bmoore21184

WFFC or Skyfest

Hey all,

I was looking into going to WFFC this year since they moved it up and I will actually be able to attend. I will be Houston over the summer on leave and saw the ads for Skyfest. The reason I really wanted to go to WFFC was to do all of the unique jumps (helo, bi plane, hot air balloon, mullins, maybe even jet) and jump with people from all over. Skyfest is going to have all of these aircraft except for the jet. So I guess the real question is... is WFFC still worth it for the atmosphere and sheer size? Has anyone been to both and can compare the two? Thanks a lot. Cant wait for this summer!!

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'

I went to both last year.I had a great time at both but they both have a little different things to offer.

On top of all of the things you mentioned the WFFC is like a reunion.If you know alot of people from all over you will see alot of them there.Good organizing for all group sizes.Great party atmosphere.I think weather or not you have a good time would depend on how good you are a meeting people or how many people you know that will be there.

Skyfest is a smaller crowd.Very friendly,good organizing and for a good cause.Jay does a great job putting that thing together.

If you are traveling by yourself and already in Houston I would go to Skyfest.

Hey all,

I was looking into going to WFFC this year since they moved it up and I will actually be able to attend. I will be Houston over the summer on leave and saw the ads for Skyfest. The reason I really wanted to go to WFFC was to do all of the unique jumps (helo, bi plane, hot air balloon, Mullins, maybe even jet) and jump with people from all over. Skyfest is going to have all of these aircraft except for the jet. So I guess the real question is... is WFFC still worth it for the atmosphere and sheer size? Has anyone been to both and can compare the two? Thanks a lot. Cant wait for this summer!!

Thank you for considering us. You are correct that we will have the same A/C as WFFC. The jet has not been there in years, yet the buzz about it seems to be.

I actually was offered the jet last year assuming it will be ready to jump by then, but more details would have to be worked out. I do see it in the plans for 2007. The other AC they had last year is actually out of TX and LA. I have their contact info, but again more details would have to be worked out to make it happen.

SkyFest will have a ton of vendors and a gear auction on Sat. night. Just compare the websites for a list of vendors to see who will be where.

Chris is correct. Each event has it's own qualities. Personally, I feel that SF is more geared to your jump level. But, that is just an opinion. WFFC has a ton of load organizers, as does SF. SF will focus on up coming jumpers, like yourself, the first three days of the event, thus possibly enabling you to have more confidence when trying to join the more experienced jumpers. Both events offer a great time. WFFC has been around a long time and SF is on its 6th year. Remember, SF is based on a man's 41 year history in the sport, Jerry Schrimsher.

Which ever you choose, be safe and have a great time!!

Ok Sky fest may have most of the same AC as WFFC But do they have Free bands every night?, Free beer after 7 EVERY NIGHT,the Perk of being the WORLDS LARGEST boogie ?, a 40,000 sq Ft. swoop pond ...? that will be hosting Many events at this year put on be Air Zone Xtreme?(www.Airzonextreme.com), or possibly the Paris (Cali) Dc-9 (in certification now), AND all for the Low price of $49 dollar is pre reg by July 7th? WFFC has well over a dozen vendors,Free camping ON the DZ HUGE LZ's (well over 3 acres of land to land in as well as aditional 20 acres around the DZ incase you happen to get a bad spot ) Shuttles around the DZ if you happen to land off site. Free Showers,Awsome people and just an Awsome boogie People are friendly as they should be at any boogie

The World Free Fall Convention is such a success, that it has turned its sights to helping the communities which host it. In Quincy, IL, the WFFC has sponsored Future Farmers of America, the Quincy Humane Society, and the Quincy Special Olympics.

Rantoul, IL has seen its Kids Foundation, Fire Department, and Air Museum benefit from the generosity of Don Kirlin's annual event. In all, the WFFC has provided more than $100,000 to charitable organizations.

Each year there is a sense of accomplishment and pride in what has become the largest skydiver's boogie in the world. Don Kirlin and the WFFC staff welcome you to Rantoul to participate in an event second to none. Whether you anticipate new jump planes, making new friends, relaxing, or all of these and more, join us for ten glorious days in eastern Illinois.

HERE IS 2005 FLEET WE HAD
2005's Fleet of Jump Aircraft:
Capable of up to 8,000 jumps per day!

DC3 - (didnt have a Sky Fest)

Fat Annie the ATL 98 CARVAIR - (Didnt have at SkyFest)

Sikorsky S-58 - (didnt have at Sky Fest)

Inverted Bi-Plane - Pitts Bi-Plane -

Utility Aircraft's PAC750XL -

Mike Mullins Super King Air - The Fastest
Jumpship...EVER -

The only H.A.L.O. jump allowed in the United States, organized by Kevin Holbrook on Mike Mullins Super King Air -

Mike Mullins Super King Air - 23,000' High Altitude Jump -

Raffle for 30,000' H.A.L.O. Jumps -

Carolina Sky Sports Fleet of Casas -

Skydive Arizona's 2 Super Otter's and Super Skyvan -
Hot-Air Balloons -

summery WFFC
Free Beer,Free Bands,Free Camping,Working showers,awsome people who cater to all jump level even can do AFF Here ....and .... ,Awsome AC All For $49 For the WHOLE 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!

summery Sky Fest
Smaller boogie .....and cater to begining jumpers (may not be the best for advanced jumpers),most of the same AC but not all,dont think they have free bands every night...?, Awsome people (as at any boogie)

You make the desision

but mines WFFC 2006

B|
WFFC STAFF 2006
www.freefall.com
Questions? Call the office at 217-AAA-JUMP

Updownshop is affiliated with Skyfest. You're affiliated with WFFC. I don't think either of you are very impartial. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey Jay, What manufacturers will be coming this year. I know a few won't be going to Rantoul due to whatever reason. Will they definately be at skyfest?
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Well, you missed a couple of things about Skyfest:

WFFC
Free Beer,Free Bands,Free Camping,Working showers,awsome people who cater to all jump level even can do AFF Here ....and .... ,Awsome AC All For $49 For the WHOLE 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!

Sky Fest
Smaller boogie, less danger in the landing zone, 134-acre LZ with outs all around, 2 major swoop ponds, cater to beginning jumpers, POPS bigways, high altitude jumps, obtaining skydiving awards, jumping with a freefly or a belly coach, and/or jumping on a 20-way with all females, most of the same AC, Free Beer, Free Bands, Free Camping, Free working showers, Awsome people who cater to all jump levels even can do AFF here, Indoor packing area....I'm tired already.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So far...

JS Scholarship Fund
Sunpath
PD
FreeFall
RWS
HiperUSA
Alti-2
Birdman
PhoenixFly
Skysystems
Single Helix
DZ Memories
Tony Suit

... less danger in the landing zone [than at the WFFC] ...

Sir, which landing zone at the WFFC is dangerous?

The "main" landing area? Hopefully you are not refering to the student landing area, where the AFF students land, and where anyone is free to land.

Or the countless other places to land if you wish. (Pictures may be viewed on the Safety Info page of the WFFC web site.)

And at what times are the landing areas congested at the WFFC? Perhaps on the busiest days during the mid morning to mid afternoon surge.

Mike Mullins flys 2-3 loads early in the morning where his load is the only one in the air.

All this talk about the dangers of the WFFC... Tsk, tsk, tsk. The real danger is the golf carts at night :)

I went to both last year and I am having a hard time myself picking just one for this year... But with Gas Prices like they are.. I too am going to have to choose just one.

If you are going mainly for the Jumping, I think Skyfest wins hands down. Skyfest is a great event for a good cause put on by great people. The main focus of Skyfest is the Jumps.
Last Year Skyfest had Beer and Bands too but the party is not what Skyfest is really all about.

If your goal is to get in a few Jumps and party your ass off.. Then it should be WFFC. WFFC Attendance has been in decline the past couple years but it seems they are responding by lowering the registration fee. Hopefully this will help and people will start coming back. Even with the lower attendance numbers, It is still the largest Boogie in the world and a great time.

...The real danger is the golf carts at night :)

Probably true!
:D:D:D

Watching canopies coming into EVERY landing area from ALL directions at the SAME time is not my idea of safe.
Yes, it happens everywhere to some extent. Some places more than others. Historically common at WFFC, quite rare at Skyfest...so far.

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like you should know your events a little better before you start compairing.Let me answer your questions so it doesn't look like you and Jay are getting into a pissing contest.Does Skyfest have:

-Free Bands-yes
-Free Beer-yes,served in bottles and cans not solo cups
-Swoop Pond-yes
-Organizing and planned events-yes
-The Perris Jet-After the historyand controversy surronding the jet I would not talk about that until there are jumpers walking up the steps
-Registration-Cheaper,as it should be for a shorter event.I still think a daily rate is a better idea.I spent $70 to be at the WFFC for two days last year.
-Vendors-yes,check the website
-Free camping-yes
-Huge landing area-yes,it's Texas
-Pickup from off landing-yes
-Free Showers-I don't know.I had a hotel room
-Awsome people and boogie-yes

Now since you felt compelled to try to show all of the things you thought Skyfest didn't have,I was only able to attend the WFFC for the first weekend last year.While I was there The DC-3 was not there,the Sikorsky was not there,the Bi-plane was not there and the Pac-750 was not there.Maybe you can see why I think a daily registration was in order.

If you want to grow an event do it by making it better not by trying to show what someone else doesn't have because they might just one up you next year.If you have the greatest place to be you don't have to worry about what is going on down the street or half way across the country.

Before everyone starts raising hell go back and read my original post.

First of all..

THANK YOU ALL!!!! THIS MEANS EVERYONE. Moderaters, customers, friends, jumpers,LO's,newbies, dads, moms, sons, and daughters for all of your support over the years. Even if you have never been to SF we would still like to thank you for being a part of this sport. We need to do everything we can to keep it alive and safe.

I remember when we started SF six years ago thinking wouldn't a mini Quincy be cool. Well somehow I guess we have done that, yet we are different. It is truly an honor to be compared to the WFFC in SOME ways. WFFC is a major part of Skydiving history and if you know anything about SF, we are all about that.

The fact that SF has such a buzz is exciting and unnerving as well. Not sure if we could provide the service we demand for say 1000 people....YET:)

There have been a lot of changes in the past few years, especially with the vendors and where they will go. Yes skydivers like to party, as do the vendors, but business is business and, well, lets just say that you will notice a change this year.

My feelings are the same in my previous post. But I will add this, events are like buying a rig. Pick two important features for you and go find the one with those qualities. Its that easy:ph34r:

Thanks again to everyone and be safe and have fun.

Hope fullly Jaime and I will see you folks at some other event during our road trip, for a partial list go here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2202926#2202926

Watching canopies coming into EVERY landing area from ALL directions at the SAME time is not my idea of safe

Skydiving is not safe, and no one should be told that they will be safe or safer at a particular drop zone or event.

Using the picture attached to the message, please indicate the landing areas where you have seen "canopies coming into EVERY landing area from ALL directions at the SAME time".

To the others reading this post: Do you know that all of the areas annotated are available for landing canopies? (Plus some others off the photo.)

Is there anyone that truly thinks they must land in M1?

And by the way, where are all those canopies that are said to fill the congested sky at the WFFC?

I don't see all that many, and when I look at all the pictures in the archive on the WFFC web site, I don't see that many canopies in many of those either.

Hey Gary

I think that the photos you went through will never show everything.

I know what Andy is saying and he is correct and so are you.
I have traveled to many a DZ's in the past few years and it happens everywhere, some more than others.

The traffic at WFFC is of course greater mainly due to the number of people at the event, and with that comes people not following the rules. Thus creating an opportunity that may not be so comfortable for newer jumpers or experienced for that matter.

Its a risk just as our sport is, the question is: What is comfortable for the person" which is a matter of perception and everyone has their own.

Its like saying that a SA2 150 flies faster than a SA2 190, not really true, but the jumper jumping both may "feel" like it is, when in reality there is very little difference if any at all.

Would you admit that having 100 people in the air from different aircrafts in their own groups is more likely to have traffic problems then say a 100 way RW attempt? Now take that same 100 group and multiply it by 10, what do you have? 1000 people that are not working as well together to land. That can be a major problem. Does that make the WFFC alone an "unsafe" place? NO, does it create "situations" of course.

It does however demand that the information get out to the jumpers, not just newbies but everyone that might have some concerns. Which may really be the point here that some might be trying to make.IMO

Hope you are well, hey we will be in the KS and MO area in September, hope we can catch up sometime.

J

Aircraft edits:
1. The PAC 750 was not there, they never had any intention of going even though it was advertised.
2. Helo - The Sikorsky was there and a news helicopter 'dropped' in as a skydiver was ferrying it back to where it belonged.

A helo, by the way, is just another helo. Then there's Rod. Hands down I don't believe you can compare that ride to another helo.
------
Michael

:)
I don't have a heck of a lot of jumps, but I have jumped at a number of DZ's and from a lot of different jump ships. Anytime you are at a new DZ or Boogie, you must completly understand the lay of the land, landing areas and proper landing patterns. That is just common sense.

I got stated in skydiving because of the awesome parties at the WFFC in Quincy. Volunteered as a full blown WUFFO at the registration tent and over the years the party interest faded some and the skydiving fever rose.

The parties at the WFFC in Rantoul are still rockin', but the skydiving is truly outstanding. I can't do both boogies this year.....but maybe next year.

Which ever boogie you choose, know that you will have one hell of a great time skydiving. Afterall, knees in the breeze is what it's all about.

Beautiful Landings!

Streaker
Have a yippee ki ya day!

(besides, it's bad design to do that anyway)

Thank You.

I can't stand websites that play music or "Cute" sounds. As soon as they start I'm outta there.

ok then.... back to "My boogie's better than yours".

Aimed toward the beginner ?? Don't tell that to the POPS guys. :P

See you at SF.
;)
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock