kallend

Where to stay at Deland?

I'm going to the FL POPS record attempt in March, at Deland.

Where's a good place to stay?

I stayed at the Holiday Inn there last year - it was not the best holiday inn I've stayed at, but was close by and was a decent place to stay when you are going to be spending most of your time at the DZ.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Last time I was there in 2001 there was a house near by and the rooms were rented on a nightly to monthly basis - I cannot remember the name of the person who owned the house - ask in manifest, it was really convenient.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Do you want a hotel, or a place to crash?

Holliday inn is a good deal for a hotel, and bunk hoses are about 15 night.

If you want a bunk house PM me and I'll give you a contact.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm going to the FL POPS record attempt in March, at Deland.

Where's a good place to stay?

There is a Holiday Inn and a Days Inn nearby, and a Howard Johnson's that isn't too far away. There are usually rooms available in local rental houses available by the night. Tents are also allowed on the DZ. The dropzone also has a bunkhouse for a couple dollars a night or so, but I don't recommend it except as a last resort, even when it is available.

For Great Deals on Gear

Is the Holiday Inn within walking distance, or would I need to rent a car?

Depends on what walking distance means to you. I'd say it's about a mile away. It wouldn't be too far out of the way if a local who was also doing the jump fetched you on their way to the dz. How are you getting from the airport to the dz?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Depends on what walking distance means to you. I'd say it's about a mile away. It wouldn't be too far out of the way if a local who was also doing the jump fetched you on their way to the dz. How are you getting from the airport to the dz?

I thought the DZ was at the airport. Isn't it?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

She meant, "How are you getting from Orlando (or Sanford) to DeLand?"

Are you renting a car or taking DOTS?

I haven't read the whole thread, so this may be redundant. The dropzone has a housing list. Write to [email protected] and ask for the list to be mailed back to you. Or you can call 386-738-3539 and have a copy faxed.

There are bed and breakfasts, private houses--both skydivers and non--as well as quite a few motels in the area, depending on how far from the dropzone you want to be and how much you want to spend.

The housing on the list has been checked out by the dropzone. There are other places listed in a notebook on-site that have not been as well as people who post rooms for rent on the bulletin board in front of the gear store.

There's camping on the dz (free, next to the landing area), or you can stay in the bunkhouse for a nominal fee (nominal for good reason).

I'll probably be gone by the time you get here. :|

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

She meant, "How are you getting from Orlando (or Sanford) to DeLand?"

Are you renting a car or taking DOTS?

How about I arrive in my own plane?

rl

Damn - I was hoping for a date:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The Holiday Inn is probably your best bet then, but I'd still get the housing list. The taxi ride from here to the Holiday Inn costs about $5.

rl

Damn - I was hoping for a date:P

And I was so hoping to have a long, intimate chat with your lady friend. :|

>:(:D
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

lol...I guess that'll work too. :ph34r: Yes, Rhonda was right, I was assuming you were coming in on a commercial airline to one of the large airports. I'll be so disappointed in my friends there if someone doesn't offer you a ride back to the hotel!

If Rhonda isn't available for a date, I wouldn't mind be second runner up. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon