aresye

Totally going to get yelled at for this idea...

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I'm sure many people have thought of it. First off, this is not something I'm talking about doing soon, but maybe a couple years down the line, if I can.

I'm active duty military, so I don't get a lot of time with my family. They're very supportive of my new addiction to skydiving, even though they're still a little nervous about it. After all, it is their son jumping out of a plane at 13,000ft.

I live in a small town right outside of State College, PA known as Boalsburg. I have an incredibly large field in my backyard (40+ acres), plus many other large fields nearby. You're already thinking, "Oh great, I know exactly what he's trying to do."

I want to do a surprise entrance one of the times I have leave in the future, but was wondering what the law is for jumping at a site. I know a couple friends dads who are pilots, who would likely support the idea.

I'm not talking about just asking to jump into my field, and having a pilot take me over it. I'm talking about careful planning, wind directions, altitude limitations, clouds, etc. It would not be a spur of the moment thing, but a jump that would take weeks of planning prior to me arriving, and not something I would do anyway if the conditions are not optimal.

Just an idea I had, and discussed it with a friend who got me into skydiving and he thinks it's a cool idea, but I want to hear from others on the board if this idea can be molded in the future, or am I just way off target and completely out of my mind? My gut feeling tells me it's not possible because of laws, but I want to clarify this first with other board members.

Now commences the ass chewing...
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Thanks for your military service.
Discuss this with your AFF instructor, S&TA or DZO.
They will sort you out on the paperwork, aircraft use, safety, FAA regulations, your own abilities, etc.
A lot of the folks here have done crazier things than jump on to a 40 acre backyard.
Do a bunch more jumps and surprise the hell out of your family in the future, they'll love it!
Stay Safe!

Its not hard to do. All you need is a rig, a plane, a field large enough to not be considered a demo and a NOTAM. The NOTAM is easy to file, but understand something. You couldn't fathom the number of jumpers that have been hurt jumping into special events like this (think skydiver weddings and santa claus jumps), since you actually have to have the skill to land in an unknown area correctly without getting hurt, causing damage or hurting someone else on the ground.

So I would highly recommend you chat with your local S&TA as well as a pro-rated demo jumper about the plane.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not a problem at all once you have a little more experience. A 40 acre field(ifit is all open) is larger than alot of DZ landing areas I know of. I have 3 acres and my neighbor has 4, i use to bring a Cessna into a private strip close to the house and jump here on New Years and 4th of July.

All you need to jump anywhere is property owner permission and alert air traffic control 2 min. pryor to jumping. A NOTAM( Notice to Airman) is a good idea and I would also call the local ATC well before hand so they are expecting you since you are not jumping there on a regular basis. You are not calling to ask permission, you are calling to let them know what you are going to do. This is of course as long as there are no airspace issues where you plan to jump.

I added this last part because we had a jackass at Flight service cancel our NOTAM one 4th of July and did so for every one in Georgia because HE thought we needed a waiver from the FAA to do a "demo" jump. We jumped anyway and it took half the day for everyone in georgia to straighten out what this one jackass did because he didn't know what his job was.

Depending on the area, you may need a FAA Waiver of Far 105 (Jumps over Congested Areas 0, A DOT permit, in either event they are easily aquirred but both will take upwards of 30 days.
Once the waiver is issued there are usually 25 or so conditions that must be met.
examples:
ground to air communication
taget visable from 3000'
ground crew
It really is not that difficult. Especially because you are the LZ owner.
Note: Iusually include a notification to local police, EMS, and neighbors. Rather than have them learn about it from dozens of 911 calls.

Best Advice:Speak to local S&TA. He will have to sign permit anyhow. If you need further help PM me, I have all the documents you will need.

In Accordance With (IAW), not a waiver.
jumps over congestd area is IAW Far 105. They won't waive anything for that...air shows get LOTS of waivers though!

Local FAA fellers are kind enough to remind me that everytime I submit a request for authorization.

My adv is that before leaving the semi-controlled environment of a DZ you should be knowledgable and skilled enough that you don't need weeks of preparation to do this. I would be OK with leaving an airplane above any patch of open ground if I were familiar with the area and knew the ground winds.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I could see jumping into a wedding or high school reunion being "interesting." I'd be more worried about some drunk dumbass running in the way while landing than anything..... but I guess that's what flat turns and steel toed boots are for ;)

j/k btw

Cool idea aresye, hope you get to do it sometime down the road.

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251