing I can suggest is to get good on your belly. I listened to some discussion this past weekend on this very subject. There was a lot of experience in the room including Mike Ortiz and John Pinyon as well as a couple other people with 1000 plus jumps. The general concensus was....You really can't put a number on when to start "doing other things" like Free Flying. More that you just need to be confident and able to do whatever you need on your belly. I still say this is going to take AT LEAST 50 jumps. Then start with sit flying as that is going to be your Free Fly recovery postition. Once you are good at that and can move, turn, dock, generally be where you want to move onto head down. As with anything....competent coaching goes a long way. The best advice I can give....be patient. You'll live longer and jump a lot more.

One step at a time,finish training then really learn to FLY your belly,get the coaching, get video, get confident and be able to do whatever it is you want to do when you want to do it...
Then take another step...
Have fun and play safely!!!

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Hmmm, this is interesting . . .

I think I see at least a couple of folks telling you to learn belly flying first and I think I might -sort of- agree that in freefall that might not be a bad idea, but . . .

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the ONE thing that MOST students need to learn as soon as they get cleared to solo is how to control their canopy and make basic landings.

You'll eventually learn how to freefall any way you want, but unless you learn basic canopy control skills early on, you may have a few gaps in your training while you heal. ;)

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Excellent point !!! Such a revolutionary idea I mean learning to survive w/o injury before perhaps learning to geek the camera in freefall??

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

Learn your belly, belly is one of the most important things in skydiving (if am wrong please do correct me), and also learn how to fly the parachute cause this one is the most important thing of all, a bad landing can make you stop jumping for a while.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

>Eagerly awaiting your sarcasm

Ok here goes:

> and just get good at a few disciplines.

Get good in a few disciplines?? Whew, I thought you wanted to do something challenging...
;)

Seriously, all of the above is good advice; get solid on your belly before freeflying, and pay attention to canopy control too.

Erno

Hi. I'm "just" a 'St00dent' too...But like you, I ask tons of people tons of questions...
..Here's the general consensus that I'M getting from some of the most experienced jumpers: get as much coaching and JM/Instructor in-put as you can right from the get-go. It is really SMART to work on the basics to really start out with great form right from the beginning.
Personally, I'm gonna put most of my first priorities on stability with flying with my belly to earth (is THAT what is referred to as Relative Work???) controlling the canopy (do some DZs actually have training in this area?!?) and landing well/accurately.
Have fun & Be safe :)

First of all thanks for the input guys/girls ;)
I was reading an article on downsizing earlier (or sommat similar)
and was wondering if some of the exercises used in that post were applicable ?
i.e. riser turns/dives/stalls and comparing the amount of height lost.
Is there any "standard" student canopy exercises ?

Also i have broard shoulders and find it hard to form the lazy "w", anyone else out there suffer from this ?
...any tips on how to overcome this problem ?

BTW... Airhead best of luck on your AFF ;)

I'm fucking winning

Best advice I can offer is to crack through relative (belly to earth) work either through the UK WARP system or the US Skydive University system. They both cover the essentials of flying on your belly with other people in the air. The other people with you bit is relevent to most skydiving disciplines at the moment.

If you are UK based please pay particular attention to the comments on learning canopy skills. With the exception of Chris Lynch's canopy skills course there isn't a formal UK procedure and it's a mainly learn from your mistakes situation (if you can still walk). If you can get on Chris's course do so, it's advertised in the next edition of the mag.

Once you have the belly flying sorted work out which direction you want to go and never stop smiling B|

Rich M

RichM

Hey! What IS THIS Skydive University system that you mentioned? Is this something that I can check out after I finish AFP?

(I'm currently training at Skydive Hastings in Michigan.) Thanx - Lila.

http://www.skydiveu.com/ the search is a really good event, you should check it out (and it will get you at least a little warmer in the winter)

Skydive U and WARP (the predecessor to SU) are structured RW coaching systems. They are post AFF/AFP/student progression.
Definitely good value for money whichever system you choose.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

>Ok..I need some advice, after AFF and the consols..
>What should I look at next ?

I would put some genuine effort into parachuting
fundamentals - canopy control, exit separation,
spotting, tracking, gear, packing ...

And I would think about who I want to be in the
skydiving world and who I want to hang out with,
artist, innovator, competitor, recreational weekender,
world traveler ...

Each generation puts a lot of effort into doing
the current fashion, style and accuracy, stars,
sequential, freestyle, boards, head down, wingsuits,
but you need the fundamentals and some sense of who
you are as a compass as the fashions come and go.

Skr

I would put some genuine effort into parachuting
fundamentals - canopy control, exit separation,
spotting, tracking, gear, packing ...

Thanks skr and everone else, it is much more clear to me now.
I think this bit was what i needed to hear,
so i will tread this path for now ;)

I'm fucking winning